Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 11-11-15, 01:50 PM
News Guru

AMD is "confident" that they can return to profitability in 2016

AMD is "confident" that they can return to profitability in 2016 with plans of "winning the graphics battle".

Read more on AMD ambitious plans for 2016.

Old 11-11-15, 04:05 PM
OC3D Crew

That's a pretty lofty goal. Let's be honest, if they could break even, it would be a win for the red team. I would love to see it happen.
AMD R7 1800X-Asus Crosshair VI Hero-16GB GSkill 3200mhz-Corsair HX1000-XSPC Raystorm Copper Edition-Dual D5 Pumps-Corsair Force 3 SSD-Sapphire Fury X2-Corsair 900D-Windows 10 Pro-Dell U3011-Dell 2007FP
Old 11-11-15, 04:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Let's hope so!

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 11-11-15, 05:54 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Should be possible. They only lost about $187m(that's a lot considering they had about $800m in cash before that loss) last year in total so making that up with a new GPU launch should at least make about half that, and then an actual real CPU launch that has a lot of hype around it should be able to make them return a profit. Also helps that there upcoming APUs will be 14nm so in notebooks that should be a huge market they can tap into since they have done horribly there. If they don't make a profit, it'll be a slow and steady withdrawal until someone buys them out after they file for bankruptcy.
Old 12-11-15, 04:25 AM

I hope the Zen CPU will be just as good as Intel's and it's Mobo will finally support PCI-E 3.0...
I just hate all the hype around upcoming products that fails to deliver.
Good luck AMD
Old 12-11-15, 08:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Go mister sales manager.

Watercooling - custom
Old 12-11-15, 02:52 PM

No reason to believe they can't beat Nvidia next year. While they havnt been able to get the upper hand the last couple of generations the margin hasn't been all that large which is impressive seeing as fury was such a radically different design. Zen on the other hand has a pretty big job to do even to get near Intel's offerings. It feels like this is will be a make or break year for AMD
3*140 SR1 Rad
all stuffed in an FD arc midi
Old 12-11-15, 03:50 PM
born in a.....

Surely the only way they'll make significantly large amounts of money would be to build a decent tablet/mobile cpu?

They could definitely stand a chance with GPUs. They've been pretty competitive and nVidia have been resting on their laurels. All they really need to do is to continue to make reliable drivers and the eventual public perception of 'terrible housefires coupled with worse driver support' will go away. Personally they've been the choice for budget builds for some time.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904|240gb+512gb Samsung evo 840| ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 13-11-15, 03:34 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Surely the only way they'll make significantly large amounts of money would be to build a decent tablet/mobile cpu?

They could definitely stand a chance with GPUs. They've been pretty competitive and nVidia have been resting on their laurels. All they really need to do is to continue to make reliable drivers and the eventual public perception of 'terrible housefires coupled with worse driver support' will go away. Personally they've been the choice for budget builds for some time.
This^^^^^^^^^
I think public image is the biggest thing holding them back right now in regards to selling. Whenever you mention AMD to anyone outside of this forum(in my experience at least) they tend to just laugh and say they run as hot as the sun and drivers suck. It's been pretty consistent for a couple years, it's going to be a really hard uphill battle for them to change that image. I think under this new Radeon Graphics Group it should be possible.
Old 13-11-15, 03:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
This^^^^^^^^^
I think public image is the biggest thing holding them back right now in regards to selling. Whenever you mention AMD to anyone outside of this forum(in my experience at least) they tend to just laugh and say they run as hot as the sun and drivers suck. It's been pretty consistent for a couple years, it's going to be a really hard uphill battle for them to change that image. I think under this new Radeon Graphics Group it should be possible.
Maybe they should build solar power arrays and be self sufficient. Or call the next series 'Fusion' (jokes)

Agreed it's all you hear and it's got to be detrimental to the company. It's not impossible though.

Look at Hyundai/LG (Goldstar)/Samsung or any Korean tech for that matter. They came onto the market (in Aus at least) in the mid/late 90s and were absolutely horrible. Poor quality. Tacky No performance. Throwaway cars and cheap video players.

Now they compete with Japaneses manufacturers and they are on par with or better than the Japanese on a lot of occasions. Especially with price. Of course the cycle has gone full circle and now the Chinese techs and car industry are doing the same to Korea.

Long story short. It's not impossible for AMD to rebrand reboot and retake a lot of their market share back.