Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 12-07-16, 08:59 PM
News Guru

EK has released their RX 480 GPU water block

EK has released their RX 480 GPU water block. Do you think that 100 Euro is a bit pricey for an RX 480?

Read more on EK's RX 480 GPU water block.

Old 12-07-16, 09:12 PM
OC3D Crew

Awesome!

Its also really nice that it turns the RX480 into a single slot card. Going to use the 480 in my son's birthday build.

--Rick--
Old 12-07-16, 10:01 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Just curious, but does anyone know how long the card is with the block on? I can't find any data on just PCB length instead of the extended cooler. Only asking because length is limited for ITX

But yes, I do think that's an expensive block for a mid range card.
Old 12-07-16, 10:06 PM
OC3D Elite

Imo a block is a block. that is just what they cost. The price point for the card itself is irrelevant. the same amount of r and d is required no matter the card value so why not charge the full price for the product. I think it looks class
Old 12-07-16, 11:01 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleDJackson View Post
Imo a block is a block. that is just what they cost. The price point for the card itself is irrelevant. the same amount of r and d is required no matter the card value so why not charge the full price for the product. I think it looks class
No not always true. Most of EKs blocks are the same exact style/look and really only differ in the areas where screws need to go.

What EK does is more or less have a standard price on all there GPU blocks. This means they aim for a specific profit margin. Has less to do with R&D since for every block about half is probably already done. Now for a custom PCB/specific card they make a block for, then yes it should and does cost more than a reference one, as they will sell less units and need to offset the costs somewhere.
Old 13-07-16, 05:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
No not always true. Most of EKs blocks are the same exact style/look and really only differ in the areas where screws need to go.

What EK does is more or less have a standard price on all there GPU blocks. This means they aim for a specific profit margin. Has less to do with R&D since for every block about half is probably already done. Now for a custom PCB/specific card they make a block for, then yes it should and does cost more than a reference one, as they will sell less units and need to offset the costs somewhere.

I didnt say how much the costs where hehehe. But i think to say that a product should be cheaper because the gpu is a cheaper item is bonkers. Watercooling is an optional upgrade and if a person isnt prepared to pay the price that is set then that person should not be water cooling.
Old 13-07-16, 07:07 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkleDJackson View Post
I didnt say how much the costs where hehehe. But i think to say that a product should be cheaper because the gpu is a cheaper item is bonkers. Watercooling is an optional upgrade and if a person isnt prepared to pay the price that is set then that person should not be water cooling.
Well with that attitude, water cooling companies will end up out of business much quicker. If they don't bring costs down, people will buy less for the simple reason that CPUs and GPUs(mostly GPUs) are getting more efficient and outputting less heat. There are fewer people who are willing to spend money on a pure comestic look for that amount of money when there is hardly a performance increase. When on the flip side a cheaper AIO can do the same thing with damn near the same results for less money and maintenance. It's a extremely niche market, they need to adapt or expand into other areas, which is hard for a niche company.
Old 13-07-16, 08:53 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Well with that attitude, water cooling companies will end up out of business much quicker. If they don't bring costs down, people will buy less for the simple reason that CPUs and GPUs(mostly GPUs) are getting more efficient and outputting less heat. There are fewer people who are willing to spend money on a pure comestic look for that amount of money when there is hardly a performance increase. When on the flip side a cheaper AIO can do the same thing with damn near the same results for less money and maintenance. It's a extremely niche market, they need to adapt or expand into other areas, which is hard for a niche company.
I really don't think EK will be out of business mate even if they only catered for the "high end" cards. There will still be demand for the enthusiast. Custom loops are expensive no matter which graphics card you use

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 13-07-16, 09:15 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
I really don't think EK will be out of business mate even if they only catered for the "high end" cards. There will still be demand for the enthusiast
Didn't say they would, but they certainly will be hurting themselves. High end cards wasn't my argument either. It was the costs of there blocks. I understand everyone's view on it, but from a business and financial point it's only hurting themselves in the long run as I explained previously
Old 13-07-16, 09:22 AM
OC3D Elite

Dude i'm not having a dig at you . Having a custom loop myself I can honestly speak from experience that the cost really escalates from air cooling. It's not only the block that comes into the equation it's the fittings, tubing coolant etc, etc

On another note Mr Kaapstad are you gonna block your 4 rx 480's

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla