Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 01-02-17, 01:30 PM
News Guru

Denuvo responds to Resident Evil 7's ultra fast PC crack

Denuvo has issued an official response to Resident Evil 7's ultra fast PC crack, stating that they only advertise their anti-tamper technology as "hard to crack" and that they are working to improve Denuvo with future updates.

Read more on Denuvo's response to Resident Evil 7's hack.

Old 01-02-17, 01:36 PM
OC3D Elite

on = only I assume?

Old 01-02-17, 02:20 PM
The Webmaster

Sigh...

Just to clarify, Denuvo isn't DRM. It's Anti Tamper, it stops people Tampering with the game files to disable the DRM the developers choose to implement. So removing Denuvo after people break through it will likely change very little (as already proved) in terms of performance. It makes me sad seeing how companies have to pander to this anti-drm crowd. very interesting being on the other side of the fence.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 01-02-17, 03:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Sigh...

Just to clarify, Denuvo isn't DRM. It's Anti Tamper, it stops people Tampering with the game files to disable the DRM the developers choose to implement. So removing Denuvo after people break through it will likely change very little (as already proved) in terms of performance. It makes me sad seeing how companies have to pander to this anti-drm crowd. very interesting being on the other side of the fence.
It worked great, for a while. Quite a few games were unplayable for many months before they were cracked. Battlefield Hardline took about a year

So I can understand why game devs use it. Problem is if it's going to be a ten minute wonder like RE then it's going to be a hard sell (the protection like).

For a while it seemed to take at least a couple of months which would give a company a good chunk of sales but yeah, one day? I would be fuming if I were Capcom.

Old 01-02-17, 03:37 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Sigh...

Yeah, Denuvo has a bad name for no reason. Batman Arkham Knight players accused it off far too many evils and destroyed the reputation of the technology.

The only real reason to remove it is so a game can be added it to GOG, a DRM-Free Storefront.
Old 01-02-17, 04:14 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
For a while it seemed to take at least a couple of months which would give a company a good chunk of sales but yeah, one day? I would be fuming if I were Capcom.
5 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Yeah, Denuvo has a bad name for no reason. Batman Arkham Knight players accused it off far too many evils and destroyed the reputation of the technology.

The only real reason to remove it is so a game can be added it to GOG, a DRM-Free Storefront.
Except, again, it's not DRM. You'd have to remove it, AND the DRM the company used for it to live on something like GOG.

Has Planet Coaster been cracked yet?
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Old 01-02-17, 04:36 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Except, again, it's not DRM. You'd have to remove it, AND the DRM the company used for it to live on something like GOG.

Apologies, it can be hard to differentiate the two at times when you rarely see one without the other.

Perhaps this is something that I should research more. Perhaps an article is needed to help show what Denuvo is and isn't.

I'm not sure if planet Coaster is cracked, but TBH it is pointless to run a cracked version of that game. With the Steam workshop integration etc, pirates would be losing out on a lot of the best aspects of the game.
Old 01-02-17, 05:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

There is a cracked version about not sure if it's an up to date version with out downloading and I don't need to do that
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 01-02-17, 06:44 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Don't think it's reputation really hurts It. To the people making games with degrees in Comp Sci, they know what it is. They know it is not DRM. You can blame the PR people for making the relationship between DRM and Denuvo.
Old 02-02-17, 01:03 PM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Perhaps this is something that I should research more. Perhaps an article is needed to help show what Denuvo is and isn't.
Not really, their website states it out pretty plain and clear. I don't think you need much research beyond reading that to know what it is. Unfortunately people just see everyone calling it DRM and think it's DRM. You can't educate the masses if they aren't willing to read.

Quote:
What is the Denuvo Anti-Tamper solution?
Denuvo Anti-Tamper technology prevents the debugging, reverse engineering and changing of executable files to strengthen the security of games. It is not a DRM solution, but rather, Denuvo Anti-tamper protects DRM solutions, such as Origin Online Access or the Steam license management system, from being circumvented.

How does it work?
The license management from Steam or Origin grants legitimate consumers access to the game and our Anti-Tamper solution ensures that these DRM systems are not bypassed.

Do you have any negative impact on the game or customer experience?
No, since only performance non-critical game functions are used in the Anti-Tamper process, Anti-Tamper has no perceptible effect on game performance nor is Anti-Tamper to blame for any game crashes of genuine executables.

What is the difference between DRM and Anti-Tamper?
A Digital Rights Management (DRM) system binds the game to a legitimate user account and allows the game to be played whenever and wherever the consumer wants to download and execute the game.
Anti-Tamper stops the reverse engineering and debugging of the DRM solution, but has no effect or limitation on the legitimate consumer. Anti-Tamper is completely transparent to legitimate game buyers and does not in any way impose activation limits, install drivers, or require a gamer to be "always on."