Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 14-11-16, 08:12 AM
News Guru

The Nintendo Switch has been priced at a Canadian retailer

The Nintendo Switch has been priced at a Canadian retailer, revealing a price tag that roughly equates to $250 US.

Read more on Nintendo's Switch console.

Old 14-11-16, 09:38 AM

Can't see this being a success. Considering how the Shield has done, and with no new IP's being announced or pushed by Nintendo, it's more of the same; appeal to the existing, yet diminishing, Nintendo player base.

Also if it doesn't upscale to 1080p and sticks to 720p on TV, then it's going to look extremely bad compared to the Xbox One and PS4, and even worse against their improved siblings.
Old 14-11-16, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Nvidia has already shared that gamers are going to be "amazed" by the Nintendo Switch, leaving many to expect that the Nintendo Switch will have a lot more GPU power than some would originally expect.
Yes, because Nvidia are completely neutral when it comes to the Switch..
Old 14-11-16, 01:42 PM

Just give me new Zelda and that new Mario game they showed part of in the trailer.

It looks like they are not going to have a separate mobile device after DS. Not sure how I feel about that.

Old 14-11-16, 01:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazty View Post
Can't see this being a success. Considering how the Shield has done, and with no new IP's being announced or pushed by Nintendo, it's more of the same; appeal to the existing, yet diminishing, Nintendo player base.

Also if it doesn't upscale to 1080p and sticks to 720p on TV, then it's going to look extremely bad compared to the Xbox One and PS4, and even worse against their improved siblings.
There's a huge difference between this and the shield though. Nintendo are a household name. If you asked my aging mother what an Nvidia shield was she would likely look at you blankly. If you asked her the same question "What is a Nintendo?" she would answer.

So that's the first huge difference. I mean yeah, to tech nerds like us we know what it is, to parents buying for kids it's a new Nintendo.

Old 14-11-16, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
There's a huge difference between this and the shield though. Nintendo are a household name. If you asked my aging mother what an Nvidia shield was she would likely look at you blankly. If you asked her the same question "What is a Nintendo?" she would answer.

So that's the first huge difference. I mean yeah, to tech nerds like us we know what it is, to parents buying for kids it's a new Nintendo.
I get your point, but for most people, including gamers, the name "Nintendo" doesn't have the gravity it once had, so people may recognise it, but won't feel that it's a must buy because of it. Considering how poorly the Wii U has done, Nintendo needed to pull out all the stops to show they are still relevant, otherwise kids will just pickup either the slim PS4/Xbone or the PS4 Pro, and I'm not sure the Switch really is enough to convince any kid looking for a console to...switch to Nintendo
Old 14-11-16, 05:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I get your point, but for most people, including gamers, the name "Nintendo" doesn't have the gravity it once had, so people may recognise it, but won't feel that it's a must buy because of it. Considering how poorly the Wii U has done, Nintendo needed to pull out all the stops to show they are still relevant, otherwise kids will just pickup either the slim PS4/Xbone or the PS4 Pro, and I'm not sure the Switch really is enough to convince any kid looking for a console to...switch to Nintendo
Pokemon Mario and Zelda. Nintendo could sell a steaming turd if it had those three games on it.

Old 14-11-16, 05:29 PM
OC3D Elite

$200 would be more appropriate, $250 is nearly xbone/ps4 money.
Old 17-11-16, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Pokemon Mario and Zelda. Nintendo could sell a steaming turd if it had those three games on it.
Not if the Wii U and Gamecube sales are anything to go by. While the games may sell a lot, the console reach is extremely limited with just those games e.g. <15 million customers.
Old 17-11-16, 02:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Not if the Wii U and Gamecube sales are anything to go by. While the games may sell a lot, the console reach is extremely limited with just those games e.g. <15 million customers.
Nintendo don't make much money on consoles. TBH? most of the manus don't. It's the games, and more importantly licensing fees.

Just trust me, any Mario Zelda or Pokemon fan will buy this console. I used to be a Mario addict, but Sunshine was pretty poor if I'm being honest. It really put me off, especially when Mario 64 was so spectacular.

Mario Galaxy? absolutely incredible, really was the perfect apology for Sunshine but I had kinda grown up somewhere in between the two so even when I did buy a Wii I never played the game that much.

Never a Zelda fan either. Would be now, now that I have played a few RPGs but back when I was a kid I just found them boring. Didn't realise you were supposed to follow the story. I did play the one on the Gamecube for a bit and it was amazing but yeah, not really my thing.

Ed. BTW if this thing is 200 sheets or less I will get one. That is about how much money I can slip past my lady per month before she starts asking questions. Hopefully it's a good tablet device also. That would be handy, given my phone is "only" 5.5 inches.