Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 25-04-16, 07:04 PM
News Guru

AMD Radeon Software Crimson 16.4.2 - DirectX 12 Performance Boosted

AMD has been making huge strides when it comes to their GPU drivers, with their new 16.4.2 driver promising some new DirectX 12 optimisations.

Read more on AMD's new DirectX 12 boosting GPU driver.

Old 25-04-16, 11:27 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Is this the driver that increases DX12 performance? I didn't find that info in the driver release notes?
Old 26-04-16, 09:40 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Is this the driver that increases DX12 performance? I didn't find that info in the driver release notes?
The main thing about this driver is the enhanced CF profiles for the Radeon Pro Duo, but it does offer more than what the release notes say.

AMD were nice enough to give us this driver early saying little more than that it contained new DirectX 12 optimizations, so we spent a lot of time testing it and low and behold we got a performance gain in every DirectX 12 game we tried.

While the performance gains are not massive, around 3-5% in most cases, they are very welcome. We expect that AMD are working on more optimizations for future releases, they want the best DX12 performance for when then next generation of products release.
Old 26-04-16, 10:56 AM

That's all nice but what about fixing X-Fire issues the latest titles are plagued with?
DX11 and it's limitations will remain with us for some time...
Old 26-04-16, 05:01 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
The main thing about this driver is the enhanced CF profiles for the Radeon Pro Duo, but it does offer more than what the release notes say.

AMD were nice enough to give us this driver early saying little more than that it contained new DirectX 12 optimizations, so we spent a lot of time testing it and low and behold we got a performance gain in every DirectX 12 game we tried.

While the performance gains are not massive, around 3-5% in most cases, they are very welcome. We expect that AMD are working on more optimizations for future releases, they want the best DX12 performance for when then next generation of products release.
Ah okay then. Small increases but as they get better with dx12 and games get better at using it, should work out for them in the long run
Old 26-04-16, 09:42 PM

I don't know if I missed the reason written somewhere but why was GOW only tested at 4k?
Old 27-04-16, 12:31 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashathedog View Post
I don't know if I missed the reason written somewhere but why was GOW only tested at 4k?
GOW is a UWP application, which caps the framerate at the monitors refresh rate.

The reviewer does not have a 60+hz 1440p or 1080p monitor at this time, making testing at these resolutions pointless.
Old 03-05-16, 04:28 PM

What about the performance of previous radeon cards, i. e. R9 295x2 or R9 290x?
Thanks in advance,
Old 07-05-16, 10:25 PM
OC3D Elite

AMD are the ones to watch moving forwards as now we have more responsibility put in the game devs hands rather than waiting for driver updates the game devs have way more control.
AMD are cornering the console market and it looks like Nvidia are wanting to shift focus to profession gfx and automotive applications.
ASUS Prime x370 Pro | Ryzen 5 1600 | Antec 240 AIO | Corsair Vengance RGB 3000 2 x 8Gb | Asus Strix RX 470 | Samsung Evo 120gb ssd | Seagate Baracuda 1tb storage | EVGA 500w | Phanteks Entho ProM Acrylic Window | Windows 10 and Linux Manjaro