Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 01-04-17, 07:13 PM
News Guru

ASUS announce their ROG GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon

ASUS have announced their new ROG GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon, offering a hybrid air/water cooler with next generation DirectCU H20 cooling.

Read more on ASUS' GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon.

Old 01-04-17, 07:22 PM
Resident Newb

I like that little illuminated plexi block on the right side of the card, Very snazzy.

Old 01-04-17, 08:14 PM
Compo Whore

1st of april joke right?
Old 02-04-17, 01:26 AM
OC3D Crew

I often wonder who buys these cards with the water/air mix. You'd need a custom loop to utilise its full potential and at that point a proper waterblock would outperform this so I just don't quite get who it's for.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 02-04-17, 10:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicey View Post
I often wonder who buys these cards with the water/air mix. You'd need a custom loop to utilise its full potential and at that point a proper waterblock would outperform this so I just don't quite get who it's for.
Oh I don't know about the custom water block part man. The 780 Poseidon was fantastic on both air and water.

Old 02-04-17, 04:33 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Oh I don't know about the custom water block part man. The 780 Poseidon was fantastic on both air and water.
Trust me a custom water block will be cooler as they have a proper jet plate. The inside of these poseidons are very basic because they need the transfer of heat to the heatpipes for the air portion to work well enough that the card doesn't overheat and that really restricts what they can do with the channels for water flow. If you look at the design the water just flows around the block with no resistance in a U shape. The water doesn't get disturbed, almost no restriction.

With a proper waterblock you'll have a jetplate that funnels the water into a large surface area directly on the die to remove the most heat it can from the GPU surface, this Asus dual cooling setup is relying much more on ambient heat transfer than directional flow.

A proper waterblock from EK will be at-least 10c lower than this thing on water.

EDIT:// this post did say 20c lower, I have amended it to be more in tune with reality at 10c.
Intel Core i9 7900X @ 4.7GHz [Delidded & Lapped] @ 1.23v Asus Rampage VI Extreme G.Skill Trident RGB 32GB 3600MHz CL17 Samsung 1TB 970 Pro NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti FE @ 2GHz Asus Swift PG279Q Custom Water Loop
Old 02-04-17, 04:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicey View Post
Trust me a custom water block will be cooler as they have a proper jet plate. The inside of these poseidons are very basic because they need the transfer of heat to the heatpipes for the air portion to work well enough that the card doesn't overheat and that really restricts what they can do with the channels for water flow. If you look at the design the water just flows around the block with no resistance in a U shape. The water doesn't get disturbed, almost no restriction.

With a proper waterblock you'll have a jetplate that funnels the water into a large surface area directly on the die to remove the most heat it can from the GPU surface, this Asus dual cooling setup is relying much more on ambient heat transfer than directional flow.

A proper waterblock from EK will be at-least 20c lower than this thing on water.
Look at some reviews of the other poseidons before, and they did not have that bad temps. No way near 20c less than a ek block.
Old 02-04-17, 04:52 PM
OC3D Crew

According to Guru 3D their GTX 980 Ti Poseidon (250 Watt TDP) was 48-50c under load. I get 38c under load @ stock. With my GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz with an EK block. 10-12c difference.

Quote:
The card's temperature under heavy game stress stabilized at roughly 48~50 degrees C. We note down the hottest GPU reading, not the average.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,8.html

I also used to get around 39-40c load with my GTX 780's in SLI with EK Blocks. These are also 250 Watt TDP cards.
Old 03-04-17, 06:50 AM
OC3D Crew

I used to have a 980 Ti Poseidon and I wasn't very impressed with it. The fans wouldn't shut off when the card was idling, and they weren't exactly silent. I was getting between 55-60C maxed out on water with the card, not exactly fantastic compared to an EK block. But then again there are so many factors to consider when water cooling.

I for one have never been able to archive that magic 40C degree load temps on my high end graphics cards, as some claim they have. But then again whenever I report temps I have always stressed my system for more then 30 mins usually.

So if I were to state a point about this I guess it would be: If you already have your PC water cooled, why the heck would you waste money on such an expensive card anyway, instead of using a full cover waterblock? That's what I asked myself after I bought mine back then, it was a terrible choice of graphics card.
Old 03-04-17, 06:55 AM
OC3D Crew

Everything you say is very true tolagarf. In my case I'm using two 480mm long radiators, each 40mm thick. Then I have eight of the Corsair SP120's with the voltage reducers so they spin slower.

According to Asus this new GTX 1080 Ti Poseidon will run at 50c on water with a 360mm radiator. This is from a tech reviewer who was at the announcement in Germany and asked one of their representatives on camera.

I don't know how that would compare with my setup, 360mm vs 960mm of rad space after-all.

I always give my temp readings after two hours of 99-100% GPU usage in real games like my temp I gave above was after two hours playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands which kept the GPU pegged at 99% in game only dipping to 40% usage briefly when looking at the in-game map.