Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 22-07-16, 10:30 AM
News Guru

AMD sees huge improvements in their Q2 2016 financial results

AMD has seen some huge improvements in their Q2 2016 financial results, returning to Non-GAAP profitability and increased revenue.

Read more on AMD's Q2 2016 financial results.

Old 22-07-16, 11:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Good for them, now if they can keep this ball rolling, they can start to pour more money into their R&D.

MAx respect for them for keeping their products at sucha good price/performance level, even with their financial dire straits up to now.
Old 22-07-16, 11:16 AM
OC3D Elite

I just saw that the RX 480 Nitro 4gb is on pre order for £199. I totally and utterly don't need it at all but I want it ! The prices on their 480 have been good so far and the AM cards are not pee taking either.

However, there's not really much point in buying a 480 to go with a stock P2 1055T just for Linux so I think I will opt for the 460 @ around £80. It should be more than enough to play most of my Steam games under Linux (the ones that are on there, L4D for example) so yeah, no need for a 480.

However if Zen is as good as I hope then I may build an APU TV center next year

Old 22-07-16, 11:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Yes it's good that AMD has make some money what is stopping them from putting the price up cause we all know what companies are like once they start making money they want even more.

If this happens people are going to moan about that too.
Old 22-07-16, 11:34 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Old School View Post
Yes it's good that AMD has make some money what is stopping them from putting the price up cause we all know what companies are like once they start making money they want even more.

If this happens people are going to moan about that too.
Vega will not be cheap. Any one thinking it will is deluded. HBM2 costs a fortune. If you want to know how much? consider why Nvidia have just released another Titan X with no HBM. I would say Vega will cost at least £600 possibly more simply down to the materials AMD have chosen. Even after it got pounded by the Titan X AMD still did not lower the price of the Fury X. This speaks volumes IMO. It was probably because they simply couldn't.

You can also expect Zen to be really expensive too. AMD themselves have already politely pointed out that this sort of tech and investment (in designers and so on) does not come cheap.

I think it's a double edged sword really. Every one expects AMD products to be as good as the competition or better but that they should also be really cheap.

Old 22-07-16, 01:21 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Vega will not be cheap. Any one thinking it will is deluded. HBM2 costs a fortune. If you want to know how much? consider why Nvidia have just released another Titan X with no HBM. I would say Vega will cost at least £600 possibly more simply down to the materials AMD have chosen. Even after it got pounded by the Titan X AMD still did not lower the price of the Fury X. This speaks volumes IMO. It was probably because they simply couldn't.

You can also expect Zen to be really expensive too. AMD themselves have already politely pointed out that this sort of tech and investment (in designers and so on) does not come cheap.

I think it's a double edged sword really. Every one expects AMD products to be as good as the competition or better but that they should also be really cheap.
Then you start to question the reason behind investing so much into an expensive technology that may not even allow AMD to topple the (new) Titan X's crown. It appears, then, to be an evolution for the sake of evolution. Maybe they need HBM2 to bring their power consumption down, but I'm sure there is more to it than that. Of course, Vega could match a Titan X(2), but I highly doubt it.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 22-07-16, 03:39 PM
OC3D Elite

After seeing the titan Z, nothing really surprises me in terms of price now. Numb.

Watercooling - custom
Old 22-07-16, 03:44 PM
Old N Gold

For me, it's going to come to a point where I just stop buying new graphics cards. I recognise that inflation is a thing and that as technology improves there is going to be an increase in price. But the Fury X was overpriced and the 1080 is overpriced. That's not a good sign. When the day comes when a mid-tier GPU is priced in the high-end market, I'll be sad. Gaming with every setting at the max is just not worth £1000 every year. FWP.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 22-07-16, 03:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
Then you start to question the reason behind investing so much into an expensive technology that may not even allow AMD to topple the (new) Titan X's crown. It appears, then, to be an evolution for the sake of evolution. Maybe they need HBM2 to bring their power consumption down, but I'm sure there is more to it than that. Of course, Vega could match a Titan X(2), but I highly doubt it.
Let there be absolutely and utterly no doubt, Vega will be all about 4k.

Any one buying it for less will never get the full potential out of it. Once you start getting to a level where the GPU itself is powerful enough to chuck 4k around memory bandwidth starts to become crucial. As Kaap pointed out here or somewhere else, with the lame clock speed, high chance of throttling (as even the 1080 does on the reference cooler) and GDDR5X it's quite clear that Nvidia are not being too serious with this "new" Titan X.

In actual specs IE - what it can do I have little doubt that Vega with HBM2 will absolutely smash the Titan X in Vulkan and DX12. The problem is it's still a little too early for people to actually care about that.

Whilst Nvidia have been living in the here and now since Fermi (IE making smaller dies with hardly anything going on and massive clock speeds to throw force at DX11) AMD have been sitting in their corner playing with GCN and tank cores with far more going on and because of that they have lower clock speeds and perform like poo in DX11.

I can't see AMD getting back into the game until DX11 is not used any more. Once that happens the RX 480 will take a large step out in front of the 1060 and the 1060 will simply be left behind. However, by then Nvidia will probably have *another* card that wins any way.

AMD are playing the long game. Whether or not it will work out for them? time is going to tell. I would imagine having all of the consoles under their belt things may well end up suiting them and pushing out Nvidia.

Also you need to consider Moore's Law. Eventually Nvidia are going to end up where Intel are now, closing down factories and laying off staff because people just won't keep buying 5% incremental upgrades.

So they're absolutely milking it while then can, I would imagine so that they have the funds to actually invest into something new other than GPUs that will keep their company alive in the long term.

Old 22-07-16, 05:14 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Let there be absolutely and utterly no doubt, Vega will be all about 4k.

Any one buying it for less will never get the full potential out of it. Once you start getting to a level where the GPU itself is powerful enough to chuck 4k around memory bandwidth starts to become crucial. As Kaap pointed out here or somewhere else, with the lame clock speed, high chance of throttling (as even the 1080 does on the reference cooler) and GDDR5X it's quite clear that Nvidia are not being too serious with this "new" Titan X.

In actual specs IE - what it can do I have little doubt that Vega with HBM2 will absolutely smash the Titan X in Vulkan and DX12. The problem is it's still a little too early for people to actually care about that.

Whilst Nvidia have been living in the here and now since Fermi (IE making smaller dies with hardly anything going on and massive clock speeds to throw force at DX11) AMD have been sitting in their corner playing with GCN and tank cores with far more going on and because of that they have lower clock speeds and perform like poo in DX11.

I can't see AMD getting back into the game until DX11 is not used any more. Once that happens the RX 480 will take a large step out in front of the 1060 and the 1060 will simply be left behind. However, by then Nvidia will probably have *another* card that wins any way.

AMD are playing the long game. Whether or not it will work out for them? time is going to tell. I would imagine having all of the consoles under their belt things may well end up suiting them and pushing out Nvidia.

Also you need to consider Moore's Law. Eventually Nvidia are going to end up where Intel are now, closing down factories and laying off staff because people just won't keep buying 5% incremental upgrades.

So they're absolutely milking it while then can, I would imagine so that they have the funds to actually invest into something new other than GPUs that will keep their company alive in the long term.
If big Vega is indeed all about 4K, I won't need big Vega.

For arguments sake, if the 490X is big Vega and offers 120% performance, I'd happy with a 490 at 100-110% performance. But if the 490 is intended to match the 1080 in both price, performance, and features (GDDR5X, for example), that may not be for me. I don't think I want a €750 AMD GPU that isn't even the flagship like nVidia is doing. The reason I migrated to AMD is to be a part of a more affordable system that still innovates and takes risks. Investing in Vulkan, Mantle, DX12, VR, HBM, Freesync, etc. are bold moves. The RX480 is a bolder GPU than the 1060, IMO. The 1060 is a sure thing, absolutely, but it's also a little boring. It's a safe bet that ticks all the boxes, and is certainly more impressive than the 960—which was only as good as a 680/770 until nVidia stopped supporting Kepler—but I still feel the RX480 was a bigger leap forward for AMD than the 1060 was for nVidia. The 1060 will give you higher frame rates in DX11 games (the majority of titles today), lower temperatures, lower power consumption, and more AIB variety, but it doesn't excite me like the RX480 does. I actually want to own an RX480. The 1060 is basically a 980 at a cheaper price. Temperatures or power consumption were never an issue with the 980, or even VRAM. It was just overpriced. That's basically all nVidia are introducing to their lineup with the 1060.

If the 490 is another RX480, where in DX11 tests it falls behind a 1080, but is also cheaper, that's cool with me. I may be reading things wrong, and this is just my opinion that could well be off—I was right about the 1060, 1070 and 1080), but I expected a little better from the RX480 in regards temperatures—but what I personally want is this:

RX490 - €600-650 for AIB like Sapphire Nitro, 200W TDP, 8GB HBM2, DX11 performance above a 1070, and DX12/Vulkan performance around 1080 levels. That's perfect for 1440p/60hz with settings cranked to the max, 1440p/144hz with settings like MSAA slightly lowered, or 4K/60Hz with settings lowered further.

RX490X - €700-750 for AIB like Sapphire Nitro, 250W TDP, 12GB HBM2, DX11 performance at heavily overclocked 1080 levels, and DX12/Vulkan performance at above Fury ProDuo levels (with good scaling factored in). That's 1440p/144Hz with settings cranked or 4K/120hz with settings slightly lowered.