Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-10-16, 10:03 AM
News Guru

Bethesda changes their review policy

Bethesda has changed their review policy, deciding to only send media "review samples" one day before a game releases.

Read more on Bethesda's new review policy.

What are you opinions on Bethesda's new review policy?

Old 27-10-16, 10:35 AM
OC3D Elite

Another one bites the dust.

Old 27-10-16, 10:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Uhh... Good going Bethesda..

Watercooling - custom
Old 27-10-16, 11:06 AM

Good for them

If you're familiar with Gamergate, you'll understand why - when Dan Golding announced that gamers were dead, a lot of journalists fell in line with this view and attacked their audience (not helped by a certain feminist going after the gaming industry as a whole).

Bethesda have just decided that gaming journalism is dead, and that by not giving pre-release access it'll cost these journalists money because traffic won't go their sites.

Simple solution is, don't pre-order - it didn't hurt sales of Doom.
Old 27-10-16, 11:08 AM
OC3D Elite

IMO it's still not going to hurt sales.
Old 27-10-16, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Python View Post
If you're familiar with Gamergate, you'll understand why - when Dan Golding announced that gamers were dead, a lot of journalists fell in line with this view and attacked their audience (not helped by a certain feminist going after the gaming industry as a whole).

Bethesda have just decided that gaming journalism is dead, and that by not giving pre-release access it'll cost these journalists money because traffic won't go their sites.
Nice mental gymnastics. But this doesn't have a thing to do with Gamergate. If that's what they wanted they would simply not supply review copies to websites that they don't consider worthy. This is simply Bethesda doing something anti-consumer because they know that they can get away with it. They're not the first company to do an anti-consumer thing and they won't be the last. And you're trying to make them look like the good guys doing something ethical. Jesus Christ, you're naive.

This is fine though. I can get away with not buying their games for full price even if they're the most awesome games ever made. Just to make a point. It's not like I don't have other forms of entertainment to keep me occupied in free time.
Old 27-10-16, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
Nice mental gymnastics. But this doesn't have a thing to do with Gamergate. If that's what they wanted they would simply not supply review copies to websites that they don't consider worthy. This is simply Bethesda doing something anti-consumer because they know that they can get away with it. They're not the first company to do an anti-consumer thing and they won't be the last. And you're trying to make them look like the good guys doing something ethical. Jesus Christ, you're naive.

This is fine though. I can get away with not buying their games for full price even if they're the most awesome games ever made. Just to make a point. It's not like I don't have other forms of entertainment to keep me occupied in free time.
How can this be "anti-consumer"? As a consumer your freedom to buy the game hasn't changed, has it?
Old 27-10-16, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Python View Post
How can this be "anti-consumer"? As a consumer your freedom to buy the game hasn't changed, has it?
If you don't understand that then I don't see how I can help you.
Old 27-10-16, 12:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I loved Bethesda back in the ESO and FO3 days. They were yet to be completely consumed by a corporation and their egos. But man, Todd Howard's ego has grown to epic proportions over the past few years. You would need an ego as big as his to actually convince people that Fallout 4 was more than a wet stain on the mattress, an afterthought.

And now no reviews and they're choking modding on the consoles. Congratulations Bethesda (and Zenimax), you've made it ! you are now every bit as despicable as EA and Activision etc

Old 27-10-16, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Gaming journalism has been dead to me for years, it's not like any of those people are any more qualified to review games than the average joe anyways and they certainly don't know what i value in a game. On top of that their opinions weren't trustworthy because they had to make sure to pander to the developers in fear of not receiving any early samples anymore. I don't preorder and i can find more reliable sources to get an idea whether a game is any good or not and with Steam's refunding policy making a bad call once in a while isn't big of a deal either.