Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 23-04-17, 08:12 PM
News Guru

SK Hynix's GDDR6 memory will release in 2018

SK Hynix has announced that their GDDR6 memory will release in 2018, coming with 2x the speed of GDDR5 while operating with 10% lower voltages.

Read more on SK Hynix' GDDR6 memory.

Old 23-04-17, 08:19 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Basically a refined GDDR5X with a little more speed but much better voltage levels. They were able to release it pretty fast considering GDDR5x didn't come out much to long ago.
Old 23-04-17, 08:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
SK Hynix has been planning to mass produce the product for a client to release high-end graphics card by early 2018 equipped with high-performance GDDR6 DRAMs.
Haha, we all know who that is... Nvidia!
Old 23-04-17, 08:21 PM
OC3D Elite

No HBM2 for consumer Volta perhaps...
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 | Intel i5-6600K 4.6GHz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3GHz CL15 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix A8G | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p
Old 23-04-17, 08:29 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Basically a refined GDDR5X with a little more speed but much better voltage levels. They were able to release it pretty fast considering GDDR5x didn't come out much to long ago.
GDDR5X was made my Micron and pretty much nobody else, GDDR6 was always coming but Micron made GDDR5X to fill in the gap by making a few key changes.

GDDR5X is pretty much a refined GDDR5, doubling the prefetch size to achieve some performance gains. In theory, this was going could achieve double the performance of GDDR5 but that hs not materialised (some estimate that it will max out at around 12Gbps). With the release of the GTX 1080 it has 10Gbps chips and now with the 1080Ti it has improved to 11Gbps, yes it is much better than GDDR5, but not GDDR6 material.

Nobody has ever mentioned the power characteristics of GDDR5X, so for all we know it consumes more power than GDDR5, can't really be sure.

GDDR6 offers a proper improvement that is worthy of the name GDDR6, lower power consumption and double the performance. This is similar to the move from DDR3 to DDR4.
Old 23-04-17, 09:06 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I know. All I was saying is this is a refined 5x. Which it is
It's not that great of a performance improvement over 5x. But it reduces power consumption. So thats refined in my book
Old 23-04-17, 09:23 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I know. All I was saying is this is a refined 5x. Which it is
It's not that great of a performance improvement over 5x. But it reduces power consumption. So thats refined in my book
Erm, GDDR5 = 8Gbps per pin, GDDR5x 10-11.4Gbps per pin, GDDR6 16Gbps per pin (also lower power).

If anything GDDR6 is a larger improvement in raw bandwidth from GDDR5X than GDDR5X was from GDDR5. The perf/watt must also be considered, less power going to memory means more power for the GPU to use when maintaining the same TDP.

Memory bandwidth is a strange thing as you either have enough of it or you don't, GPUs don't necessarily need insane amounts of memory bandwidth, especially GPUs that are intended for 1080p or even 1440p gaming. IE, there is a reason why the GTX 1070 doesn't need GDDR5X.

The move to GDDR6 will effectively allow lower end GPU to use smaller memory bus sized, decreasing chip complexity. So new GPUs could use a 128-bit bus instead of a 256-bit bus for the same performance while also lowering power consumption and chip complexity.

In theory, a refreshed version of the PS4 Pro or Project Scorpio could, in theory, use GDDR6 and a lower bus size to get the same memory bandwidth and potentially reduce costs. The gains by GDDR6 are not just about improving the max performance potential of future hardware, but also work to make the levels of performance available today more achievable for lower-cost systems.

While I will agree that the move from GDDR5X to GDDR6 is not as high as what some users want, the simple fact of the matter is that this kind of jump in less than two years is huge. The first GDDR5X GPU with 10Gbps memory is barely a year old and they are now saying that we will have GDDR6 with a 60% performance increase in early 2018! That's huge!

Even considering the Titan Xp with 11.4Gbps memory and GDDR6 will offer just over 40% improvement, which again is huge for just a year.
Old 23-04-17, 10:01 PM
AMD Enthusiast

5x is capable of 12Gbps with 12-16Gbps being targeted for 2018. They are targeting the same speeds at around the same release time. So in reality, it's a minor improvement.

Outside of that, do not expect this in lower end GPUs to use it. It will still be expensive and be reserved for high end GPUs from Nvidia, and AMD will probably stick with HBM2.

I am not saying it's not impressive, but it is not as impressive as it seems. GDDR5 first came around in 2007, but did not get to GPUs till 2008 with the HD4870 from AMD. It has been 9 years for it to come around. So no I don't think it is as impressive as you think, as it's about time and not that great of an improvement over 5X in the grand scheme of things
Old 23-04-17, 10:11 PM
OC3D Elite

To be honest, I thought that that memory standard creator company (I forgot its name; I've had alcohol) didn't give anything over 5X any merit and thus favoured HBM2 more, leaning more towards NBD his arguments.
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 | Intel i5-6600K 4.6GHz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3GHz CL15 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix A8G | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p
Old 23-04-17, 10:14 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F34R Channel View Post
To be honest, I thought that that memory standard creator company (I forgot its name; I've had alcohol) didn't give anything over 5X any merit and thus favoured HBM2 more, leaning more towards NBD his arguments.
JEDEC is the one you are thinking of. And I am also sure what you say is true, that they favor HBM over GDDDR standards. Since many many companies put effort into developing this new innovative global standard to replace the aging GDDR standards.