Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 27-05-17, 06:30 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,638
AMD AGESA update 1.0.0.6 - Do BIOS updates matter?

Let's have a look at AMD's new AGESA update 1.0.0.6 and how much of a performance impact this new code update has on ASUS' X370 Crosshair VI Hero.



Read more on AMD's AGESA update 1.0.0.6 and Ryzen's performance changes.

__________________
I'm not saying that 1984 is a bad book, but the dystopia we are currently living in has much better worldbuilding.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 27-05-17, 06:50 PM
stealth80 stealth80 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Shame you didn't run those gaming benches with faster ram. The main selling point of Agesa 1006 is access to faster than 3200mhz ram speeds and as we all know - that has a massive effect on the latency across the infinity fabric, especially in gaming.

Any chance of running those 3 games @ 1080P again with maybe 3400, 3600 and 4000mhz ram? Of course that is if the board/CPU are actually able to run the ram at those speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 27-05-17, 07:04 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth80 View Post
Shame you didn't run those gaming benches with faster ram. The main selling point of Agesa 1006 is access to faster than 3200mhz ram speeds and as we all know - that has a massive effect on the latency across the infinity fabric, especially in gaming.

Any chance of running those 3 games @ 1080P again with maybe 3400, 3600 and 4000mhz ram? Of course that is if the board/CPU are actually able to run the ram at those speeds.
This is something that we are looking into. Sadly right now we do not have faster DDR4 to test with, but we are working on acquiring some.

To put it simply this testing is to see if there are any performance benefits from this new update without any hardware changes. From here we will be looking deeper into this new BIOS options and conduct further testing to see where we can gain additional performance.

This testing will act as a platform from which more in-depth testing can be done, hopefully allowing everyone to learn a little more about Ryzen in the process.
__________________
I'm not saying that 1984 is a bad book, but the dystopia we are currently living in has much better worldbuilding.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27-05-17, 07:10 PM
stealth80 stealth80 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
This is something that we are looking into. Sadly right now we do not have faster DDR4 to test with, but we are working on acquiring some.

To put it simply this testing is to see if there are any performance benefits from this new update without any hardware changes. From here we will be looking deeper into this new BIOS options and conduct further testing to see where we can gain additional performance.

This testing will act as a platform from which more in-depth testing can be done, hopefully allowing everyone to learn a little more about Ryzen in the process.

Nice, thanks!

In the meantime, I will just sit here and wait for Agesa 1006 to release for the Gigabyte Gaming 5, contrary to some articles online, the current beta bios for gaming 5 is based on Agesa 1005
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27-05-17, 08:46 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,420
3000-3200Mhz memory is still likely to be the sweet spot though. That's what I predict anyway. And even if performance scales well past 3200Mhz, the price increase, the low availability, and the high timings for high speed memory might put people off.
__________________
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ⁞⁞ 4670K 4.5Ghz ⁞⁞ Nepton 240M ⁞⁞ ASUS Fury Strix ⁞⁞ Fury 16GB ⁞⁞ Define R4 ⁞⁞ AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung EVO 120 & 500GB ⁞⁞ WD 1TB & 3TB
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX ⁞⁞ Fidelio X2
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-05-17, 01:35 AM
Celt Celt is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
I'm running 3466 MHz stable, 3600 Mhz stable for all but stress tests.

Oh and by the way, unless those Corsair sticks are Hynix chips, you should probably not be using 9945, which is really for 4 sticks or some HYnix cases. The recommended version for two sticks of Samsung would be 9943, which should result in better results.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-17, 07:50 PM
bals2oo8 bals2oo8 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth80 View Post
Nice, thanks!

In the meantime, I will just sit here and wait for Agesa 1006 to release for the Gigabyte Gaming 5, contrary to some articles online, the current beta bios for gaming 5 is based on Agesa 1005
When did you last look? AX370 Gaming 5 is showing BETA F6g (6/2/2017) AGESA 1.0.06
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-17, 09:42 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Valhalla
Posts: 12,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
3000-3200Mhz memory is still likely to be the sweet spot though. That's what I predict anyway. And even if performance scales well past 3200Mhz, the price increase, the low availability, and the high timings for high speed memory might put people off.
For price/performance I agree. But take the price out of the situation and I think 3666 with low timings (the special GSkill ram I think) is probably the sweet spot and anything after won't benefit, like 4000mhz
__________________
“There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power.”
-Gandalf
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-17, 11:50 AM
Bartacus Bartacus is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,333
3600 is hit and miss even if you have excellent B-die ram. 3466 seems a lot easier to hit. These AGESA updates have a long way to go yet.
__________________
Guts: Ryzen R7 1700 / Asus CH6 Hero / 16GB G.Skill 3600CL15 / Zotac GTX 1080Ti x2 / EVGA 1000W PSU / Case Labs M8
Storage: Intel 600p 1TB NVME
Water Cooling: Watercool HeatKiller IV blocks on CPU / GPUs / 360 + 420 rads / Singularity Computers D5 top / reservoir

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-17, 12:17 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is online now
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
For price/performance I agree. But take the price out of the situation and I think 3666 with low timings (the special GSkill ram I think) is probably the sweet spot and anything after won't benefit, like 4000mhz
If prices for RAM had not risen as they did and Ryzen supported it better, I would probably consider Trident Z's 15 or 16CL 3600Mhz memory. It's not THAT much more money, but it is harder to find the heatsink colour I want (orange/black).
__________________
MSI Z97 Gaming 7 ⁞⁞ 4670K 4.5Ghz ⁞⁞ Nepton 240M ⁞⁞ ASUS Fury Strix ⁞⁞ Fury 16GB ⁞⁞ Define R4 ⁞⁞ AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung EVO 120 & 500GB ⁞⁞ WD 1TB & 3TB
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX ⁞⁞ Fidelio X2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump








All times are GMT. The time now is 05:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.