Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-05-17, 08:39 PM
News Guru

AMD to release a Ryzen refresh before Zen 2?

It looks like AMD will be releasing a Ryzen refresh before moving onto their Zen 2 architecture and GlobalFoundries new 7nm process.

Read more on AMD's upcoming Ryzen refresh.

Old 20-05-17, 09:14 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Hopefully the refresh allows a better thermal range.
Old 20-05-17, 09:15 PM
too many shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Hopefully the refresh allows a better thermal range.
even if it just fixes the silly thermal problem on the x editions its a winner
Old 21-05-17, 08:37 AM

AMD's Business Strategy

When you deal with AMD its either Feast or Famine.

After release much of nothing for the better part of the last 15 Years AMD is in the opening stages of a blizzard of announcements.

First Ryzen 7
then Ryzen 5

Now in the next quarter we can expect

The Vega graphics Card
and The release of Epyc (formerly Naples)

before the year is out we can expect

a Ryzen 3
a Threadripper (formerly Winterhaven) for High End Desktops

follow up 2018

with a new line of APUs
Ryzen +
and then Ryzen 2

I know AMD has to make up for lost time but isn't this going off the deep end ?

Massive announcements only serve to make the consumer pull back. I know of a number of people that have adopted the strategy of waiting until the dust settles.

Yes business decisions don't wait and it is logical to get the business version of Vega out the door first as well as getting Epyc shipping ASAP. But announcing Ryzen + and Ryzen 2 before they even have one solid quarter of sales figures for Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 ? That leaves me scratching my head. Maybe the folks in the AMD Front Office need to brush up on the "Osborne Effect".
Old 21-05-17, 05:26 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Think you need to brush up on investors who care about there money.
They need a long term strategy to prove to investors there plan is in place and they aren't wasting money. To inspire confidence in the company so when they deal with other companies it's easier to get better contracts between them due to a lower risk on AMDs side and when dealing with banks they get much lower interest.

It's really not a big deal. They are doing everything right at the moment
Old 21-05-17, 06:08 PM

Intel are a tad vulnerable because of their complacency. AMD have a compelling product, best they maximise the opportunity to increase market share before the competition can respond in the CPU space, and steal what they can in the consumer an professional GPU space. They are a tiny operation compared to Intel and Nvidia, and loss making. They have to go big to build investor confidence in their prospects.
Old 22-05-17, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSaff View Post
Intel are a tad vulnerable because of their complacency. AMD have a compelling product, best they maximise the opportunity to increase market share before the competition can respond in the CPU space, and steal what they can in the consumer an professional GPU space. They are a tiny operation compared to Intel and Nvidia, and loss making. They have to go big to build investor confidence in their prospects.

iSaff what I am addressing is the customer decision process. Intel may very well be vulnerable at this time but that has little to no bear in whether a costumer decides to go out and purchase a new machine. When word gets out there will be new Ryzen replacements in the near future consumers will pull back and wait. People who frequent message boards know exactly there will be a new Ryzen 2 Generation announced in Mid 2018. Even if people are set on a Ryzen 1 build it would make sense to hold off until the Ryzen 2 announcement to pocket any price cut savings of Ryzen 1 Chips when the announcement is made public. To my knowledge AMD has said nothing of whether the Ryzen 2 Chips will be 'drop-in' replacements in existing motherboards. This would go a long ways to encouraging the Fence Sitters to jump in.
Old 22-05-17, 07:35 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
iSaff what I am addressing is the customer decision process. Intel may very well be vulnerable at this time but that has little to no bear in whether a costumer decides to go out and purchase a new machine. When word gets out there will be new Ryzen replacements in the near future consumers will pull back and wait. People who frequent message boards know exactly there will be a new Ryzen 2 Generation announced in Mid 2018. Even if people are set on a Ryzen 1 build it would make sense to hold off until the Ryzen 2 announcement to pocket any price cut savings of Ryzen 1 Chips when the announcement is made public. To my knowledge AMD has said nothing of whether the Ryzen 2 Chips will be 'drop-in' replacements in existing motherboards. This would go a long ways to encouraging the Fence Sitters to jump in.
You're over reacting quite a bit... No one is going to wait for​ over a year to buy a new machine.

As for next Ryzen chips being able to drop in current boards. Yes it will be possible. AM4 socket is being supported till 2020.
Old 22-05-17, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
So they will be announced in a year, there is always new hardware thet will be released next year. And I doubt the majority of people purchasing CPUs stay up to date on AMD's shareholder announcements.
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Old 23-05-17, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
So they will be announced in a year, there is always new hardware thet will be released next year.
I beg to differ. On the CPU Front its been pretty lean for AMD over the last 5 years. They've been turning out different variants of Bulldozer and that's been it. They have been more content to specialize in APUs. The reality is AMD is announcing follow on variants of Ryzen before they even have possession of 1 Full Quarter of Sales Data on the present product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
And I doubt the majority of people purchasing CPUs stay up to date on AMD's shareholder announcements.
In the days of the internet information moves at the speed of light. The low end of the Desk Top Computer Market is drying up fast. There is a growing trend among Desktop Users of replacing the bulky machines with Single Board Computers. ASUS has read the handwriting on the wall is now producing the Tinkerboard. This is the way things are moving. That leaves the more tech savy Top End to maintain the Desktop Market Base. Among that crew many are looking for long term solutions. They are not content to continue the trend of turning over their equipment every 4 to 7 years. They are looking for equipment that will stick around for 20 Years and show a new willingness to wait if it means they will acquire terminal end technology. I would expect Winterhaven, Threadripper, Ryzen 9 to do exceptionally well when it is released while Ryzen 5 and 7 will be disappointing performers.