Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 19-08-16, 12:50 PM
News Guru

PCIe 4.0 devices are being shown off at IDF 2016

PCIe 4.0 devices are being shown off at IDF 2016, offering double the PCIe bandwidth of PCIe 3.0.

Read more on PCIe 4.0.

Old 19-08-16, 01:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Oh here we go again

Old 19-08-16, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Oh here we go again
Well, it is needed. The new Pascal cards run out of bandwidth from what I read. That is; if you don't run them on PCIe 3.0 x16.
Old 19-08-16, 01:09 PM
The Webmaster

urgh more 'bottleneck' thread incoming
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 19-08-16, 01:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy-ZA View Post
Well, it is needed. The new Pascal cards run out of bandwidth from what I read. That is; if you don't run them on PCIe 3.0 x16.
Not true !!!!

Rocking 4 way Pascal Titan Xs here and the bandwidth is fine.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Old 19-08-16, 02:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Just another reason for Intel to change sockets.

Old 19-08-16, 02:23 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Just another reason for Intel to change sockets.
Really.. This is clearly progress, were getting faster and it is "going" to be needed.
Old 19-08-16, 02:29 PM
News Guru

We also need to remember that storage is moving over to PCIe. In a few years NVMe may be the norm, we will need the extra bandwidth.

It also means that PCIe 4 CPUs and motherboards will be much more capable of SLI and CF. Remember that an x8 PCIe 4 lane is a X16 PCIe 3 lane.
Old 19-08-16, 02:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
Really.. This is clearly progress, were getting faster and it is "going" to be needed.
In 2025.

If we've not even maxed out PCIE3 yet with four Pascal Titan X then pray tell how PCIE4 is needed?

PCIE3 was released years too early also. It was only done because other than onboard USB3 and SATA 3 Intel's X79 platform offered nothing over X58. In fact, some X58 boards came with both.

My bet is we will see these PCIE4 boards come on new sockets for CPUs that are about 5-10% faster than what we have now, and the PCIE part will be the main selling strategy.

Obviously they're not going to move forward on DDR4 so this will give them the perfect sales pitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
We also need to remember that storage is moving over to PCIe. In a few years NVMe may be the norm, we will need the extra bandwidth.

It also means that PCIe 4 CPUs and motherboards will be much more capable of SLI and CF. Remember that an x8 PCIe 4 lane is a X16 PCIe 3 lane.
Even enthusiasts are not on all PCIE storage dude. It's far too expensive for the boosts it gives a regular desktop user. Don't get me wrong, my RAIDR is much faster than a Sandisk (I can feel it, especially loading up things like Photoshop) but that doesn't mean I would switch to all PCIE storage as it costs far too much.

Now in server land? yeah, check out AMD's Zen board with loads of PCIE slots. It's just another server hand me down dude, with the usual "Move along, nothing to see here" sign hanging from it.

Old 19-08-16, 02:50 PM
News Guru

Quote:

Even enthusiasts are not on all PCIE storage dude. It's far too expensive for the boosts it gives a regular desktop user. Don't get me wrong, my RAIDR is much faster than a Sandisk (I can feel it, especially loading up things like Photoshop) but that doesn't mean I would switch to all PCIE storage as it costs far too much.

Now in server land? yeah, check out AMD's Zen board with loads of PCIE slots. It's just another server hand me down dude, with the usual "Move along, nothing to see here" sign hanging from it.
Dude, I know that not many people are on PCIe storage. Not even TTL uses PCI storage on his main rig right now. I am just talking about moving forward.

Within the next year everyone will be releasing their 3DNAND to compete with Samsung and we have already seen that NVMe controllers are becoming much more easily available to make consumer drives.

Right now a lot of people buy X99 for the extra PCIe lanes, but with PCIe 4.0 even mainstream CPUs will have tonnes of bandwidth.

At earliest Intel will be adding PCIe 4.0 with Skylake-E and will certainly hit the enterprise market first.

The server market needs the extra bandwidth, so that is why this is being made, same with PCIe 3.0.

PCIe 4.o will be backwards compatible, so it really isn't an issue for consumers. Intel would make new sockets and boards anyway.