Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 16-06-17, 07:04 PM
The Guvnor

ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Gaming Review

As the Zen architecture continues to surprise and amaze us with its combination of price and performance, ASUS step into the fray with the Strix F.

ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Gaming Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-06-17, 07:25 PM

Think I'll be getting one of these to replace the utter garbage that is the Asus Prime X370 Pro (on Number #4 now through RMA's, still no working RAM clocking despite now having 5 different kits listed on the QVL), maybe it will actually get BIOS updates more regularly as well
Old 17-06-17, 06:53 AM
OC3D Crew

Nice review. Clean and precise. I agree with Tom on RGB Chipset heatsink, but we can survive. This is the perfect middle range board.
Old 17-06-17, 07:35 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I think I like this as my 2nd favorite looking board. Behind the Pro Carbon, but I'd probably get this over that due to a more than likely better BIOS.
Old 17-06-17, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Sweet review TTL! Definitely going to get one of these if my Carbon's BIOS doesn't improve in the AGESA 1.0.0.6 update.
Old 17-06-17, 04:29 PM
OC3D Elite

I do believe this will be the motherboard I go for. Thanks for the quick review.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 17-06-17, 04:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Gorgeous board

I think if I do finally decide to go Ryzen though I would go B350. I don't run NVME drives and only have the one GPU now.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 19-06-17, 10:24 AM

but is it really stable?

for a decade i build only intel systems.

not that i am an intel fanboy but i need fast systems as i am, what is now called, a "content creator".

since 2006 or so intel always gave me the best bang for the buck, with great system stability.

before that i was an AMD user since the 386 days.

because of the great price/performance ratio of the ryzen CPU´s i build a ryzen system for a friend, this month (so i already had the benefits of BIOS updates).

but i have to say my experiences are less than stellar.

the RAM compatibility debacle has not affected my build. RAM works fine.

but there are so many small and annoying things with this ryzens system that it really is no fun.

and i found the system to be not 100% stable when running 24/7 at full load.
temps are ok (~65-68 grad celsius).
but i don´t really trust the chipset and bios yet.
it doesn´t feel as perfect as intels to be honest.

now when you ask around the internet you barely get a honest answer... to many blue and red fanboys.

i really would like to see a trusted reviewer go into details about the smaller issues and glitches he noticed and the overall system stability of the ryzen mobos.

in this comments 3 people already voiced there disappointment with ryzen mobos... so i am sure not alone.

for me stability is more important than max performance per dollar.
so i am more tempted to build a 8 core X299 system than a X370 (or maybe 10-12 core x399)... just from experience that intel is stable.

even if i have to pay 100-150$ more for an intel system with the same performance.

greetings from germany!
Old 19-06-17, 10:38 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmoth View Post
but i don´t really trust the chipset and bios yet.
it doesn´t feel as perfect as intels to be honest.
Currently running as I type.

Intel Xeon E5 2680V2 8 core 16 thread @ 3.3ghz
Intel 5820k @ 4.6ghz on Alienware board.
AMD Phenom 2 X6 1055T.

OK so now we have cleared that up (just so that you don't accuse me of being a "fan boy" (god I effing hate that term) let me detail some things for you.

1. When Nvidia released their 680, 780 and 790i chipsets for Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad it was wrecked with memory problems. It took many months to sort out and even then you could not use a 64 bit Vista as it would just crash.

2. Sandy bridge. Remember all of those people who bought it at launch, then had to return their motherboard because the revision meant they would probably lose data?

3. X79. Had the same sorts of memory issues as Sandy did at first.

4. X99. I had all sorts of issues with the sound cards in my rig. Took about 9 months for a bios that actually worked, though it has disabled my second sound card and I can not re-enable it.

These problems are not limited to AMD. However, you gotta cut them some slack. It's been nearly a decade since they launched a new platform and these sorts of issues always happen on a brand new platform.

You will note I do not have a Ryzen CPU or motherboard yet. However, I emphasise yet as I am probably taking the plunge later this week. I feel that enough time has passed now for it to be safe, but then I have done that on every "new" tech I invest in. I have never jumped on something on day one apart from a GPU which I have also had problems with on both sides.

These things take time to fix. So it's probably best to either be patient, or, return the board you bought and buy one you know works properly.

Young man ya too girly girly, you're just a Cadbury's Curly Wurly
Old 19-06-17, 10:53 AM

Quote:
return the board you bought and buy one you know works properly
that is the thing. most reviews are not going very deep.

i can´t get a real idea about how stable a board is from a test that only lasts 2 days.

i am never first to buy something, i can wait and let things mature.
but in case of the ryzen build it did not really help.

or maybe i had to wait longer....

i am now in my 40s... 10-15 years back i did not mind to spend days to fix a problem on a new system, to work it out.

btw: please don´t mention VISTA... that was nearly as bad as win98 SE.

today i want my systems to run rock solid so i can spend my time working on the PC (3D creation, video creation, a bit of coding).