Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-03-17, 09:36 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Posts: 8,972
Windows 10 has lost market share for the second month running

Windows 10 has lost market share for the second month running in Steam's Hardware Survey, with AMD continuing to take some GPU market share from Nvidia.



Read more on Windows 10's loss of OS market share on Steam.

__________________
I'm not saying that 1984 is a bad book, but the dystopia we are currently living in has much better worldbuilding.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-17, 12:24 PM
Legacy-ZA's Avatar
Legacy-ZA Legacy-ZA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South-Africa
Posts: 176
Suffice to say; If I don't see some tangible increases in DX12 performance soon, I am going back to Windows 7 myself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-17, 12:30 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 10,862
Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy-ZA View Post
Suffice to say; If I don't see some tangible increases in DX12 performance soon, I am going back to Windows 7 myself.
The only game I've seen a really decent perf boost in is The Division, DX12 boosted the average FPS from 61 to 79, All maxed out settings at 1440P with a single 1080, Quite impressive IMO.
__________________
=Steam - Dicehunter = Origin - Dicehunter=
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-17, 12:31 PM
Elooder Elooder is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 14
I just went back to Win 7 two days ago (from Windows 10) and can't believe how much more responsive it is. All my graphics programs work faster and even games seem to have higher framerates (on a GTX 1080 to boot).
There's something actually seriously wrong with Windows 10 (other than all the spying) that is not really noticeable until you go back. Then again, it could be the nVidia drivers sucking...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-17, 01:52 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 10,862
Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elooder View Post
I just went back to Win 7 two days ago (from Windows 10) and can't believe how much more responsive it is. All my graphics programs work faster and even games seem to have higher framerates (on a GTX 1080 to boot).
There's something actually seriously wrong with Windows 10 (other than all the spying) that is not really noticeable until you go back. Then again, it could be the nVidia drivers sucking...
Would have been cool if you could have done some benchmarks on Windows 10 and then again on Windows 7
__________________
=Steam - Dicehunter = Origin - Dicehunter=
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-17, 02:11 PM
Elooder Elooder is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Would have been cool if you could have done some benchmarks on Windows 10 and then again on Windows 7
I actually did and still can as they're on separate SSDs. For now let me just say that my Cinebench 15 score on my 20-thread Xeon was 970 with fluctuations mostly below that, in Windows 10, and is now 1279 on Windows 7 (it's an old-ish E5-2660 V2 overclocked to 2.9 Ghz).

The most noticeable difference is the snappiness of the overall interface and the screen refresh on the desktop. Oh, and 3ds max loads noticeably faster in win 7 and is also snappier interface-wise.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-17, 02:26 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 10,862
Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elooder View Post
I actually did and still can as they're on separate SSDs. For now let me just say that my Cinebench 15 score on my 20-thread Xeon was 970 with fluctuations mostly below that, in Windows 10, and is now 1279 on Windows 7 (it's an old-ish E5-2660 V2 overclocked to 2.9 Ghz).

The most noticeable difference is the snappiness of the overall interface and the screen refresh on the desktop. Oh, and 3ds max loads noticeably faster in win 7 and is also snappier interface-wise.
Very nice, Although as I play The Division a lot, DX12 gave nearly a 20FPS boost over DX11, I may experiment though
__________________
=Steam - Dicehunter = Origin - Dicehunter=
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-17, 02:36 PM
Elooder Elooder is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Very nice, Although as I play The Division a lot, DX12 gave nearly a 20FPS boost over DX11, I may experiment though
I practically don't play any games and couldn't care less for DirectX 12 (especially considering it's geared mostly towards increasing performance on lower-end systems with potentially underutilized cores/threads instead of focusing on graphic eye candy).

To me, it's certainly not worth it enough to sacrifice productivity and Win 7 has a subset of DirectX 11 features (which I also don't care too much about as I don't play games) which seem to be sufficient for my needs

DirectX 12 is still young anyway. Given time, it will probably be faster than 11 on anything, at least as long as Windows 10 doesn't stay the laggy POS it currently is. I'll check it out again after the next update. Hope it gets better because I like having the newest stuff
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-17, 02:58 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
The only game I've seen a really decent perf boost in is The Division, DX12 boosted the average FPS from 61 to 79, All maxed out settings at 1440P with a single 1080, Quite impressive IMO.
And even then you are one of the few as the majority of us too an fps hit on that title. Myself included.

Maybe its more optimised for 10xx series.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-17, 03:11 PM
Dicehunter's Avatar
Dicehunter Dicehunter is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ye Olde England
Posts: 10,862
Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
And even then you are one of the few as the majority of us too an fps hit on that title. Myself included.

Maybe its more optimised for 10xx series.
AFAIK it is only 10 series owners who got a perf boost as everyone I know who's on a 1080 has seen a perf boost going to DX12 in TD.

I did 3 runs of each API and picked the average.



__________________
=Steam - Dicehunter = Origin - Dicehunter=
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump








All times are GMT. The time now is 06:26 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.