Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 17-06-16, 09:28 PM
News Guru

AMD's stocks are now worth over $5

AMD's stocks are still continuing to climb, with AMD's stock prices now breaking the $5 barrier. This is over 2x the price that the stocks were trading for earlier in the year.

Read more on AMD's stock prices.

Old 17-06-16, 09:43 PM
OC3D Elite

This is only positive for AMD.
Old 17-06-16, 10:31 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
This is only positive for AMD.
While that's true now, need to remember that investors are only buying now because of 2 things. Zen and Polaris. With so much hype around Zen and Polaris at $200, if either fails or does not meet a certain level of this hype around them, I guarantee that stock will plummet. So yes good now, but it's still a very risky stock. Many companies still have a sell rating on it
Old 17-06-16, 11:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
While that's true now, need to remember that investors are only buying now because of 2 things. Zen and Polaris. With so much hype around Zen and Polaris at $200, if either fails or does not meet a certain level of this hype around them, I guarantee that stock will plummet. So yes good now, but it's still a very risky stock. Many companies still have a sell rating on it
Fair enough dude... To be honest with you, everytime I see anything related to "AMD" I pretty much always wait for your reply/input on it.
Since you seem very knowledgeable about it all and I enjoy reading your thoughts etc regarding AMD
Old 18-06-16, 02:14 AM
OC3D Elite

amd recently made some sales of subsidiary asian company s and sold licensing agreements which together came to about $600m which near enough cancelled out last years losses, this had a big boost on the value of stocks as far as im aware (compared to the start of the year)
And now with zen polaris and also the deal with the consoles, i cant see stock prices plummeting too far. although i dont think they will be at nvidia lvls any time soon, i would imagine they should climb to about $10 or so reasonably quickly. but i dont imagine they will get above $20 unless the market share on gpu's dramatically changes on the release of polaris. And if that did happen it would probably bring the market values of the stocks back in line to when they were more competitive, which would still only be about 50% of the cost of a nvidia share.

Still hoping for good things. would really like to see amd really smash it this gen on gpus. havent really had an effective amd gpu since the hd 3xxx cards wiped the floor with nvidia. and lets not mention bulldozer.
Old 18-06-16, 07:23 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Fair enough dude... To be honest with you, everytime I see anything related to "AMD" I pretty much always wait for your reply/input on it.
Since you seem very knowledgeable about it all and I enjoy reading your thoughts etc regarding AMD
I read a lot about AMD and Nvidia (even Intel tbh) on stock market stuff. I find the best articles come from those sources as they get way more into detail and give whole other perspectives on companies and roadmaps etc than any gaming or technology website does. No offense to them or anything, but they make a living off that stuff so you can see the quality differences in content and depth. Although they don't cover everything like OC3D or PCGamer(as examples) do so I still read as much as I can. I'm really glad Mark took notice of this article though. I highly recommend he looks around those sources more often. I'll even help him out if he needs it
But thank you for compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles1980 View Post
amd recently made some sales of subsidiary asian company s and sold licensing agreements which together came to about $600m which near enough cancelled out last years losses, this had a big boost on the value of stocks as far as im aware (compared to the start of the year)
And now with zen polaris and also the deal with the consoles, i cant see stock prices plummeting too far. although i dont think they will be at nvidia lvls any time soon, i would imagine they should climb to about $10 or so reasonably quickly. but i dont imagine they will get above $20 unless the market share on gpu's dramatically changes on the release of polaris. And if that did happen it would probably bring the market values of the stocks back in line to when they were more competitive, which would still only be about 50% of the cost of a nvidia share
You are being too optimistic. I really want AMD to be more successful than they currently are, but $20 per share is pretty far fetched. Even $10 is very unlikely until I'd say after earning reports of Q1 2017. It really depends ALL on Zen. Polaris is a nice compliment but let's be honest here. CPUs bring in more money. The opportunity for growth and profit is much higher than the GPU segment currently and you have ALL database, Enterprise servers, etc etc WAITING specifically for Zens debut. They are tired of the insane prices Intel charge for. But if Zen fails, that's an immense amount of profit lost. Even a 1% market share grab from Intel(who holds nearly 100%) for AMD would net over a $1billion revenue and that's what they really need ATM.

Vega will bring round 2 for AMDs rise to higher stock prices. As that's what truly will get them into GPU market's like Super Computers or Professional software companies.
Old 18-06-16, 11:06 AM
born in a.....

If AMD don't messup the pricing for their upcoming server CPUs (particularly the ones with a large amount of cores) they can easily grab some juicy market share in the server environment. Especially as companies are moving towards virtualization or even cloud services.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 18-06-16, 11:30 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

I actually wanted to invest in some AMD stocks last year but due to capital controls I couldn't. I'm kinda sad now

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 18-06-16, 01:29 PM
OC3D Elite

i dont see $10 being unlikely, i see it as being the most likely.. however $20.. or there abouts would really need the gpu sales share change drastically after polaris. Which it could do, but that still is less than 1/2 of the price of a nvidia stock.
Old 18-06-16, 04:19 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
If AMD don't messup the pricing for their upcoming server CPUs (particularly the ones with a large amount of cores) they can easily grab some juicy market share in the server environment. Especially as companies are moving towards virtualization or even cloud services.
Exactly why it will be very profitable for them if Zen performs up to par. They already know companies are wanting the CPUs, so they can price accordingly and make maximum profit. Like I said earlier, even a 1% market share gain for AMD is a $1billion revenue gain and that's huge for them