Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 10-10-16, 02:29 PM
News Guru

Mafia III PC Performance Review

Mafia III's unlock framerate patch is now live. Let's have a look at the game's performance.

Read more on Mafia III's PC performance.

Old 10-10-16, 06:02 PM

I have an i5-6600k and a GTX 1070 SC, running Mafia III at 1080p with unlimited framerate option and all settings on high my game never drops below 70fps and IMO Mafia is extremely well optimized, I'm quite surprised at your conclusion.
Old 10-10-16, 08:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Of course we cant tell the difference between medium and medium on page 4

Unless of course that was intentional.

Watercooling - custom
Old 10-10-16, 08:55 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Then you're settings aren't correct. Other sites have reported similar results. 1080 is needed for 60fps at 1080p
Old 10-10-16, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUllock View Post
I have an i5-6600k and a GTX 1070 SC, running Mafia III at 1080p with unlimited framerate option and all settings on high my game never drops below 70fps and IMO Mafia is extremely well optimized, I'm quite surprised at your conclusion.
Are you for real? Mafia 3 is very, very poor on PC and no you're not playing at 70 fps on high with a 1070. The 1070 can get just 50 fps. Source: Other benchmarks.
Old 11-10-16, 07:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUllock View Post
Sorry but I find this hard to believe. Mafia III is badly optimised.
Old 11-10-16, 08:46 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Sorry but I find this hard to believe. Mafia III is badly optimised.
I'll admit I only played about ten minutes of it but I never saw lower than 52 FPS on a Titan XM @1414mhz with a 5820k stock. And that was at 1440p. The only thing I lowered was motion blur, which I turned off because it makes me feel ill.

I haven't had the time to play it for longer yet.

Edit. Looking here however suggests that the 1070 has a minimum framerate of 46 FPS, which lends credence to what he has said. At 1440p it had a minimum frame rate of 38, which kind of lends credence to what I am saying.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,6.html

I know GFE is pestering me to install a new driver but I'm not going to bother atm.

However, 46 FPS and 38 FPS as bare minimums are not indicative of bad performance IMO. If anything that just means they remain playable at all times.

I'm sure if you lowered the FSAA to medium then your FPS would shoot up also.. But yeah, I don't think bad performance is anywhere near the worst of this game's crimes. I think that's bugs.

Edit 2, also note from that article -

Also driving in a car eats away deeper in your framerate opposed to walking inside a building. We use a scene where we drive and where the FPS is best described as the worst case scenario. So overall your FPS will likely be a nice notch higher, but you will run into situations where the FPS is as low as we have shown in this article, that is a guarantee.

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 11-10-16, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I'll admit I only played about ten minutes of it but I never saw lower than 52 FPS on a Titan XM @1414mhz with a 5820k stock. And that was at 1440p. The only thing I lowered was motion blur, which I turned off because it makes me feel ill.

I haven't had the time to play it for longer yet.

Edit. Looking here however suggests that the 1070 has a minimum framerate of 46 FPS, which lends credence to what he has said. At 1440p it had a minimum frame rate of 38, which kind of lends credence to what I am saying.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,6.html

I know GFE is pestering me to install a new driver but I'm not going to bother atm.

However, 46 FPS and 38 FPS as bare minimums are not indicative of bad performance IMO. If anything that just means they remain playable at all times.

I'm sure if you lowered the FSAA to medium then your FPS would shoot up also.. But yeah, I don't think bad performance is anywhere near the worst of this game's crimes. I think that's bugs.

Edit 2, also note from that article -

Also driving in a car eats away deeper in your framerate opposed to walking inside a building. We use a scene where we drive and where the FPS is best described as the worst case scenario. So overall your FPS will likely be a nice notch higher, but you will run into situations where the FPS is as low as we have shown in this article, that is a guarantee.
The game doesn't use FSAA. It uses a very weak form of AA, probably FXAA because your performance doesn't move at all if you change the AA option and things get very blurry at high aa.
Old 16-12-16, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Well I bought this a couple of days back and actually played it for more than five minutes. Running on a 2ghz CPU and Fury X but surprisingly smooth tbh. It might be because I now run Freesync on the monitor.

Good game. Stories are a bit long though but the music is fantastic !

Manners cost nothing, but a lack of them will cost you everything.
Old 16-12-16, 12:29 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Well I bought this a couple of days back and actually played it for more than five minutes. Running on a 2ghz CPU and Fury X but surprisingly smooth tbh. It might be because I now run Freesync on the monitor.

Good game. Stories are a bit long though but the music is fantastic !
I have heard that there have been a few performance patches that were released in November, but sadly we moved our game test rig to X99 and cannot compare our results fairly.