Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 29-06-16, 01:00 PM
The Guvnor

AMD Radeon RX480 Polaris 8GB Review

The latest iteration of the Radeon cards is upon us, providing a combination of excellent value for money and performance. We put the RX480 8GB through its paces.

AMD Radeon RX480 Polaris 8GB Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 29-06-16, 01:06 PM
OC3D Elite

OK can you please now strap an AIO to it and see if it's temp bound?

Old 29-06-16, 01:31 PM
OC3D Elite

XFX is the only company who put a back plate on where all of the other companies did a bone head move buy not putting one on.

Also the ASUS, Gigabyte & MSI are a complete rip off in pricing on this card too they are charging an extra $40-$50 more compare to the XFX card.
Old 29-06-16, 01:34 PM

and here AMD just made an "8800GT 512MB" move on Nvidia .... ;-)
Old 29-06-16, 01:41 PM
Old N Gold

I was expecting quite a bit little lower temperatures, and lower power draw as well, but the performance is only slightly lower than I expected which is not bad. It's the price and availability that is going to give AMD the lead here, I reckon.

I read a Crossfire 480 review... it's bad. Either drivers seriously need work—which is a given, obviously—or this is the state of multi-GPU setups now.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 29-06-16, 01:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I was expecting quite a bit little lower temperatures, and lower power draw as well, but the performance is only slightly lower than I expected which is not bad. It's the price and availability that is going to give AMD the lead here, I reckon.

I read a Crossfire 480 review... it's bad. Either drivers seriously need work—which is a given, obviously—or this is the state of multi-GPU setups now.
Yes for the moment but i think Nvidia is going to counter punch AMD maybe with the 1060 when it comes out, But who knows atm.

Well all know that Nvidia can do it but will they is the question.
Old 29-06-16, 02:16 PM
OC3D Elite

It certainly is a good step forward for AMD, but i'm not sure if impressive is the right word to describe it. If the 970 is the competitor, i can get an EVGA GTX970 Superclocked ACX for 240€, that's just 20€ more and that cooler is definitely better, with a bit of an overclock it can probably keep up with the 480, at least for now while drivers are in an early stage. The 8GB version is 270€, which i think is a bit much, the non reference cards are going to be approaching the 300€ mark. A 6GB version would've been perfect, i've seen games at 1080p go slightly over the 4GB mark, but 8GB? Far from it. Considering that the reference cooler has no overclocking headroom (unless you are fine with 93C and the fan going at full chat, i'm not), that really brings the price/performance ration down quite a lot. In terms of power consumption they've made good progress but there's still a gap to nvidia, the 1070 uses the same amount of power but performs a lot better, makes me wonder what the power consumption on Vega will be like. Maybe you can file that under 'It's a mid range card, what did you expect', but it's still worth noting i think.
Overall i'd probably still recommend an aftermarket 4GB 480 over the 970 simply because drivers are going to make that card better, but it's not that price performance monster the hype suggested it would be. Is there any word on when the non reference cards will release?
They also need to stop marketing these as VR GPUs, they just aren't, a 1080 hardly qualifies imo. VR requires 90-120 fps at 2x1080p, that's just not going to happen with a 480, even with two that's going to be a struggle. Someone who will spend 800€ on a VR headset isn't the type of person who is on a GPU budget, VR is nowhere near being affordable right now.
Old 29-06-16, 02:28 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Old School View Post
Yes for the moment but i think Nvidia is going to counter punch AMD maybe with the 1060 when it comes out, But who knows atm.

Well all know that Nvidia can do it but will they is the question.
I can't see the 1060 being as cheap as the 480, but I can definitely see it being more powerful, with better temperatures, lower power draw, and with better overclocking (at least compared to reference 480).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekaX View Post
It certainly is a good step forward for AMD, but i'm not sure if impressive is the right word to describe it. If the 970 is the competitor, i can get an EVGA GTX970 Superclocked ACX for 240€, that's just 20€ more and that cooler is definitely better, with a bit of an overclock it can probably keep up with the 480, at least for now while drivers are in an early stage. The 8GB version is 270€, which i think is a bit much, the non reference cards are going to be approaching the 300€ mark. A 6GB version would've been perfect, i've seen games at 1080p go slightly over the 4GB mark, but 8GB? Far from it. Considering that the reference cooler has no overclocking headroom (unless you are fine with 93C and the fan going at full chat, i'm not), that really brings the price/performance ration down quite a lot. In terms of power consumption they've made good progress but there's still a gap to nvidia, the 1070 uses the same amount of power but performs a lot better, makes me wonder what the power consumption on Vega will be like. Maybe you can file that under 'It's a mid range card, what did you expect', but it's still worth noting i think.
Overall i'd probably still recommend an aftermarket 4GB 480 over the 970 simply because drivers are going to make that card better, but it's not that price performance monster the hype suggested it would be. Is there any word on when the non reference cards will release?
They also need to stop marketing these as VR GPUs, they just aren't, a 1080 hardly qualifies imo. VR requires 90-120 fps at 2x1080p, that's just not going to happen with a 480, even with two that's going to be a struggle. Someone who will spend 800€ on a VR headset isn't the type of person who is on a GPU budget, VR is nowhere near being affordable right now.
Yeah, the 970 is pretty much the same price as a 480, is quieter, cheaper, overclocks better, and performs, on average, ever so slightly behind the 480, which can recouped easily with a modest overclock. I'm a bit disappointed. Like you said, I'd still recommend a 480 over a 970 since nVidia will likely stop supporting Maxwell once Pascal is fully released. And the 480 is only going to improve as more and more games are optimized for the new architecture and the next slew of DX12 games come out like Deus Ex. But I was hoping for a GPU like the 960—low temps, good overclocks, low noise—with around 980 performance, but maybe that was a little overoptimistic. Maybe we'll see closer to 980 performance once the drivers mature and the temperatures and overclocking should improve once the AIB partners ditch that rubbish cooler AMD and OCUK insists is perfectly adequate, but right now the RX480 is just a very good value for money card.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 29-06-16, 02:51 PM
OC3D Elite

To me, this is the card i would recommend to anyone with not a big budget and still looking for good 1080p performance, Yes i could recommend the 970, and i have one of those myself, BUT i want to recommend this 480 because we all need amd to do better and get back in the market, otherwise nvidia can just keep doing what it is doing, and settle for seriously stupid prices and get away with it.

I knew it would be around 970 performance ,and for the money its pretty damn good, yeah stock cooler is an issue with amd, always has been, but thats not a bad thing in my opinion, id prefer this not so great cooler over the bollocks that nvidia is playing with theirs, oh want the FE cooler, pay more for nothing extra, and then board partners started to match that price, because why would they sell for 70 or 100 dollar less if people are willing to shell that much for a reference cooler, ahem rant over.

I think amd did great here all things considered.
Old 29-06-16, 03:08 PM
OC3D Elite

so it is a 780ti performance level card..
i'm feeling quite clever right now having assumed that for ages. But also slightly disappointed, i was hoping it would be at the lvls leak's had claimed. ah well..
its still a good card, and should bring decent 1080p gaming to masses of people who would usually buy a much lower performing card.