Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 04-04-17, 04:25 PM
News Guru

The Xbox Scorpio will be announced this Thursday at 2pm UK

The Xbox Scorpio will be announced this Thursday at 2pm UK time and a 6am Pacific time.

Read more on Microsoft's Xbox Project Scorpio console.

Old 04-04-17, 04:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

It's probably using a rx480. But I'd really hope they beefed up the CPU a lot more than what the PS4 pro did, it's still a limiting factor in performance.
Old 04-04-17, 04:59 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
It's probably using a rx480. But I'd really hope they beefed up the CPU a lot more than what the PS4 pro did, it's still a limiting factor in performance.
It is a lot more complex that just adding Polaris to an APU. The PS4 Pro uses features graphics IP that is beyond Polaris, it is fair to expect that the Scorpio will do the same. Have a pseudo-Vega GPU in their APU.

CPU wise it is hard to know what MS did with the Scorpio, are they still using Jaguar cores at higher clocks, move to improved Bobcat cores or dare I say it Zen? It would be interesting to see if a Ryzen 4c/8t CPU could emulate a Jaguar 8-core to play XB1 games.

We should hear more on Thursday,
Old 04-04-17, 06:16 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I know it's more complex, I should have said it's probably using a version of Polaris 10. I do doubt Vega though. It's either one or the other and probably can't be a mix, based on complety different core architectures and all.

But since it needs backwards compatibility, Its hard to say if Zen could be emulated for Jaguar, if it did, it would significantly reduce the time it takes for games to come out or if old games even got a patch update. I would suspect bobcat is the most likely culprit but significantly clocked higher, I would hope no less than 3ghz, and hopefully very very high clocked memory.
Old 04-04-17, 07:47 PM
News Guru

Quote:
I know it's more complex, I should have said it's probably using a version of Polaris 10. I do doubt Vega though. It's either one or the other and probably can't be a mix, based on complety different core architectures and all.

But since it needs backwards compatibility, Its hard to say if Zen could be emulated for Jaguar, if it did, it would significantly reduce the time it takes for games to come out or if old games even got a patch update. I would suspect bobcat is the most likely culprit but significantly clocked higher, I would hope no less than 3ghz, and hopefully very very high clocked memory.
The CPU on the Xbox One is clocked at 1.75GHz, which leaves plenty of room for improvement with a simple overclock. The Ps4 pro is clocked at 2.3, with the PS4 coming at 1.6GHz.

The Project Scorpio won't be Vega, but if Sony could use features from further down the roadmap than Polaris there is no reason why Project Scorpio can't.

While Vega is a hugely different design from Polaris it isn't a from the ground up redesign like Ryzen. Vega just has huge improvements on many of the architecture's constituent parts. There is no reason why certain aspects of Vega cannot be present in Scorpio.

The PS4 Pro already uses "rapid packed math" to allow two 16-bit operations to be used instead of a single 32-bit operation. Some other parts that are linked to the work distributor/scheduler are also present in the PS4 Pro, though Sony and AMD have been light on the details.

I hope that MS will share a lot of new info on Friday, as I am very interested in seeing what they are bringing to the table.
Old 04-04-17, 09:05 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Well anything is possible. Especially since they are taking much longer than Sony did to build this system. Hopefully good things will come.
I'd also be super excited for a trade in program, turn in your old Xbox or Xbox S, get cash and put it towards the Scorpio
Old 05-04-17, 08:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Well anything is possible. Especially since they are taking much longer than Sony did to build this system. Hopefully good things will come.
I'd also be super excited for a trade in program, turn in your old Xbox or Xbox S, get cash and put it towards the Scorpio
TBH I think they may have held it back for a while. The PS4 whooped the Xbone, and if they'd released this at the same time as PS4pro it's highly likely the same would have happened. If you give it long enough for people to save a bit they usually end up buying both (well, the Americans do lol).

I'm not surprised it's more powerful than the PS4. I think that was their biggest mistake with the Xbone.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 05-04-17, 05:48 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
TBH I think they may have held it back for a while. The PS4 whooped the Xbone, and if they'd released this at the same time as PS4pro it's highly likely the same would have happened. If you give it long enough for people to save a bit they usually end up buying both (well, the Americans do lol).

I'm not surprised it's more powerful than the PS4. I think that was their biggest mistake with the Xbone.
This is true, most people buy both. But since the PS4 was so far away ahead in terms of sales, most people ended up buying another PS4 lol
Xbone had pretty limited specs, even at release time. PS4 was average and something I expected, but they both came at awkward times. After they released, AMD and Nvidia gained way more power and efficiency out of there chips.And we leapfrogged consoles more than we did in the past.
PS4 pro imo was rushed to quickly. If they waited another year or even after this new Xbox. It would have been killer.
Old 05-04-17, 07:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah totally I think ms seriously underestimated their clientele with the Xbone. Corner cutting turds

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy