Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-11-16, 10:23 AM
News Guru

Nvidia adds Telemetry to their GPU drivers

Nvidia has added a telemetry component to their GPU drivers, without any explanation on how it is used, leaving privacy conscious gamers concerned.

Read more on Nvidia adding Telemetry to their GPU drivers.

This article was possible thanks to information provided by King of Old School on the OC3D Forums.

Old 07-11-16, 10:56 AM
OC3D Elite

Didn't know about this, hence why I love OC3D's news ... Got a bit wondering why I needed to make an account for Experience? ...
Old 07-11-16, 11:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Well for me Nvidia has borked the GFE version 2 every time i open it, it wants me to upgrade to version 3.

Maybe i need to go back to an older version of the Nvidia drivers.

Here's an update from Gamers Nexus not sure how good they are.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/industry/...nsfer-analysis
Old 07-11-16, 11:46 AM
The Webmaster

Other coverage of this is desperately sensationalised.

GeForce Experience was always leading this way, and it's nothing identifiable, it's just usage and stuff. People want better drivers? Then allow some telemetry, no-one is spying on you they're just trying to get a better look at how things are behaving. Sometimes trusting user reports doesn't work, and you need raw data. That's all this is.

Calm down people!
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 07-11-16, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post

GeForce Experience was always leading this way, and it's nothing identifiable, it's just usage and stuff. People want better drivers? Then allow some telemetry, no-one is spying on you they're just trying to get a better look at how things are behaving. Sometimes trusting user reports doesn't work, and you need raw data. That's all this is.

Calm down people!
"But we want a better experience, can't you do that without gathering any data on how we use your product, maybe try consulting a psychic instead of robbing me of my privacy ?!"
Old 07-11-16, 12:05 PM
News Guru

Quote:

Calm down people!
Indeed, I understand why some people are concerned, but there really isn't anything to worry about here.

It would have been nice if Nvidia had released some more information on this when they implemented it, as this kinda stuff is often over sensationalised by the usual souces.
Old 07-11-16, 02:10 PM

Any privacy concerns could be eased with a simple 'opt-in' or 'opt-out' checkbox while installing the drivers. Prompt the user with a small disclaimer each time the driver is installed/updated and everyone goes home happy.
If we knew it was strictly related to system hardware configuration, performance during gaming along with glitches/crashes and maybe even a 'submit for review' with software crashes, that would go a long way.
Old 07-11-16, 03:09 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Other coverage of this is desperately sensationalized.

Calm down people!
But but SuB ! We need to make drama and stuff !!!!

In all seriousness I don't care as long as it's just usage, Settings used etc...

Old 07-11-16, 03:31 PM

My concern is that NVIDIA are telling two different stories. On their website they clearly state that they do not share user level data with third parties. However in the EULA/TOS for GFE 3, it says they will share user level data, including your name, your email address, in fact ALL data they collect from you, with whomever they please.

Fine, collect crash data, but don't lie about it. Don't tell me you're doing one thing when you are, in fact, doing the exact opposite. There's also the small matter that the outgoing data is encoded, and that NVIDIA do not explicitly ask users for their consent, which under EU law they absolutely have to.

Claiming the whole thing is sensationalist is ignorant, and claiming that anyone with concerns is somehow in the wrong is arrogant and ignorant.
Old 07-11-16, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatterworth View Post
Any privacy concerns could be eased with a simple 'opt-in' or 'opt-out' checkbox while installing the drivers.
This is actually the law in many places in the EU, especially here in Germany. You are not legally allowed to auto-opt people in to things like this.