Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 21-06-17, 09:30 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,796
AMD launches their EPYC series of server processors

AMD launches their EPYC series of server processors, which offer between 8 and 32 cores per socket and 128 PCIe lanes across the lineup.



Read more on AMD's EPYC series of server processors.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-06-17, 09:58 AM
Chopper3's Avatar
Chopper3 Chopper3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, Dorset
Posts: 185
The PCIe lanes thing is erroneous as the Xeon uses QPI to act as a socket-to-socket communication channel whereas the AMD will use 64 of its PCIe lanes to do the same job, also note that QPI has more than twice the bandwidth than PCIe - meaning socket-to-socket comms will be much slower on the AMD.

So yes if you have a uni-processor server you get all those channels but really it's a 40 vs. 64 situation and very few server users use more than 32 or so per socket, we tend to balance devices across CPUs.

Oh and the AMD clock rates are quite slow.

Is there any mention of CPU functions supported by these AMD chips - in particular AVX2 and AES-NI - it they don't support them then many applications will run considerably slower.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M, Memory: 32 GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200Mhz, Graphics Card: Asus ROG 1080 ti, Hard Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H115i Pro, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: Asus ROG PG348Q 34" 21:9, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-06-17, 10:41 AM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
The PCIe lanes thing is erroneous as the Xeon uses QPI to act as a socket-to-socket communication channel whereas the AMD will use 64 of its PCIe lanes to do the same job, also note that QPI has more than twice the bandwidth than PCIe - meaning socket-to-socket comms will be much slower on the AMD.

So yes if you have a uni-processor server you get all those channels but really it's a 40 vs. 64 situation and very few server users use more than 32 or so per socket, we tend to balance devices across CPUs.

Oh and the AMD clock rates are quite slow.

Is there any mention of CPU functions supported by these AMD chips - in particular AVX2 and AES-NI - it they don't support them then many applications will run considerably slower.
It does support those functions. AMD have supported both since bulldozer at least.

Epyc is supposed to replace existing dual xeons setups with single chips. That is what they seem to be targeting anyway. The price is good and as long as the performance (and arguably Linux support) is good it'll do well.
__________________
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-06-17, 10:54 AM
Chopper3's Avatar
Chopper3 Chopper3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Christchurch, Dorset
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
It does support those functions. AMD have supported both since bulldozer at least.

Epyc is supposed to replace existing dual xeons setups with single chips. That is what they seem to be targeting anyway. The price is good and as long as the performance (and arguably Linux support) is good it'll do well.
Who's replacing dual-xeons with single AMD though - Everyone i know is looking forward to the Purley Xeons with 28c/56t (and soon 32c/64t), I'll still want two per server.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 M, Memory: 32 GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 3200Mhz, Graphics Card: Asus ROG 1080 ti, Hard Drive: Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H115i Pro, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: Asus ROG PG348Q 34" 21:9, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-06-17, 11:25 AM
dario dario is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper3 View Post
Who's replacing dual-xeons with single AMD though - Everyone i know is looking forward to the Purley Xeons with 28c/56t (and soon 32c/64t), I'll still want two per server.
All of us who are interested in price/performance ratio. Just thinking of how much I will save on not having to buy software licences for two CPUs is very exciting!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-06-17, 02:20 PM
Kleptobot's Avatar
Kleptobot Kleptobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 225
Currently AMD's server market share is next to nothing, so as long as they can carve out a profitable chunk then they're doing pretty well.
__________________
delided 3570k (watercooled)
hd7970 (watercooled)
8GB Gskill XM
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 02:20 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.