Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 08-03-17, 09:38 AM
News Guru

Pioneer launches their BDR-211UBK Blu-Ray XL writer

Pioneer launches their BDR-211UBK Blu-Ray XL writer, which supports writing to Ultra HD Blu-ray disks with capacities of up to 128GB.

Read more on Pioneer's new BDR-211UBK Blu-ray XL Player.

Old 08-03-17, 09:49 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Rather stream the content than pay that much for an old platform
Old 08-03-17, 10:29 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Rather stream the content than pay that much for an old platform
Yup, pretty much. I just use an old crappy dvd one when installing/reinstalling Windows of the disc. Nothing more, don't even have one nor even a 5.25" bay in my case lol.

They're inventing in an old and pretty much dead technology department by now.
Old 08-03-17, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
They're inventing in an old and pretty much dead technology department by now.
While that's true, I can see it finding a niche with people who would use the high capacity discs for archiving data. I know some people who still backup data to DVDs because they are worried about external HDDs packing up, silly in my opinion but I can kinda see their point, until the drive packs up

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C - Soon to be Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Side Rig (Will be complete.. Sometime)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB
SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC |
Soon to be Corsair Carbide 400C
Old 08-03-17, 10:58 AM

I can see it being useful for people who don't have fast internet. Although being able to write onto a blu-ray isn't needed for most people, being able to read 4k blu-rays? Yeah I'm interested. Would be hard pressed to find a 4k blu-ray player for a similar price.
Old 08-03-17, 12:15 PM

Remember you only get to watch a HD Blu Ray if you also have Kaby Lake. Only its 5% performance boost over last gen makes it capable of such a miracle...
Old 08-03-17, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochin1 View Post
Would be hard pressed to find a 4k blu-ray player for a similar price.
I think the cheapest UHD Blu-ray player today is the revised XBONE.

I've got a 70/20 fttc connection and none of the streaming services I've tried have had as good an image quality as 1080p Blu-ray (though much more convenient). This would probably be a good product if it weren't for the fact that the DRM will probably make it worth paying twice as much for a stand-alone player.
Old 08-03-17, 02:48 PM

I cant really say much to blue ray, never bought into it as there is no way in hell im redoing my collection of films on dvd. But just something i notice as a trend is the fact whilst alot of us dont even put optics in our cases anymore. its that gaming skewed cases dont even have optic ports in them anymore.

Look at stuff like the corsair glass thing, that has no optic bays, alot of the others dont either. And its simply because disc media isnt really part of gaming anymore. Its all steam, origin or uplay. I can even go into my local game store, as in game the company and the pc section is empty display cases and you buy a peice of paper with a code on to download the game.
Old 08-03-17, 03:07 PM
OC3D Elite

What are these "disks" you speak of?

Old 08-03-17, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Wow. Must be nice to be able to stream 4K content on a whim. I wouldn't know as I've yet find a decent source that has my whole collection.

For anyone who actually cares about what they watch and the quality that they watch/hear that content physical media is not dead. I may be strange in that my PC is my Blu-ray player but pretty much everyone I know has some kind of physical media collection they make regular use of.

The problem with 4K content on PC is the hardware DRM. No one is going to want to jump through these hoops. Looks like the days of PCs being the ultimate jack of all trades are done, but my Blu-ray drive isn't going anywhere any time soon. Too many films to watch and CDs to rip.