Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 20-12-15, 01:32 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,302
The release of the Vulkan API is imminent

The release of the Vulkan API is imminent, with version 1.0 coming shortly after the years end.



Read more on the Vulkan API imminent release.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-12-15, 04:16 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,881
Will be a long time before it even shows up in any game though
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-12-15, 08:18 PM
Kleptobot's Avatar
Kleptobot Kleptobot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Will be a long time before it even shows up in any game though
Just curious, are you basing that on anything other than that because we are hearing it now and it usually takes some time before new tech reaches the consumer?

The fact that companies like epic, valve, unity etc have been working on and involved in this and that Gabe N said that it will be "a critical component of SteamOS and future Valve games" i think it'll show up sooner than you might think.

But that's just like my opinion man...
__________________
delided 3570k (watercooled)
hd7970 (watercooled)
8GB Gskill XM
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-12-15, 08:54 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
Just curious, are you basing that on anything other than that because we are hearing it now and it usually takes some time before new tech reaches the consumer?

The fact that companies like epic, valve, unity etc have been working on and involved in this and that Gabe N said that it will be "a critical component of SteamOS and future Valve games" i think it'll show up sooner than you might think.

But that's just like my opinion man...
For a lot of thing like this it is really hard to tell when you are outside of the high game development ecosystem.

Valve has already shown Vulkan working and other developers have already used beta builds of the API.

I think that developers that have already been using Mantle or a different low level API will not have much trouble implementing it, especially Mantle devs given Vulkan's origins.

Intel, Nvidia and AMD have used Vulkan and delivered talks on it and given that fact that it can be used on Linux, Mac OS and Windows it is likely that it will be adopted by developers much faster than DX12, as developers are always looking for ways to expand their market and potential sales.


I remember a Valve software developer, Dan Ginsburg, saying this;

Quote:
Unless you are aggressive enough to be shipping a DX12 game this year, I would argue that there is really not much reason to ever create a DX12 back end for your game
I imagine that Oxide games will jump on this as soon as they can and that former Mantle developers will not have much trouble implementing Vulkan support.

Hopefully performance from the Vulkan API will be similar to that of DX12, as that is the only way I see Vulkan gaining less traction than DX12.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-12-15, 09:54 PM
Kushiro Kushiro is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,188
I wasn't aware that NVidia was going to play ball.. Nice to know.
__________________
i7 5930k 4.7Ghz ~1.34v - Asus X99 Deluxe - G.Skill 32GB 2800mhz 4x8GB - NZXT Switch 810 White Edition - 3x EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti - 2x Samsung 850 2TB - Corsair AX1500i

Watercooling - custom
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-12-15, 08:37 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
I wasn't aware that NVidia was going to play ball.. Nice to know.
I don't think they had much choice really, especially given how popular it has shown to be.

Steam support means Steam machines, and Nvidia have quite a few on offer.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21-12-15, 08:41 AM
Kushiro Kushiro is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,188
TBH it would have been rather childish to not use it in the first place since it would cost them nothing really... Though I guess they do have a record of it.
__________________
i7 5930k 4.7Ghz ~1.34v - Asus X99 Deluxe - G.Skill 32GB 2800mhz 4x8GB - NZXT Switch 810 White Edition - 3x EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti - 2x Samsung 850 2TB - Corsair AX1500i

Watercooling - custom
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-12-15, 08:42 AM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
TBH it would have been rather childish to not use it in the first place since it would cost them nothing really... Though I guess they do have a record of it.
I wouldn't say they're childish, more arrogant.. But yeah, they really don't have much choice.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-12-15, 10:42 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 15,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleptobot View Post
Just curious, are you basing that on anything other than that because we are hearing it now and it usually takes some time before new tech reaches the consumer?

The fact that companies like epic, valve, unity etc have been working on and involved in this and that Gabe N said that it will be "a critical component of SteamOS and future Valve games" i think it'll show up sooner than you might think.

But that's just like my opinion man...
I understand your point, makes sense in a way. However while Steam maybe working on it, it'll be a long while before it even becomes relevant. So yes I am basing it on the fact it'll take a long while before it reaches the consumer, and I mean before it becomes common. One or two games doesn't really count imo for a success. I'm no API engineer or developer(meaning I don't know which is the more powerful etc API) but personally I think Vulkan will probably win out over DX12 simply because it allows for more OS's to be used and a common language across all of them, simplifying the development process some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
I wasn't aware that NVidia was going to play ball.. Nice to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiro View Post
TBH it would have been rather childish to not use it in the first place since it would cost them nothing really... Though I guess they do have a record of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
I wouldn't say they're childish, more arrogant.. But yeah, they really don't have much choice.
Yeah it's a shocker but they would be quite arrogant or even ignorant to ignore it. Not supporting it would be like forgoing support of DX12 on a smaller scale.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22-12-15, 08:24 AM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 7,216
Of course nVidia would support it. Its not AMD branded anymore. It'd be the same with AMD if PhysX became 'freeX' or whatever.
__________________
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 06:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.