Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 27-07-16, 09:51 AM
The Guvnor

MSI Z170A MPOWER Gaming Titanium Preview

The MSI Z170A Titanium has a wealth of features to tempt you, and we show you them all.

MSI Z170A MPOWER Gaming Titanium Preview

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 27-07-16, 05:37 PM

I know this isn't tech support, but...

Apologies in advance!

As the title suggest I have encountered an issue with my mpower titanium z170, I'm just trying to determine whether it is a problem with my mobo, or whether its an issue with all of them, such as an early Bios Problem. My question is:

Do all the fan headers function normally? particularly CPU1 header.

with mine, regardless of fan type, all fans spin what I would consider slow, with CPU1 header not working at all. 100% spin speed set in bios and command center.
Old 27-07-16, 06:38 PM
The Guvnor

Download HWmonitor and see what the RPM speed is because 'slow' could mean many things, have you set everything up in the bios or have you just left it alone, are they PWM?

There are many many more questions that come out of your original one if you would like a proper answer.

Its 99.99999% a config issue though and not a fault.

Old 27-07-16, 07:20 PM

Thanks for getting back. The truth is I have many questions regarding the issue! (sorry in advance for filling the forum with stuff that should go to MSI Support!)

So as for PWM, yes, and no. I have been testing with both pwm fans and 3pin, both seem to have the same problems in all the headers, (minus CPU 1).

N.B: All components are new and installed new into the system.

With regard to config, I hope it is a config problem as well, but I think it may be a little more that just a few settings not ticked if you know what I mean, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue with the board!

With settings, I went into BIOS and on the most recent visit set "Set All to 100%", and then checked this using MSI command center software to check CPU 1, CPU 2, sys 1, 2, &3 headers are to max which they were.

If I plug in any fan into CPU 1 it will not spin. If I plug in my AIO pump, the light on the pump flickers, but in the mostly off kind of way. I suspect CPU1 header is damaged.

CPU 2 Header works (sort of) and has full PWM support, so I will be referring to that header with these numbers, so initially, I had an AIO hooked up, but it was idling at 60'C! (6700k non overclocked) so i swapped that with an intel stock cooler, so the pump may be faulty but I suspect not.

Now for RPMs.
the stock cooler stays at ~2000rpm with settings set to 100%. Now we all know how loud they are! well this isn't loud, which is what I meant by "slow", now if I unplug and replug it into the header, it ramps up to 3000rpm for ~2secs and ramps down, and stays down. That ramp up to 3000rpm is the noisy stock cooler at its best that we've all come to love!

Now with the (maybe faulty) AIO, in the same header, it will flicker between 0 and 1800rpm (yes plugged in correctly), then settle at 0rpm once left alone (the LED is solid on in this time, no flickering LED. this is what I believe was causing the high idle temps. This gives me the feeling that the MOBO isn't delivering enough power to each of the fan headers, as it seems unable to sustain the maximum or operation speeds.

This makes me think it may be a BIOS problem, but being such a new MOBO, there isn't one to update to! And since its a new mobo, there are currently no forum thread that I have found yet to check with!

if you've read this far you are AWESOME!
Old 28-07-16, 01:09 AM
OC3D Elite

What power supply are you using and also make sure the 24 pin and 8 pin power connectors are firmly on the board it only takes one to be slightly loose to give you issues
NZXT Phantom 630 White=Intel 5930K=MSI X99A Gaming Pro Carbon=32gig 2400Mhz GSkill Trident RGB= MSI GTX1080 Seahawk X=NZXT Kraken X62=Asus ROG Swift=Corsair K95 RGB=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Cougar 700M=Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB=Corsair AX1200i=White Sennheiser Game One=CableMod RGB LED=Pioneer BDR-209D=Windows 10 Pro=Creative Soundblaster ZXR=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS
Old 28-07-16, 10:24 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekksanpher View Post
Thanks for getting back. The truth is I have many questions regarding the issue! (sorry in advance for filling the forum with stuff that should go to MSI Support!)

So as for PWM, yes, and no. I have been testing with both pwm fans and 3pin, both seem to have the same problems in all the headers, (minus CPU 1).

N.B: All components are new and installed new into the system.

With regard to config, I hope it is a config problem as well, but I think it may be a little more that just a few settings not ticked if you know what I mean, which is why I wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue with the board!

With settings, I went into BIOS and on the most recent visit set "Set All to 100%", and then checked this using MSI command center software to check CPU 1, CPU 2, sys 1, 2, &3 headers are to max which they were.

If I plug in any fan into CPU 1 it will not spin. If I plug in my AIO pump, the light on the pump flickers, but in the mostly off kind of way. I suspect CPU1 header is damaged.

CPU 2 Header works (sort of) and has full PWM support, so I will be referring to that header with these numbers, so initially, I had an AIO hooked up, but it was idling at 60'C! (6700k non overclocked) so i swapped that with an intel stock cooler, so the pump may be faulty but I suspect not.

Now for RPMs.
the stock cooler stays at ~2000rpm with settings set to 100%. Now we all know how loud they are! well this isn't loud, which is what I meant by "slow", now if I unplug and replug it into the header, it ramps up to 3000rpm for ~2secs and ramps down, and stays down. That ramp up to 3000rpm is the noisy stock cooler at its best that we've all come to love!

Now with the (maybe faulty) AIO, in the same header, it will flicker between 0 and 1800rpm (yes plugged in correctly), then settle at 0rpm once left alone (the LED is solid on in this time, no flickering LED. this is what I believe was causing the high idle temps. This gives me the feeling that the MOBO isn't delivering enough power to each of the fan headers, as it seems unable to sustain the maximum or operation speeds.

This makes me think it may be a BIOS problem, but being such a new MOBO, there isn't one to update to! And since its a new mobo, there are currently no forum thread that I have found yet to check with!

if you've read this far you are AWESOME!

MSI will be in touch with you in this thread to try and help

Old 28-07-16, 11:54 AM

Thank you both!
I've checked the power cables at both ends (corsair HX850i) both seem to be fine, although they were hella tight! might try reconnecting them again to be sure though. I did get some (very minor) flex from the motherboard even with the Nerd-on inducing back plate when trying to install the 24pin. So some of my problems could be installation damage, but I highly doubt that, particularly the main problem is with CPU 1 header which is well away from the 24pin.

The biggest update is that I have determined the AIO was faulty, managed to plug it into a friends MOBO and had the same issue with switching from 0 to 1800rpm, although this doesn't explain the LED flickering from the CPU1 header.

With CPU2 header and the stock fan, I need to check this in another motherboard, as I suspect that CPU2 header is fine, as my Noctua fans spin at their max 2000rpm fine without ramping, its the ramping that is weird. Also this ramping also occurs in the SYS Fan 1, 2, &3 headers. It may be that its just the delay response of PWM that is causing the speed to exceed what the fan is rated of to 3000rpm, I'm not sure what the stock cooler specs are. I've been using a laptop previously so maybe it's just quiet from comparison! The next step is to clear the CMOS as suggested from MSI support and see if this makes any difference. The last time I did that I did give me some control over some of the fan headers which I previously didn't have!