Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 05-01-17, 10:09 AM
News Guru

AMD Vega presentation leaks

Slides for AMD's Vega presentation have been leaked online, promising some huge architectural improvements including enhanced clock speeds and more performance per clock than previous GPUs.

Read more on AMD's Vega GPU architecture.

Old 05-01-17, 10:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Improved clock speeds.. Over what? Fury X? that's not hard. I dunno man, too much of it seems to rattle on about HBM2 and I'm still not convinced we need it.

Old 05-01-17, 10:20 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Improved clock speeds.. Over what? Fury X? that's not hard. I dunno man, too much of it seems to rattle on about HBM2 and I'm still not convinced we need it.
Higher clock speeds than Polaris, which itself is significantly higher than the Fury X.
Old 05-01-17, 10:25 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Higher clock speeds than Polaris, which itself is significantly higher than the Fury X.
Hmm we shall see !

Anything less than 1700 is not going to bode well when the 1080 can do over 2ghz on water.

Old 05-01-17, 10:29 AM
OC3D Elite

I'm looking forward to this stream today

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 05-01-17, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Not sure why you ask if we need HBM2 or not??? Surely there is no downside to extra bandwidth?
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Old 05-01-17, 10:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
Not sure why you ask if we need HBM2 or not??? Surely there is no downside to extra bandwidth?
There is at resolutions where you don't need it. See also the Fury X with HBM. At 1080p and 1440p it was rubbish, some 20% slower than the 980ti. HBM did absolutely nothing for it.

The only resolutions you need it for are 4k and beyond. Resolutions which are so demanding that by the time you need the memory bandwidth it's too late. Showing Star Wars at 60 FPS doesn't count. What is going to happen when you load up Deus Ex? or Mafia III?

I just think it's AMD again looking too far into the future for what the market does not need now. See also - 8 core CPUs years ago, HBM but only 4gb etc etc. They constantly seem to keep taking gambles on predicting what the market will want and being wrong.

They need to do what Nvidia did. Stop chucking the kitchen sink at the problem because that is hot and pricey, and worst of all will gain you crap clock speeds. Cut the cores back, clock them to all hell and worry about 4k later.

Ever since Fermi Nvidia have been kicking AMD all over the place. From Kepler on they reduced the crap, upped the clocks and the rest has been history.

Old 05-01-17, 11:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
There is at resolutions where you don't need it. See also the Fury X with HBM. At 1080p and 1440p it was rubbish, some 20% slower than the 980ti. HBM did absolutely nothing for it.

The only resolutions you need it for are 4k and beyond. Resolutions which are so demanding that by the time you need the memory bandwidth it's too late. Showing Star Wars at 60 FPS doesn't count. What is going to happen when you load up Deus Ex? or Mafia III?

I just think it's AMD again looking too far into the future for what the market does not need now. See also - 8 core CPUs years ago, HBM but only 4gb etc etc. They constantly seem to keep taking gambles on predicting what the market will want and being wrong.

They need to do what Nvidia did. Stop chucking the kitchen sink at the problem because that is hot and pricey, and worst of all will gain you crap clock speeds. Cut the cores back, clock them to all hell and worry about 4k later.

Ever since Fermi Nvidia have been kicking AMD all over the place. From Kepler on they reduced the crap, upped the clocks and the rest has been history.
Well just because you don't NEED it, doesn't mean it's nice to have it, if you get it anyway right?
Old 05-01-17, 11:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Well just because you don't NEED it, doesn't mean it's nice to have it, if you get it anyway right?
Oh? so when was the last time you bought a AMD GPU then?

Do you want to buy some snake oil? you don't need it but you'd buy it any way, right?

You're paying for it, dude. And if it's of no importance why would you want to pay for something you are not going to use? and yes, that makes all of the difference. HBM makes GPUs stupidly expensive and the gain has not been worth the price. Fury X launched at £549 the same price as the 980ti and got laughed at at every res except 4k when it managed 30 FPS due to the hobbled core.

Unless this GPU is as fast as the Titan XP in everything then that HBM will go wasted.

Old 05-01-17, 11:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Oh? so when was the last time you bought a AMD GPU then?

Do you want to buy some snake oil? you don't need it but you'd buy it any way, right?

You're paying for it, dude. And if it's of no importance why would you want to pay for something you are not going to use? and yes, that makes all of the difference. HBM makes GPUs stupidly expensive and the gain has not been worth the price. Fury X launched at £549 the same price as the 980ti and got laughed at at every res except 4k when it managed 30 FPS due to the hobbled core.

Unless this GPU is as fast as the Titan XP in everything then that HBM will go wasted.
Not even sure if Chrazey ever has brought one

TBH not even sure if Chrazey knows what an AMD GPU even looks like