Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-01-17, 10:21 AM
News Guru

Pioneer will soon release the first 4K Blu-ray drive for PC

Pioneer will soon release the first 4K Blu-ray drive for PC, though the player comes with a catch, requiring a new Intel Kaby Lake CPU to function.

Read more on Pioneer's 4K Blu-ray drives for PC.

Old 26-01-17, 10:35 AM
OC3D Elite

TBh if I was in the market for a 4k player I'd hook it up to a 4k TV so I could sit n the sofa to watch
RAM: 2x 8GB Mushkin Enhanced BlackLine Frostbyte
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 26-01-17, 10:49 AM
The Webmaster

Lol, selling this when people just aren't using DVD/Bluray drives any more seems.. nonsensical, especially when they'll release at the 500 GBP pricepoint like all new Disc tech does. (I'll happily take that back when prices are available). Add to that the cost of a 7th gen CPU, board, etc..

Just buy a 4k bluray player for less, job done.

New tech is great, but it just seems silly, is there even really a market for this? The spec list is basically because of DRM... as for audio, 7.1 is 7.1 I know there's now Atmos, but the setup costs for that alone are bonkers, and people won't be plugging any of that into a PC, it'l be done via a proper player + receiver...

Just seems.. like a non thing to me?

When was the last time you actually wanted to put a disc in your PC?

With literally *everything* moving to software as a service these days, including even Windows, there's just no place for these is there?
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 26-01-17, 11:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Lol, selling this when people just aren't using DVD/Bluray drives any more seems.. nonsensical, especially when they'll release at the 500 GBP pricepoint like all new Disc tech does. (I'll happily take that back when prices are available). Add to that the cost of a 7th gen CPU, board, etc..

New tech is great, but it just seems silly, is there even really a market for this? The spec list is basically because of DRM... as for audio, 7.1 is 7.1 I know there's now Atmos, but the setup costs for that alone are bonkers, and people won't be plugging any of that into a PC, it'l be done via a proper player + receiver...

With literally *everything* moving to software as a service these days, including even Windows, there's just no place for these is there?
Well some people like to legitimately back up their own media so that would be a reason. Also some people live in countries with poor internet speeds so it's not viable to download that much. I get about 2MB/s download (25Mb plan as i'm cheap) so it takes hours or even overnight to download a new game.

I'll be buying an XBone as my 4K player when I update my 10 year old Plasma to a 4k panel as they're just super cheap right now. I have a bluray writer in a box in case I need to use it or I have accessed my laptop over the network to use its optical drive for my PC.

Old 26-01-17, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I still use physical media on a daily basis. All of my favourite music, films & TV shows are on CD/DVD/BD on my shelf ready to be watched/listened to whenever I want. No worries about if my NAS breaks. No worries about if Netflix/Amazon/etc is still hosting it. And no worries about the quality either. It also means guaranteed subtitles for my wife.

Simply put I really don't understand this "streaming has replaced physical media" mentality these days. Streaming just doesn't cut it for me for everything; why watch/listen to a questionable quality version of something I love that soaks up bandwidth when I can have it in top quality with no worries?

The beauty of a HTPC is it'll do anything; it's my stereo, DVD player, BD player, streaming service provider (for the stuff that we want to watch but don't love enough to worry about quality) and even provides gaming.

I'd absolutely love to move to UHD Blu-ray at some point apart from the ridiculous DRM requirements and I have no reason to replace my TV for a UHD one until it breaks. It's a shame that it'll be cheaper and easier to buy a separate UHD Blu-player at that point than to integrate UHD into my HTPC.
Old 26-01-17, 11:27 AM
OC3D Elite

I bought a BR drive way back when. Pretty sure it was a Sony. Then I realised I had to use some pony software and never did bother using it.

The only optical drives I have now are the slim slot load in my Triad rig and an external for everything else. I do still rip CDs though so would need at least one.

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 26-01-17, 11:51 AM
The Webmaster

The 'included software' for these is often not the full versions either, when I last bought a drive that included powerDVD it didn't include surround sound decoding and a bunch of other stuff, which you had to pay quite a bit extra to get.
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 26-01-17, 12:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The 'included software' for these is often not the full versions either, when I last bought a drive that included powerDVD it didn't include surround sound decoding and a bunch of other stuff, which you had to pay quite a bit extra to get.
That was it ! PowerDVD trial. And there was no way to hack it because it did all sorts of nasty crap to your registry. I didn't bother in the end.

Thankfully I only paid like £45 for the drive so I just sold it on.

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 26-01-17, 12:18 PM
OC3D Crew

I have a few BluRay players connected to my TVs.
And I have three BluRay drives in my PCs.

Even though my internet is pretty quick, I don't download much 4K content.
I do have a lot of BluRay disks of the movies I really like.

Old 26-01-17, 12:22 PM
OC3D Crew

kind limiting sales in an already shrinking market by tying it to kabylake lol
Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H | A10-6800k mild oc | Antec H1200 | Hyperx 1866 2 x 8gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 140gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro