Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 18-01-07, 01:19 PM
OC3D Elite

Intel Confirms 45nm For 2008

According to our source, Intel have working samples of the 45nm Penryn processors. Intel also appear to be ramping up in their effort for 2008. It's certainly interesting times, will AMD be left behind again? Feel free to voice your opinion below...

Link

Old 18-01-07, 01:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Will this 45nm process be used with future c2d's and quads? Or will Penryn be a whole new range requring new mobos etc?
Old 18-01-07, 07:03 PM
OC3D Elite

well i duno what amds goign to come up with but i am guesing its going to be something like 5000+ x10; i wish, that would be a beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this
-----------------------------------------------------------

Old 18-01-07, 07:10 PM

45nm will be everything I would imagine, though a new line is bound to feature
Old 18-01-07, 07:12 PM
OC3D Elite

well with the technology getting smaller they are going to start getting alot more speed out of those chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Jim'
Is it wrong that I'm enjoying this
-----------------------------------------------------------

Old 18-01-07, 08:05 PM
OC3D Elite

If AMD does their GPU/CPU thing then Intel has nothing on them, 45nm or not. Because i will be more interested in AMDs new chip, instead of a new nano process.
Old 18-01-07, 09:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Will this 45nm process be used with future c2d's and quads? Or will Penryn be a whole new range requring new mobos etc?
Newline, that`s how the mobo companies generally make their money. They`ll be licking their chops.

There`s no reason why a general mobo, capable of 1000 pin basic configuration, with bus speeds that would go well in excess of the previous 800/1066 - but limited by knowing which cpu is plugged into it. Inherently relying on bios flashes, of sorts, to advance to new cpus. (as older 939 boards accepted 64 bit ones). Things like this will never happen.

Old 18-01-07, 09:56 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Mr. Smith'
Penryn is C2 architecture just on a smaller node. But, you can certainly bet that a new mobo will be required for the new chipset.
Old 18-01-07, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='PP Mguire'
If AMD does their GPU/CPU thing then Intel has nothing on them, 45nm or not. Because i will be more interested in AMDs new chip, instead of a new nano process.
To do it properly AMD will have to get their die shrunk as well, 65nm is still a little too big for something as heat-intensive as a CPU/GPU
Old 19-01-07, 12:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Kempez™'
To do it properly AMD will have to get their die shrunk as well, 65nm is still a little too big for something as heat-intensive as a CPU/GPU
Think we`d end up going down the lines where AMD(ATI) would then not be worry about compliance with standards - and to be fair, this could be both good and bad.

Get the power consumptions reduced also, not for any `green` reasons, but just for eff sake.