Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 12-06-16, 05:19 PM
News Guru

Halo SPV3 - The Halo CE overhaul that fans have always wanted

Mods are the lifeblood of the PC gaming community and some mods shine above most others. Today we look at the Single player Version 3 mod for Halo: Combat Evolved, the mod that will bring the best of franchise's single player onto modern PCs.

Read more on Halo's Single Player Version 3 mod.

Old 14-06-16, 10:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via MSN to MSIRawZ Send a message via Skype™ to MSIRawZ
Hale CE I still rate as my favourite game of all time. Many, many years of my life lost playing that game day and night.. but worth it!

Bring back the online mode and I'm playing it again.
Old 14-06-16, 02:37 PM

Thumbs down It's alright

I've seen the last two versions of this mod and they are pretty similar. The graphics are certainly better but I would never call them on par with modern games. Many objects look like they are too shiny and bumped, like they're vomiting specular. Many of the new weapons are creative but really do not have the Halo feel. You say everything in this mod is inspired by other Halo games. You couldn't be further from the truth. CMT Stands for CUSTOM Mapping Team. What's custom is all the stuff they made that isn't in any Halo lore, though what IS custom is stuff they've shamelessly copied from other games. The level of quality is way too low to get my excitement going. Sorry, would not play.
Old 14-06-16, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSIRawZ View Post
Hale CE I still rate as my favourite game of all time. Many, many years of my life lost playing that game day and night.. but worth it!

Bring back the online mode and I'm playing it again.
It's active on Custom Edition though. I've seen as many as 900 players sometimes. Almost all the servers are a bit modded though, but I think you may find it really fun.
Old 15-06-16, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettigrew View Post
I've seen the last two versions of this mod and they are pretty similar. The graphics are certainly better but I would never call them on par with modern games. Many objects look like they are too shiny and bumped, like they're vomiting specular. Many of the new weapons are creative but really do not have the Halo feel. You say everything in this mod is inspired by other Halo games. You couldn't be further from the truth. CMT Stands for CUSTOM Mapping Team. What's custom is all the stuff they made that isn't in any Halo lore, though what IS custom is stuff they've shamelessly copied from other games. The level of quality is way too low to get my excitement going. Sorry, would not play.
That's a rather silly and uninformed opinion. The first SPV was simply them stretching their legs, and they admitted they didn't put that much thought into it. And SPV2 was leaked so its not really relevant in the situation.

They've made a custom model for Master Chief, they've made completely new areas, new weapons, and have worked fervently on adapting the sandbox to suit them. The shininess can be deactivated and is actually the result of a third party tool. And, how exactly can you judge whether or not it fits the "Halo feel" when you haven't played it?
Old 16-06-16, 12:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Gosh, talk about ungrateful. There really shouldn't be any negative criticisms about mods at all. If you don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that.

People out a lot of time and effort into mods for a variety of games. Hardly fair their efforts are met with negativity.

Watercooling - custom
Old 19-06-16, 04:35 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettigrew View Post

Your criticism is invalid to the point that you have not played it. Graphics is not every thing a game has to offer you. The quality is way better than Halo CE Anniversary. At certain places it looks better that Halo 3. Custom stands for making custom assets that are in par with the Halo lore (this looks beyond your comprehension). The weapons used in spv3 are there in other halo games but only operate in a more realistic manner, some weapons have additional tactical advantage, and they feel better than what 343 designed for halo 5, which is simply the halo 3 and 4 weapons with colourful bands on them, if you like that play CS:GO. I see you noticed the shiny textures, but what about Halo 4 and 5, the armor should be metal alloy, but they look like plastic, you call that lore friendly. Is that what Halo should be like, a bunch of Spartans who don't know what they are doing, wearing plastic armors. What is Halo 5, an anime? The graphics are good in Halo 5 but not realistic. It is important that you enjoy and have fun while playing the game, not just stand and admire the graphics. Everyone knows that Halo 5 has been a disappointment in terms of campaign. If you like that boring game, if it is what you call quality, play it, but don't false criticise the hard working crew behind spv3, they are not doing this for material gains, but love for Halo. If you don't like it don't play it.

You also seem to contradict your own opinions. At a point you said "What's custom is all the stuff they made that isn't in any Halo lore" and then you said "they've shamelessly copied from other games". If they had copied stuff, why wouldn't they be lore friendly. There is a difference between making custom content and copying things (I hope you have that minimum intelligence to understand that).

I would suggest anyone to ignore his mindless comment, because it is completely invalid. Please don't feel heart broken after reading his comment. The guys behind spv3, keep up the good work. Pettigrew, please think twice before posting a comment that hurts someone, please do validate your own opinions before posting them.