Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-03-17, 09:36 AM
News Guru

Windows 10 has lost market share for the second month running

Windows 10 has lost market share for the second month running in Steam's Hardware Survey, with AMD continuing to take some GPU market share from Nvidia.

Read more on Windows 10's loss of OS market share on Steam.

Old 06-03-17, 12:24 PM

Suffice to say; If I don't see some tangible increases in DX12 performance soon, I am going back to Windows 7 myself.
Old 06-03-17, 12:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy-ZA View Post
Suffice to say; If I don't see some tangible increases in DX12 performance soon, I am going back to Windows 7 myself.
The only game I've seen a really decent perf boost in is The Division, DX12 boosted the average FPS from 61 to 79, All maxed out settings at 1440P with a single 1080, Quite impressive IMO.
Old 06-03-17, 12:31 PM

I just went back to Win 7 two days ago (from Windows 10) and can't believe how much more responsive it is. All my graphics programs work faster and even games seem to have higher framerates (on a GTX 1080 to boot).
There's something actually seriously wrong with Windows 10 (other than all the spying) that is not really noticeable until you go back. Then again, it could be the nVidia drivers sucking...
Old 06-03-17, 01:52 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elooder View Post
I just went back to Win 7 two days ago (from Windows 10) and can't believe how much more responsive it is. All my graphics programs work faster and even games seem to have higher framerates (on a GTX 1080 to boot).
There's something actually seriously wrong with Windows 10 (other than all the spying) that is not really noticeable until you go back. Then again, it could be the nVidia drivers sucking...
Would have been cool if you could have done some benchmarks on Windows 10 and then again on Windows 7
Old 06-03-17, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Would have been cool if you could have done some benchmarks on Windows 10 and then again on Windows 7
I actually did and still can as they're on separate SSDs. For now let me just say that my Cinebench 15 score on my 20-thread Xeon was 970 with fluctuations mostly below that, in Windows 10, and is now 1279 on Windows 7 (it's an old-ish E5-2660 V2 overclocked to 2.9 Ghz).

The most noticeable difference is the snappiness of the overall interface and the screen refresh on the desktop. Oh, and 3ds max loads noticeably faster in win 7 and is also snappier interface-wise.
Old 06-03-17, 02:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elooder View Post
I actually did and still can as they're on separate SSDs. For now let me just say that my Cinebench 15 score on my 20-thread Xeon was 970 with fluctuations mostly below that, in Windows 10, and is now 1279 on Windows 7 (it's an old-ish E5-2660 V2 overclocked to 2.9 Ghz).

The most noticeable difference is the snappiness of the overall interface and the screen refresh on the desktop. Oh, and 3ds max loads noticeably faster in win 7 and is also snappier interface-wise.
Very nice, Although as I play The Division a lot, DX12 gave nearly a 20FPS boost over DX11, I may experiment though
Old 06-03-17, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Very nice, Although as I play The Division a lot, DX12 gave nearly a 20FPS boost over DX11, I may experiment though
I practically don't play any games and couldn't care less for DirectX 12 (especially considering it's geared mostly towards increasing performance on lower-end systems with potentially underutilized cores/threads instead of focusing on graphic eye candy).

To me, it's certainly not worth it enough to sacrifice productivity and Win 7 has a subset of DirectX 11 features (which I also don't care too much about as I don't play games) which seem to be sufficient for my needs

DirectX 12 is still young anyway. Given time, it will probably be faster than 11 on anything, at least as long as Windows 10 doesn't stay the laggy POS it currently is. I'll check it out again after the next update. Hope it gets better because I like having the newest stuff
Old 06-03-17, 02:58 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The only game I've seen a really decent perf boost in is The Division, DX12 boosted the average FPS from 61 to 79, All maxed out settings at 1440P with a single 1080, Quite impressive IMO.
And even then you are one of the few as the majority of us too an fps hit on that title. Myself included.

Maybe its more optimised for 10xx series.
Old 06-03-17, 03:11 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
And even then you are one of the few as the majority of us too an fps hit on that title. Myself included.

Maybe its more optimised for 10xx series.
AFAIK it is only 10 series owners who got a perf boost as everyone I know who's on a 1080 has seen a perf boost going to DX12 in TD.

I did 3 runs of each API and picked the average.