Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 28-09-16, 07:08 PM
News Guru

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Review

Forza Horizon 3 has now released on PC through Xbox' Play Anywhere program, but will this console port come with console issues?

Read more on Forza Horizon 3's PC version.

Old 28-09-16, 08:29 PM

To put things simply, we expected a little better from Forza Horizon 3, especially when the game costs £49.99 at launch for the base version.

1- EVERY new game costs that price honestly....so saying that really doesn't work imho.

Also my 4gb760 and i7-4790k I get around 45-50fps on high with a mix of ultra at 1440p....not sure if im doing something magical or not.... just my own testing is all.
Old 28-09-16, 08:33 PM
born in a.....

Excluding the city area I have a relatively steady 60fps running on ultra@ 1440p. I've probably got about 30ish hours in the game already thanks to my preorder.

TBF at the rate they are going, it'll be pretty solid before you know it. Most of the bugs that I could produce pre launch had been patched it seems. I guess going into the game with a low expectation of the port helped me.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 28-09-16, 08:57 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post
To put things simply, we expected a little better from Forza Horizon 3, especially when the game costs £49.99 at launch for the base version.

1- EVERY new game costs that price honestly....so saying that really doesn't work imho.

Also my 4gb760 and i7-4790k I get around 45-50fps on high with a mix of ultra at 1440p....not sure if im doing something magical or not.... just my own testing is all.
You do make a very valid point, most AAA releases cost £40 or more these days on PC, though the non-digital/Xbox version can be purchased for cheaper. This is a clarification that I should have made better in the review.

It is pretty easy to gain extra GPU performance in this game, especially if you disable MSAA. CPU performance is where there can be problems, making it difficult to get a steady 60 in some areas.

I do believe that with some further work to reduce CPU usage that the game would be an almost perfect PC port. Sadly the standard needs to be somewhere and right now the standard most PC gamers set is 60FPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Excluding the city area I have a relatively steady 60fps running on ultra@ 1440p. I've probably got about 30ish hours in the game already thanks to my preorder.

TBF at the rate they are going, it'll be pretty solid before you know it. Most of the bugs that I could produce pre launch had been patched it seems. I guess going into the game with a low expectation of the port helped me.
I hope that we will soon be getting a CPU patch for the game, as that would pretty much fix the only real issue with this game's PC version.

The performance on older hardware can be forgiven somewhat by how easy it is to gain extra GPU performance by turning off MSAA, though it is worth noting that the Xbox One version uses 4x MSAA.
Old 28-09-16, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdayzzz View Post

£49.99 is hardly standard pricing (xbox copy on amazon £41.99) thats 16% more than a copy that can be re-sold, the bigger issue though is its £49.99 on Microsoft store only, so thats a price thats unlikely to change for a loooong time, with sites like cd keys ive never payed full rrp price for any new game and im sure im not the only one.
Old 29-09-16, 01:19 AM

I have a GTX 1080, but still run the i7-2600k (at stock speed) with 16GB RAM. This is the first game I've encountered which pegs my CPU at 100%, while the GPU rarely goes over 65%. Overall the game does run smooth on Ultra at 1440p. I do hope they can make some coding changes so my GPU is better utilized and I get a higher FPS (low 40's, peaking in the 50's right now).
Old 29-09-16, 05:30 PM

Does anyone else get severe lag in the custom upgrades menu?
Old 30-09-16, 02:40 PM

Quote:
with the game lacking crossfire or SLI support at this time.
Lazy devs.
Old 30-09-16, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Lazy devs.
Ignorant poster.