Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-01-17, 06:03 PM
News Guru

AMD Vega GPU architectural analysis

AMD has revealed their Vega GPU architecture, but what does AMD's design changes mean for GPU performance and their hardware moving forward?

Read more on AMD's Vega GPU architecture.

Old 06-01-17, 08:46 PM
OC3D Crew

Interesting how AMD is is pitting this against Volta, and trying to leapfrog generations.
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Old 06-01-17, 09:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong View Post
Interesting how AMD is is pitting this against Volta, and trying to leapfrog generations.
The thing I cannot wrap my head around is how they can pit it against Volta, of which next to nothing is known (unless we're talking corporate espionage lol)??
Old 06-01-17, 09:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F34R Channel View Post
The thing I cannot wrap my head around is how they can pit it against Volta, of which next to nothing is known (unless we're talking corporate espionage lol)??
A part of me thinks AMD has lost it and is desperately cloying at the walls to climb out of the economic pit they're in, breaking their fingers in the process. But another part of me giggles with excitement at the thought of Vega not only competing and beating Pascal but competing with Volta. I find that very hard to believe, but still. It was initially rumoured that Vega 20 would be Vega 10 shrunk down using the 7nm process with 16GB of HBM2 running at 1TB/s and having vastly increased clock speeds and reduced TDP. They could then rebadge 14nm Vega 10 and 11 as midrange GPU's and the Polaris 10 chip as a low-end card. I doubt that, though, as optimising for both 14nm and 7nm in tandem might not be practical.
Old 06-01-17, 09:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
A part of me thinks AMD has lost it and is desperately cloying at the walls to climb out of the economic pit they're in, breaking their fingers in the process. But another part of me giggles with excitement at the thought of Vega not only competing and beating Pascal but competing with Volta. I find that very hard to believe, but still. It was initially rumoured that Vega 20 would be Vega 10 shrunk down using the 7nm process with 16GB of HBM2 running at 1TB/s and having vastly increased clock speeds and reduced TDP. They could then rebadge 14nm Vega 10 and 11 as midrange GPU's and the Polaris 10 chip as a low-end card. I doubt that, though, as optimising for both 14nm and 7nm in tandem might not be practical.
I just don't see it happening, it beating high end Pascal, let alone Volta, given their lengthy track record of big talk and not delivering (I recall the same before Polaris came out etc.). However, I don't know until it's out of course, but I cannot help but be weary and skeptical because of the aforementioned track record and the state the company has been in for many years now. And it is frustrating because I want them to deliver; it's the better outcome for everyone involved.
Old 06-01-17, 10:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The F34R Channel View Post
I just don't see it happening, it beating high end Pascal, let alone Volta, given their lengthy track record of big talk and not delivering (I recall the same before Polaris came out etc.). However, I don't know until it's out of course, but I cannot help but be weary and skeptical because of the aforementioned track record and the state the company has been in for many years now. And it is frustrating because I want them to deliver; it's the better outcome for everyone involved.
I don't know how much the rejig that recently occurred at AMD—the Radeon group being sectioned off and dedicating its resources to GPU's and Raja taking over—will impact things. The Fury line could have been a slight slip up. The 290X suffered from temperatures and power consumption, but it was a stellar GPU other than that. And one of the main reasons why it suffered from a higher TDP than its competitors was because AMD were stuck with 28nm for so long. Nvidia focused on the right thing while AMD focused on the wrong thing. They're correcting that mistake. Polaris was, at first, underperforming, but it is now comparable to Nvidia and in some cases superior. Temperatures are in check, power consumption is in check, pricing is in check, memory configuration is in check, availability is in check (both both AIB partners and AMD directly), drivers are in check, VR and high resolution performance is in check, DX11 and DX12 performance is in check, even overclocking is better with Polaris than Fury. If Polaris is performing so well, and Vega isn't just a beefed up Polaris, why can't AMD pull it off again?
Old 06-01-17, 10:10 PM

AMD has been doing well financially this year so not sure what your talking about there. AMD's marketing has always been a bit strange though, sometimes really aggressive, sometimes coy. So I never take much stock in the marketing material just specs, architecture and performance numbers
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Old 06-01-17, 10:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
AMD has been doing well financially this year so not sure what your talking about there. AMD's marketing has always been a bit strange though, sometimes really aggressive, sometimes coy. So I never take much stock in the marketing material just special, architecture and performance numbers
This year, maybe. But their income has been very low from dedicated GPU's in the last seven years compared to Nvidia. Even when AMD were making superior GPU's back in 2008 and beyond, Nvidia were outselling them and making a crap-ton more money than them.

So I'll rephrase: They may be trying to claw their way out of their 'dedicated GPU crisis'.
Old 06-01-17, 10:13 PM
OC3D Elite

They could do it, for sure. They do hurt from having a smaller and less funded R&D department than Nvidia, it's been really noticeable since they downsized there, unfortunately. Which doesn't mean that they can't deliver a stellar product of course! But it sure has its impact. For me it's just a case of needing to see it before believing it kinda thing.
Asus Maximus VIII Hero Z170 | Intel i5-6600K 4.6GHz | Corsair H105 | Corsair Vengeance LPX 3GHz CL15 16GB | Asus GTX 1080 Strix A8G | EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 | Crucial MX200 500 GB | 760T | Acer XB270HU 1440p
Old 06-01-17, 11:31 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
This year, maybe. But their income has been very low from dedicated GPU's in the last seven years compared to Nvidia. Even when AMD were making superior GPU's back in 2008 and beyond, Nvidia were outselling them and making a crap-ton more money than them.

So I'll rephrase: They may be trying to claw their way out of their 'dedicated GPU crisis'.
You can't compare there GPU finance reports. They both report very differently and they include different things.
Nvidia reports purely there consumer GPU sales. AMD does that and there pro and one other thing(can't remember what it was) and as we know they aren't doing great there. So it brings there report down and look bad because one of there markets can't overcome two other losses.

Nvidia didn't out sell like crazy, it was pretty close. Just Nvidia charged more and got on custom PC websites to basically only advertise Nvidia, so they were able to make more per GPU(as those sites charge more in general)

So I'll rephrase for you. They are competing. Everyone here is way overboard on this whole AMD dieing thing. We don't even have a launch date, just relax. It ain't over yet

As for this information in the article. This is all exactly what it needed and the memory thing is a big step forward for what Navi is going to be. It is going to be a pretty potent GPU. I think a lot of people will be surprised that it'll probably have much better performance per watt over Polaris which is a very good step that AMD needs