Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 13-06-16, 06:24 PM
News Guru

Microsoft announces Project Scorpio Xbox One Console

Microsoft announces Project Scorpio Xbox One Console, which features a new 8-core CPU and a GPU with 6TFLOPS of compute performance.

Read more on the Xbox One Project Scorpio.

Old 13-06-16, 07:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Depending on how many games they bring on PC, makes the buying of an Xbox questionable
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 13-06-16, 07:11 PM

This has been announced because they know the Xbox One is technologically inferior to the current PS4.

Sony need Microsoft to keep them on their toes but one can't help think that Microsoft would be better off partnering with someone like Steam and just go PC :/

Desktop 1: (Antec 300, Old Q6600) >> Retired
Desktop 2: (Antec Aria, Retired Opteron 185) >> Zen Upgrade (Eventually)
Server: (Bit-Fenix Phenom Mini ITX, i5 4570S, 8GB Ram, 18TB HDD Raid 1)
Old 13-06-16, 07:35 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Xbox one has 1.31TFLOPs of compute performance. Safe to say this is nearly 4x the amount of power in the GPU alone.

Don't think you could fit a single 8 core chip and a 6TFLOP GPU on one die, considering those types of GPUs take up massive amounts of die area now, it'll probably be an 8 Core Zen and a AMD GPU equal, so probably the 480 when considering it will take more than a year to plan out, the hardware out now is what will go into it, unless they do somewhat radically different. This is assuming it's AMD. Which it is guaranteed to be.
Old 13-06-16, 10:09 PM

I think Microsoft may have shown their hand a little early. Nintendo did this with the Wii U and this ultimately flopped....I know you can't really compare Nintendo to Microsoft as 3rd party dev's never really like working with Nintendo...but its possible the same pattern could be seen here.

Desktop 1: (Antec 300, Old Q6600) >> Retired
Desktop 2: (Antec Aria, Retired Opteron 185) >> Zen Upgrade (Eventually)
Server: (Bit-Fenix Phenom Mini ITX, i5 4570S, 8GB Ram, 18TB HDD Raid 1)
Old 13-06-16, 11:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Seems MS and Sony are both going down the same route for their midlife update consoles.

It makes sense as long as the games can play across new and old versions of each. I'm not sure what it would mean for the developers though, there was talk of having different versions for the PS4 on one disc so could be similar. Enhanced graphics or frame rates for the Scorpio etc.

I'm keen for the cross play to become more standard and I think MS are after the living room HTPC and gaming market.

Old 14-06-16, 12:18 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimma47 View Post
Seems MS and Sony are both going down the same route for their midlife update consoles.

It makes sense as long as the games can play across new and old versions of each. I'm not sure what it would mean for the developers though, there was talk of having different versions for the PS4 on one disc so could be similar. Enhanced graphics or frame rates for the Scorpio etc.

I'm keen for the cross play to become more standard and I think MS are after the living room HTPC and gaming market.
Many devs are going to Download only. It's so much cheaper for them than to buy blu ray discs and mass produce them. Not even including shipping worldwide. It's cheaper to just have Steam take a royalty cut. Or other services that are being used.

MS said they plan on more frequent hardware updates. Which begs the question, why not just get a PC? Instead of buying a whole new system every 3 years you could just do it once and pay the same amount over time. Not even counting games which can be had on PC for much less. That's also inlcuding the new MS push towards bringing Xbox and Windows closer together. But for the casual gamers, probably don't matter to them. They'll stick to consoles as long as games are being made for them.
Old 14-06-16, 08:15 AM

No one would say that a R9 390X on a PC is "more than powerful enough for VR gaming", especially not in 4K. How come this is different for consoles?
Old 14-06-16, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breit View Post
No one would say that a R9 390X on a PC is "more than powerful enough for VR gaming", especially not in 4K. How come this is different for consoles?
Don't be ridiculous no one would say a 390x or even a 390 is not enough for VR, a 390x is better than a GTX 970 or 980 most of the time it is powerful enough for current VR games especially these new console Head mounted displays with there lower resolutions (and likely weaker post processing/effects/filters) as compared to the HTC Vive or Occulus Rift
CPU: i5 3570K CPU Cooler: NH-U12S RAM: Crucial Ballistic 16GB GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 Motherboard: ASUS Z68-V SSD: Sandisk 480GB PSU: Super flower 650w Platinum Case: Define R5 PCGH Monitor: Dell U2414H
Old 14-06-16, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDudo View Post
Don't be ridiculous no one would say a 390x or even a 390 is not enough for VR, a 390x is better than a GTX 970 or 980 most of the time it is powerful enough for current VR games especially these new console Head mounted displays with there lower resolutions (and likely weaker post processing/effects/filters) as compared to the HTC Vive or Occulus Rift
I'm not a big fan of VR anyways, but from all I've gathered so far common sense seems to be that for VR to be "immersive enough" it need high refresh rates (in the range of 90+ FPS), low latency inputs and a high resolution as well (probably 1440p or even 2160p and not just 1080p). Remember that you need to render 2 viewports in that resolution. I don't see that with a R9 390X.
Sure, for a low frame rate (current consoles render usually at 30 FPS) and a low resolution (720p/900p is what current consoles do) a R9 390X will suffice, but that can't be great in terms of VR experience (motion sickness comes to mind).