Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 26-07-15, 01:46 PM
News Guru

SanDisk is planning to release 6TB and 8TB SSDs in 2016

SanDisk is planning to release datacentre-class 6TB and 8TB SSDs in 2016.

Read more on Sandisk's 6TB and 8TB SSDs.

Old 26-07-15, 02:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to MrKambo
See this is progress, but im wondering, can SSD's of such massive capacity maintain such high levels of read and write speeds, or would they be sacrificed in aid of read and write accuracy?

I mean the slowest of SSD's is faster than most HDD's, but when you have something of this capacity, you have to assume people using them would be people like video editors or photoshop gods who would need to use them as scratch drives or even writing gameplay videos or live streams etc etc, and there is nothing worse than dropped frames when filming or creating some kind of content.
Old 26-07-15, 02:33 PM
OC3D Elite

I like it, this is what I think everyone is after... a fullout SSD system, with massive capacities in terms of storage.

Myself is very interested in 2-4TB's, but of course... the money is always the one that decides at the end of the day.

But also as MrKambo pointed out above.
Old 26-07-15, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
See this is progress, but im wondering, can SSD's of such massive capacity maintain such high levels of read and write speeds, or would they be sacrificed in aid of read and write accuracy?

I mean the slowest of SSD's is faster than most HDD's, but when you have something of this capacity, you have to assume people using them would be people like video editors or photoshop gods who would need to use them as scratch drives or even writing gameplay videos or live streams etc etc, and there is nothing worse than dropped frames when filming or creating some kind of content.
Maybe they use them in raid and they reach the speeds they need. At the end of the day a lower performance SSD to today's standards, is an alien beast compared to the best HDD. It is simply faster, I don't know of an HDD having reads above 200Mb/s, this is pretty low for an SSD.
I was also wondering how low should the prices come for decent size SSDs, because they're still to high. I bought a 2Tb HDD for around 115$, which makes 0.058cents per Gig, that's mindblowing. If I search for an SSD of that price, let's say an Sam EVO 850 that costs 110$, it means that I pay 0.44 cents per Gig, it's around 9 times more. Prices have to drop drasticly if we are willing to see some large SSDs mainstream. It would be great if in 2017 you can buy a 1Tb SSD for 115$.
Old 26-07-15, 05:46 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

I'll take 4! Time to raid

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 26-07-15, 09:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asen View Post
Maybe they use them in raid and they reach the speeds they need. At the end of the day a lower performance SSD to today's standards, is an alien beast compared to the best HDD. It is simply faster, I don't know of an HDD having reads above 200Mb/s, this is pretty low for an SSD.
Yeah RAID could work, but then you have to ask yourself RAID 0 2x8TB SSD, ok they're now fast, but how much does the data loss risk increase by, i mean anyone using RAID 0 as storage solution needs to be spoken with but the risk increases dramatically then!

I wouldn't wanna wake up one morning and my array decided to die over night and i loss someones wedding footage not to mention the 15-20 hours ive put into editing, obviously at that point youll need nightly backups or something, but then it starts to get expensive, does that then negate the need/use of massive SSD's?
Old 26-07-15, 09:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKambo View Post
I wouldn't wanna wake up one morning and my array decided to die over night and i loss someones wedding footage not to mention the 15-20 hours ive put into editing, obviously at that point youll need nightly backups or something, but then it starts to get expensive, does that then negate the need/use of massive SSD's?
Off topic, but how do you do nightly backups?, how does it work?, any guides online or so regarding how to setup and use it etc?... I've always wondered, but never really found something on it, since I have no idea where to look for really.
Old 26-07-15, 09:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrazey View Post
Off topic, but how do you do nightly backups?, how does it work?, any guides online or so regarding how to setup and use it etc?... I've always wondered, but never really found something on it, since I have no idea where to look for really.
I use this piece of software which ive setup with very very specific rules to backup my home server which runs RAID 6, the backup device is a external USB3 drive
Old 27-07-15, 09:34 AM
AMD Enthusiast

If they got a consumer class SSD of even the "small" 4TB drive I'd probably sell all my ssds and buy those launch day