Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-03-17, 08:13 PM
News Guru

De-lidding AMD's Ryzen CPUs provides no meaningful temperature decrease

Der8auer, who has recently de-lidded AMD's latest Ryzen CPUs, has concluded that de-lidding offers no meaningful temperature decreases or overclocking benefits.

Read more on De-lidding AMD's Ryzen CPUs.

Old 05-03-17, 08:15 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I wonder if it is due to the density of the chip itself. I know in many cases the Ryzen uArch is more dense than a Kaby lake so with things being small and packed tightly, it could just be hot literally at the core...
Old 05-03-17, 08:51 PM
OC3D Elite

I guess this is a good news / bad news scenario. The good being delidding isn't a concern for Joe Average, the bad being these chips run HOT, and can't be cooled down. I figured as much as soon as TTL did his first video. If a 240mm AIO with good fans can't cool it, a custom loop won't either, as 240mm of rad space is MORE than enough cooling capacity for a CPU.

Old 05-03-17, 09:12 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I mean it's not that bad. Yeah it runs hot but coming from where they were and all, it's pretty impressive. If running hot and being better than X99 has to happen, I'm all for it. I'm sure overtime as yields get better we will see cooler CPUs
Old 05-03-17, 10:50 PM
OC3D Elite

It's an 8 core 16 thread CPU.

How often does the mainstream actually have the chance to buy one? not very often. We had the 5960x @ £900 or so and it's just become more expensive since.

As thus the general population will have had absolutely no idea how hot they get. Especially at these clocks. Have a look around for Xeons that run at these clock speeds because you won't find many. And when you do they have a massive TDP. My 2680V2 (3.2ghz) is 140w. At 3.2ghz.

So yeah, these sorts of problems are very common on very highly threaded CPUs, it's just only now that people are going to get a chance to experience it I guess is the best way of putting it.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 06-03-17, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

It runs hot, and that is not the problem. It is a beast, and can't be cooled with air coolers when overclocked.

I am genuinely pleased to see that they soldered Ryzen. It really states that AMD has taught this trough properly. You get the best option out of the box. Well, they need to lower their earnings until they jumpstart themselves. Intel can put cheep thermal compound, and still sell their processors hand over fist, because they have earned it, and because they where the only ones selling them.

AMD is shouting serious. No wonder Intel was scared.
Old 06-03-17, 05:29 AM

on the heat i was watching wendell on a youtube show and he was saying that the voltage regulator inside ryzen isnt actually working yet because the software isnt nailed down so its besically on default right now.

once thats sorted i can see the volts coming down, not so much on what you are pushing into it for overclocks but what ryzen actually calls for the specific parts inside of it, could also be whats behind the low overclocks and instability as right now its just throwing volts at everything.

but on the de-lidding, im really impressed with how much attention amd put into it as there is next to no dif delidded. on a side note wendell also revealed that windows basically isnt seeing the l3 cache, so when its jumping work from thread to thread its stalling, once the schedular in windows is coded right for ryzen we should see some really good improvments.
Old 06-03-17, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
It runs hot, and that is not the problem. It is a beast, and can't be cooled with air coolers when overclocked.

I am genuinely pleased to see that they soldered Ryzen. It really states that AMD has taught this trough properly. You get the best option out of the box. Well, they need to lower their earnings until they jumpstart themselves. Intel can put cheep thermal compound, and still sell their processors hand over fist, because they have earned it, and because they where the only ones selling them.

AMD is shouting serious. No wonder Intel was scared.
To my knowledge; AMD soldered all their processors from the get go, so there is no reason to de-lid and re-apply thermal compound on them. Also, keep in mind that this is a 8 core 16 threaded processor, the more cores, the more thermal heat, simple.

Intel stopped soldering their CPU lineup ever since the 3000 series running on the Ivy Bridge architecture. This is why it has become a "thing" because it does make a massive difference to temperatures and most people use Intel processors. (Hopefully, a thing of the past)