Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 20-01-17, 12:35 PM
News Guru

Nintendo marks the Wii U as end of life

March 3rd marks the end of life of the Wii U, with Nintendo announcing that they will be making no more games for the device.

Read more on the Wii U's end of life.

Old 20-01-17, 12:43 PM
OC3D Elite

If the reasoning is it wasn't as powerful as the ps4 and xbone. isn't the switch going to be in the same boat, unless they get some really good 3rd party exclusives what would be the point
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 20-01-17, 12:50 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
If the reasoning is it wasn't as powerful as the ps4 and xbone. isn't the switch going to be in the same boat, unless they get some really good 3rd party exclusives what would be the point
A lot will depend on how well the console sells. There is also the fact that it is the only new portable console on the market. Yes, Android does compete in a way, but it won't get any AAA treatment.

Nintendo should also have a better first party lineup, as the Switch will have both the mobile and console guys behind it, bringing Pokemon and other (pretty much) mobile-only series' into the mix.

If it can sell well 3rd parties will support it and make games run on it as a minimum, with the Wii U it was not worthwhile to develop a lesser game for just 13 million sold consoles. (Right now the PS4 has sold over 50 million units).

Nintendo can sell handhelds, with the GBA selling 82 million units, the DS selling 154 million units and the 3DS selling 62 million units. If the Switch can get anywhere near these sales a lot of devs will work to support it.

This is the closest a handheld has ever been to a console, so Nintendo does have a huge opportinuty here.
Old 20-01-17, 03:03 PM

But the games will live on with the Cemu emulator which has just had a big release with transferable shader caches and 1080p & 4K rendering support.

I've just been playing Super Mario World 3D & Mario Kart 8 @ 1080p 60fps on my rig and they looked, sounded and played gloriously.