Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 16-05-17, 09:13 PM
News Guru

AMD announces plans to release Navi and Zen 2 on 7nm

AMD has announced plans to release next-generation CPU and CPU architectures on a 7nm FinFET manufacturing process.

Read more on AMD's future CPU and GPU plans.

Old 16-05-17, 09:40 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Take that Volta and your 12nm Design!
Jokes aside, if they plan on 7nm I don't expect anything new until late Q2 at the earliest and probably a mid Q3 launch as likely. Considering 7nm from GloFo isn't supposed to hit volume production until Q1 sometime. Unless they go Samsung who I think is supposed to start this year? Don't remember what it was.
Old 17-05-17, 01:18 AM

So will updated Ryzen chips on 14nm be out late this year early next or will it jump straight to the 7nm process? Sorry if it's a dumb question I've been out of PCs for awhile and I'm just collecting parts for my first build.
Old 17-05-17, 01:38 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ1mech View Post
So will updated Ryzen chips on 14nm be out late this year early next or will it jump straight to the 7nm process? Sorry if it's a dumb question I've been out of PCs for awhile and I'm just collecting parts for my first build.
ALL the Ryzen CPUs/APUs launching this year are on the same 14nm process.

Next year with Zen 2 CPUs/APUs, they will be on a 7nm process. Don't be sorry for asking a question, sometimes it's confusing
Old 17-05-17, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
ALL the Ryzen CPUs/APUs launching this year are on the same 14nm process.

Next year with Zen 2 CPUs/APUs, they will be on a 7nm process. Don't be sorry for asking a question, sometimes it's confusing
Thank you. Yea looking at their roadmap chart it's hard to tell if Zen 2 is a 2018 or 2019 launch.
Old 18-05-17, 04:06 PM
OC3D Elite

A process shrink should help tremendously with Zen. Vega 20 was rumoured to be on the 7nm process as well next year. It could be a Vega 10 GPU shrunk down with a massive boost in clock speeds. Maybe we'll see the first 2Ghz AMD GPU.
Old 18-05-17, 04:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
A process shrink should help tremendously with Zen. Vega 20 was rumoured to be on the 7nm process as well next year. It could be a Vega 10 GPU shrunk down with a massive boost in clock speeds. Maybe we'll see the first 2Ghz AMD GPU.
Yup. Wondering now if that is when they plan to unleash the 32/64 beast I've heard rumours about.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 18-05-17, 04:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Yup. Wondering now if that is when they plan to unleash the 32/64 beast I've heard rumours about.
Yeah, 'cause Vega is still supposed to compete with Volta so AMD will need to refresh Vega if they want to remain competitive at the top. Otherwise the whole 1080/Fury X thing will happen all over again. Navi could then introduce a Polaris replacement in Q3 2018 and big Navi could then come Q2 2019 and replace Vega fully.
Old 18-05-17, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Will be interesting if they keep to their word "We're supporting the AM4 socket until 2020".

Would be cool to keep the Crosshair VI and drop in a Zen+ CPU.
Old 18-05-17, 08:15 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Will be interesting if they keep to their word "We're supporting the AM4 socket until 2020".

Would be cool to keep the Crosshair VI and drop in a Zen+ CPU.
Well they could technically support it but release a new socket. Just release AGESA and driver updates till then... they wouldn't be lying
But I am 90% sure they mean Zen architecture based CPUs are going to be supported on AM4. I would kinda hope AM4 as a socket is kept, obvious reasons, but I sure do hope they at least update chipsets to keep up with I/O(like more NVMe or USB Gen 4 or whatever)