Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 22-12-15, 08:55 AM
The Guvnor

ASUS Zenbook UX305 Review

Tired of lugging around your heavy laptop, but demand more than can be achieved with a simple tablet? The ASUS Zenbook might be just the thing.

ASUS Zenbook UX305 Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 22-12-15, 09:21 AM
born in a.....

Wow, that is the first Zenbook I'd actually spend my own money on (if they've improved build quality this time). The pricing is spot on and really shows that Windows laptops have really come on in leaps and bounds recently.
A year ago I'd have said that no one could do an ultralight laptop that would best the low end MBA in terms of cost/weight but this really smashes it out the park. While the CPU is slightly slower than the i5 they use in the low end MBA it still is a much better buy in pretty much every aspect. GG Asus.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 22-12-15, 09:25 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Wow, that is the first Zenbook I'd actually spend my own money on (if they've improved build quality this time). The pricing is spot on and really shows that Windows laptops have really come on in leaps and bounds recently.
A year ago I'd have said that no one could do an ultralight laptop that would best the low end MBA in terms of cost/weight but this really smashes it out the park. While the CPU is slightly slower than the i5 they use in the low end MBA it still is a much better buy in pretty much every aspect. GG Asus.
For normal day to day use the i3 is more than capable. Unless you are transcoding videos or doing some hardcore photoshop youll never notice. The battery life, aesthetics, build quality and price are really what this is all about.

Old 22-12-15, 09:32 AM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
For normal day to day use the i3 is more than capable. Unless you are transcoding videos or doing some hardcore photoshop youll never notice. The battery life, aesthetics, build quality and price are really what this is all about.
The price is fantastic. Almost insane if its as well built as I think it is. The battery is also awesome. The rest is pretty much stock ultrabook.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 22-12-15, 10:11 AM
OC3D Elite

Didn't even know notebooks were reviewed

Watercooling - custom
Old 22-12-15, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Knowing you were a big fan of the Dell XPS 13, how does the UX305 compare?
Old 22-12-15, 09:58 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatterworth View Post
Both are great laptops. Personally I prefer the XPS looks so if I had to choose i'd go with the XPS. However if on a tight budget I would still be happy with the Zenbook
Old 23-12-15, 09:31 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Very different tbh, the dell has a totally different spec and starts at almost twice the price

Old 23-12-15, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Very different tbh, the dell has a totally different spec and starts at almost twice the price
Gotcha, I think I was looking at the entry level XPS 13, I didn't know how the MY10/MY71 compared to the i3. Thanks for the thoughts in the review versus like you said, a pile of 'lower is better' type graphs!
Old 23-12-15, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Gotcha, I think I was looking at the entry level XPS 13, I didn't know how the MY10/MY71 compared to the i3. Thanks for the thoughts in the review versus like you said, a pile of 'lower is better' type graphs!
Don't know is this helps you but hands on experience for me...

I have the UX305FA (Core M 5y10c) and my brother has the Dell XPS 13 9343 (Core I5 5200U), the rest of the specs are pretty much the same, 256GB SSD, 8GB ram, AC wireless (Intel AC 7265 vs some crappy Dell one), Full HD 1080p... pretty much same specs except the CPU.

Price at the time for purchase for us: $900 for the UX305 and $1400 for the Dell. (In CAD)

Maybe I'm just a heavy user but I've found that the Core M can't even run Youtube @ 1080P 60fps... what a shame.. and good point about the backlit keyboard. Just can't complain about it when it's priced as it is. Also, another major thing is that the hinge on the UX305 was rather flimsy (shaking the ultrabook would move the screen) and the XPS hinge was pretty stiff, but broken in its pretty nice to use.