Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-02-16, 07:09 PM
News Guru

PlayStation VR to Cost $299

A Sony representative has stated that PlayStation VR will cost $299 without the Playstation Move controllers or the Playstation Camera, half the price of the Oculus Rift.

Read more on Playstation VR's pricing.

Old 07-02-16, 09:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Wow, was not expecting such a big difference.

Watercooling - custom
Old 08-02-16, 12:34 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Doesn't it also need an external box that helps aid in processing?
Old 08-02-16, 10:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
Wow, was not expecting such a big difference.
I was. Just another example of how PC gamers are exploited and conned.

Old 10-02-16, 05:08 PM
OC3D Elite

B4 you get to excited wait to see what the controllers and camera will cost, and the games to play it with
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 10-02-16, 05:15 PM
born in a.....

So $299 for a usb face mounted screen basically.

This will not cover the entire extra console you'll need to run in order to get that framerate they've set UNLESS this is going to be a <720p experience..
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 10-02-16, 05:24 PM

Lightbulb Completely read all the specs and facts before you consider the PSVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I was. Just another example of how PC gamers are exploited and conned.
I really hope you own a PC so you know the argument against that. Both PC and Consoles exploit their audiences, both pretty much but not exactly evenly. The PC gamers have it worse because of some developers putting emphasis on consoles and pulling the graphics and effort put into ports down on PC due to that. Also, console games generally cost a serious amount more than the PC.

It seems like if anything it's the console players who have been conned due to the fact you have a $300 - $400 dollar headset but will need an extra graphics box at who knows what price, and honestly it's probably not going to be able to run any highly demanding graphical games, unlike the Oculus. Most likely the graphics processor will be nothing over $150-$200 (at a guess) but but that's still a lot. And to have efficient and effective VR motion control and a camera to track head movements are pretty much a must. So therefore it's most likely that people should buy the $400 if they're looking for anywhere near the tracking precision that the oculus offers. PSVR has the tracking LEDS but what are they there for if not to be tracked by a camera or sensor. Also, add on the probable $150-$200 price tag of the processing box and you're looking at around $550-$600. So at best a $49 cheaper option compared to the Oculus, and at worse a $1 more expensive option should the box be $200. Not the huge price difference that people thought they saw. (Plus, don't expect to play Uncharted 4 on the PS4 in VR. Nope. Never gonna happen)

With no support for older games, I as a PS4 and a PC user would pick the Oculus due to the fact you can most of the time force non-oculus compatible games into VR, whereas with PSVR that isn't going to happen until they somehow simulate 3DVR and that's going to be interesting.

Oculus: Expensive, huge range of games (whether VR or not), controllerless motion tracking (but also has controllers if needed)

PSVR: Expensive, small range of VR compatible games, have to use handheld controllers, however interesting to see where it goes. Maybe the PS5 will learn from the VR part of it's predecessor and have some graphical and processing upgrades to make Full PSVR gaming a reality without being limited
Old 10-02-16, 05:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruffyBadgerLord View Post
I really hope you own a PC
If he did not he would be on a console forum and not a pc one and as for splashing out cash on hardware oh my god when you game on a PC the money you can spend is "Bonkers Mental (sorry TTL)" compared to a Console

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 10-02-16, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
If he did not he would be on a console forum and not a pc one and as for splashing out cash on hardware oh my god when you game on a PC the money you can spend is "Bonkers Mental (sorry TTL)" compared to a Console
Sort of depends. But fair enough on hardware costs. It's just people think it's cheap that irritates me
Old 11-02-16, 10:37 AM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
So $299 for a usb face mounted screen basically.

This will not cover the entire extra console you'll need to run in order to get that framerate they've set UNLESS this is going to be a <720p experience..
Without saying too much, it doesn't work the same way others' do that people currently have in their homes on their PC's
Asus x79 Deluxe | Intel 3930k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3 | 2 x 3GB Gigabyte Windforce 780GTX - SLi | Xonar Essence STX | 2 x 256GB Samsung 840 Pros | 2TB Samsung F4 | Corsair RM1000i | Caselabs SM8 - White | 2 x Alphacool 360x60 | Bitspower 400mm Res Top | Dual Laing D5 Pumps | Bitspower C47 Fittings | XSPC Raystorm | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro
Notice: Don't feed the trolls!