Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-06-17, 12:48 PM
News Guru

PCI-SIC accelerates the creation of PCIe 5.0

PCI-SIC accelerates the creation of PCIe 5.0, with plans to complete the standard in 2019.

Read more on PCI-SIG's PCIe 5.0 standard.

Old 08-06-17, 01:02 PM

totally unusefull since not even the 1080 ti can utilice PCIe 3.0 to max. This is just another tech announcement that serves for nothing.
Old 08-06-17, 01:36 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piskeante View Post
totally unusefull since not even the 1080 ti can utilice PCIe 3.0 to max. This is just another tech announcement that serves for nothing.
Emmm... graphics cards for games are not the only things that use PCI-e lanes.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 08-06-17, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Emmm... graphics cards for games are not the only things that use PCI-e lanes.
That's true, but if a GPU cannot max out PCIe 3.0, nor will do any of the other devices you may consider, even the fastest Nvme ssd's.

So, your statement those not change much of what i said.
Old 08-06-17, 02:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
That's true, but if a GPU cannot max out PCIe 3.0, nor will do any of the other devices you may consider, even the fastest Nvme ssd's.

The rate at which GPU's, SSD's, and other devices are growing is still quite fast. By 2019 there is no guarantee that add-in cards won't at least take somewhat advantage of the additional bandwidth and throughput. To claim that it is a waste makes little sense to me. The furthering of technology can often be seen as a waste initially, but that's because all technology doesn't advance at the same rate. That doesn't mean you should sit on your ass until someone else catches up. If the technology is there to be developed, develop it. The quicker they are to the gate the quicker it'll be initialised and integrated at a cost consumers and businesses can afford.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 08-06-17, 02:44 PM

Quote:

People were arguing you stance when PCIe was first coming out. Cards of the day couldn't saturate an 8x AGP slot.

Giving any device that connects to a PCIe lane a lot of bandwidth id a good thing. Faster devices can talk to each other the better.

Dismissing this as unuseful is ignorant.
Old 08-06-17, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
The rate at which GPU's, SSD's, and other devices are growing is still quite fast. By 2019 there is no guarantee that add-in cards won't at least take somewhat advantage of the additional bandwidth and throughput. To claim that it is a waste makes little sense to me. The furthering of technology can often be seen as a waste initially, but that's because all technology doesn't advance at the same rate. That doesn't mean you should sit on your ass until someone else catches up. If the technology is there to be developed, develop it. The quicker they are to the gate the quicker it'll be initialised and integrated at a cost consumers and businesses can afford.
i get your point. and i aggree. The thing is: PCIe 3.0 made it's very first appearance in 2009 with revision 0.5 It finally lauch in 2010 base 0.9. it's been more than 7 years since then, and not even the most powerfull GPU has ever been able to exceed or max out. In fact, many articles have been written about this issue, and the results are that a 1080ti in pcie 3.0 will only be like 1-2% improve from pcie 2.0

There is not a single review that has ever shown a noticeable increase in performance from 2.0 to 3.0. In fact, 3.0 is almost doubled the bandwith of 2.0 and still the differences is sometimes irrelevant.

Now, what i would like to point out is that, whenever (and this has been proved true for years) there is an advance in technology, even though is just not needed, once it's accepted by manufacturers, implies an increase in price.
So they are going to charge you more money to get a mobo pcie 5.0 which you´ll never use, not even in years now.

Moreover, consider that we are close to getting to silicon limits, so even if the process goes to 5nm, there will not be an advance in performance as we´ve seen lately unless we get a way to increase our performance just not by increasing core/mem speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xacid View Post
People were arguing you stance when PCIe was first coming out. Cards of the day couldn't saturate an 8x AGP slot.

Giving any device that connects to a PCIe lane a lot of bandwidth id a good thing. Faster devices can talk to each other the better.

Dismissing this as unuseful is ignorant.
ignorant?? ok, so you are saying that the more speed a pcie has, the better speed talking to other devices. That's not true. The speed is not a problem for the already 3.0 but for the devices connected to the pcie 3.0 to achieve 15gb/s.

So a 200gb/s pcie 5x will increase the speed of the pheripherials connected to that bridge?? are you ing kiddin?¿??

who is the ignorant??? you. ok, that sounds better.
Old 08-06-17, 03:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
ignorant?? ok, so you are saying that the more speed a pcie has, the better speed talking to other devices. That's not true. The speed is not a problem for the already 3.0 but for the devices connected to the pcie 3.0 to achieve 15gb/s.

So a 200gb/s pcie 5x will increase the speed of the pheripherials connected to that bridge?? are you ing kiddin?¿??

who is the ignorant??? you. ok, that sounds better.
I have managed to run PCI-E 3.0 out of bandwidth with graphics cards, it is not that difficult if you know how.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 08-06-17, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Sorry but that's just not the case - I'm a server guy not a gaming guy and we have lots of things held back by PCie 3.0 speeds - specifically NVMe and Optane memory - the latter can easily flood PCIe 4.0 on pre-release servers using 'Purley+' Xeons.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K, Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus VI Gene, Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence DDR3 1866Mhz, Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 980 ti SC+, Hard Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 500GB + Intel 750 NVMe 800GB, Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D, Power Supply: Corsair AX860i, CPU cooling: Corsair H100i, OS: Windows 10 Pro x64, Monitor: AOC AG241QG 24" 165hz, Headphones: Logitech G35 3D, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB, Mouse: Razor Deathadder Chroma
Old 08-06-17, 05:45 PM
AMD Enthusiast

This doesn't make sense. So they just made 4.0 useless and that releases next year? So they are saying in the span of one year, we are going from 32GB/s to 128GB/s?