Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-01-17, 04:45 PM
News Guru

New Xbox One Project Scorpio specs have been leaked

New Xbox One Project Scorpio specs have been leaked, confirming that the new console will have no ESRAM, 4x the L2 cache and a GPU that is more advanced than AMD's current Polaris offerings.

Read more on Project Scorpio's specifications.

Old 24-01-17, 05:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Interesting stuff. And a good read, even with the usual repetitions. :P

12GB of VRAM is a lot to tap into. I wonder whether they will go this route or 8GB of GDDR5X. I skipped the Xbox One and PS4. It offered very little reason to upgrade over the PS3, despite some excellent games. This new Scorpio project looks great, though. I'd rather play Uncharted 4 and the ilk on that (PS4 Pro, obviously, for Uncharted).
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 24-01-17, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I skipped the Xbox One and PS4. It offered very little reason to upgrade over the PS3
That's exactly what I thought when the consoles got unveiled, this Project Scorpio and PS4 Pro are what the original Xbox One and PS4 should have been the whole time.

Main Rig
Ryzen 1700X @ 3.8GHz | MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | Corsair H100i v2 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED Blue 3200 MHz
XFX RX 480 8GB | 240GB Corsair Neutron GTX | 2 x 1TB HGST | Corsair RM850 CableMod | Corsair Carbide 400C - Soon to be Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
Side Rig (Will be complete.. Sometime)
Phenom II X4 955 | Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 | Cooler TBC | 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz | XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB
SSD TBC | HDD TBC | PSU TBC |
Soon to be Corsair Carbide 400C
Old 24-01-17, 06:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
That's exactly what I thought when the consoles got unveiled, this Project Scorpio and PS4 Pro are what the original Xbox One and PS4 should have been the whole time.
With the performance of Polaris 10 (or potentially more)? I doubt that would have been possible at the time. The console would have cost £600 or more. Back in 2013 when the consoles were released, we didn't even have the GTX 970 yet and the RX 480 is more powerful than a 970. The problem, I think, was in part due to the huge lifespan of the 360 and PS3.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 24-01-17, 06:50 PM
News Guru

Quote:
12GB of VRAM is a lot to tap into. I wonder whether they will go this route or 8GB of GDDR5X. I skipped the Xbox One and PS4. It offered very little reason to upgrade over the PS3, despite some excellent games. This new Scorpio project looks great, though. I'd rather play Uncharted 4 and the ilk on that (PS4 Pro, obviously, for Uncharted).
To play games at 4K with higher resolution texture more VRAM is needed. Even the PS4 Pro has extra memory, though this comes in the form of DDR3.

On the PS4 Pro a lot of OS stuff is moved to the new DDR3, allowing an extra gigabyte of GDDR5 to be used for games.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft have done, as the PS4 Pro has already been used very well for some games.

That being said I think it is a waste to go 4K crazy, as nobody owns 4K screens right now. That will change in time, though to me it seems like a push too far ATM.
Old 24-01-17, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Are they aiming for 4K/30FPS?

A friend has a good 4K TV and it does look nice. It's definitely the future of sitting room entertainment, but it's not part of my personal agenda.
Old 24-01-17, 07:52 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Are they aiming for 4K/30FPS?

A friend has a good 4K TV and it does look nice. It's definitely the future of sitting room entertainment, but it's not part of my personal agenda.
Seems to me like they want developers to make games for XB1 at 900p/1080p and aim for 4K or 1800p on Project Scorpio.

It seems that developers have freedom to do what they like with the hardware, even saying that devs can keep physics at 30FPS and run graphics at 60FPS. Not exactly a proper 60FPS, but a decent idea.

It will be interesting to see what developers can do with the new hardware.
Old 24-01-17, 09:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Interesting stuff. And a good read, even with the usual repetitions. :P

I'm considering getting an XBONE solely as it's the cheapest way to get a UHD bluray player into my lounge room. That's where the PS4 Pro let us down. Aside from that - absolutely agree there's been no compelling reason to upgrade from a PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
To play games at 4K with higher resolution texture more VRAM is needed. Even the PS4 Pro has extra memory, though this comes in the form of DDR3.

On the PS4 Pro a lot of OS stuff is moved to the new DDR3, allowing an extra gigabyte of GDDR5 to be used for games.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft have done, as the PS4 Pro has already been used very well for some games.

That being said I think it is a waste to go 4K crazy, as nobody owns 4K screens right now. That will change in time, though to me it seems like a push too far ATM.
I know heaps of people with 4k Televisions (so we can watch mostly SD broadcasts) Not so much PC monitors.

Old 24-01-17, 09:55 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Could very well be a Vega class GPU in this. Considering it's launch date it would be well within reach. It would obviously be custom but I can see it happening.
I suspect the CPU to be a slightly upgrade, think it was Puma after Jaguar? Could be that with much higher clockspeeds.
Old 24-01-17, 10:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
It's a shame they've stayed with the jaguar CPU though, From all the info I've read any way.

Would have been good to see that get a nice upgrade.