Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 26-07-15, 01:46 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,292
SanDisk is planning to release 6TB and 8TB SSDs in 2016

SanDisk is planning to release datacentre-class 6TB and 8TB SSDs in 2016.



Read more on Sandisk's 6TB and 8TB SSDs.

__________________
One of these days I'll change my name to Mark Bench
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26-07-15, 02:09 PM
MrKambo's Avatar
MrKambo MrKambo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London blaadd!
Posts: 3,322
Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
See this is progress, but im wondering, can SSD's of such massive capacity maintain such high levels of read and write speeds, or would they be sacrificed in aid of read and write accuracy?

I mean the slowest of SSD's is faster than most HDD's, but when you have something of this capacity, you have to assume people using them would be people like video editors or photoshop gods who would need to use them as scratch drives or even writing gameplay videos or live streams etc etc, and there is nothing worse than dropped frames when filming or creating some kind of content.
__________________
steam|origin|insta:mrkambo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-07-15, 02:33 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,571
I like it, this is what I think everyone is after... a fullout SSD system, with massive capacities in terms of storage.

Myself is very interested in 2-4TB's, but of course... the money is always the one that decides at the end of the day.

But also as MrKambo pointed out above.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-07-15, 05:45 PM
Asen Asen is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
See this is progress, but im wondering, can SSD's of such massive capacity maintain such high levels of read and write speeds, or would they be sacrificed in aid of read and write accuracy?

I mean the slowest of SSD's is faster than most HDD's, but when you have something of this capacity, you have to assume people using them would be people like video editors or photoshop gods who would need to use them as scratch drives or even writing gameplay videos or live streams etc etc, and there is nothing worse than dropped frames when filming or creating some kind of content.
Maybe they use them in raid and they reach the speeds they need. At the end of the day a lower performance SSD to today's standards, is an alien beast compared to the best HDD. It is simply faster, I don't know of an HDD having reads above 200Mb/s, this is pretty low for an SSD.
I was also wondering how low should the prices come for decent size SSDs, because they're still to high. I bought a 2Tb HDD for around 115$, which makes 0.058cents per Gig, that's mindblowing. If I search for an SSD of that price, let's say an Sam EVO 850 that costs 110$, it means that I pay 0.44 cents per Gig, it's around 9 times more. Prices have to drop drasticly if we are willing to see some large SSDs mainstream. It would be great if in 2017 you can buy a 1Tb SSD for 115$.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-07-15, 05:46 PM
Thelosouvlakia's Avatar
Thelosouvlakia Thelosouvlakia is offline
Classy-Fried-Chicken
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Greece
Posts: 2,335
I'll take 4! Time to raid
__________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-07-15, 09:08 PM
MrKambo's Avatar
MrKambo MrKambo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London blaadd!
Posts: 3,322
Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asen View Post
Maybe they use them in raid and they reach the speeds they need. At the end of the day a lower performance SSD to today's standards, is an alien beast compared to the best HDD. It is simply faster, I don't know of an HDD having reads above 200Mb/s, this is pretty low for an SSD.
Yeah RAID could work, but then you have to ask yourself RAID 0 2x8TB SSD, ok they're now fast, but how much does the data loss risk increase by, i mean anyone using RAID 0 as storage solution needs to be spoken with but the risk increases dramatically then!

I wouldn't wanna wake up one morning and my array decided to die over night and i loss someones wedding footage not to mention the 15-20 hours ive put into editing, obviously at that point youll need nightly backups or something, but then it starts to get expensive, does that then negate the need/use of massive SSD's?
__________________
steam|origin|insta:mrkambo
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-07-15, 09:13 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
I wouldn't wanna wake up one morning and my array decided to die over night and i loss someones wedding footage not to mention the 15-20 hours ive put into editing, obviously at that point youll need nightly backups or something, but then it starts to get expensive, does that then negate the need/use of massive SSD's?
Off topic, but how do you do nightly backups?, how does it work?, any guides online or so regarding how to setup and use it etc?... I've always wondered, but never really found something on it, since I have no idea where to look for really.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26-07-15, 09:21 PM
MrKambo's Avatar
MrKambo MrKambo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: London blaadd!
Posts: 3,322
Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Off topic, but how do you do nightly backups?, how does it work?, any guides online or so regarding how to setup and use it etc?... I've always wondered, but never really found something on it, since I have no idea where to look for really.
I use this piece of software which ive setup with very very specific rules to backup my home server which runs RAID 6, the backup device is a external USB3 drive
__________________
steam|origin|insta:mrkambo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27-07-15, 09:34 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,395
If they got a consumer class SSD of even the "small" 4TB drive I'd probably sell all my ssds and buy those launch day
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 09:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.