Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 10-07-15, 06:30 PM
The Guvnor

ASUS GTX980Ti Strix SLI Review

The latest Strix branded card comes complete with a new Direct CU III cooler. We test it alone and as a pair in SLI.

ASUS GTX980Ti Strix SLI Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 10-07-15, 06:42 PM
too many shrooms

nice review Guv, i'm still not a fan (pun intended) of the new cooler, i much preferred the stealth look of the old Strix cards
Old 10-07-15, 07:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Gigantic PCB, Black and red, rekt GTA V, i'll take 3.

...oh wait, I don't haz moneyz and i'm a massive Keplar whore . Well at least we learnt 4k is legit now.

JR
Old 10-07-15, 07:37 PM
Resident Newb

Good review.

Personally I'd sand the red off the side strip so the light just comes through as white, Remove and paint the other 2 strips black and remove the top red cross and paint it black, To me that would look like sex !

Old 10-07-15, 08:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice Hunter View Post
Personally I'd sand the red off the side strip so the light just comes through as white, Remove and paint the other 2 strips black and remove the top red cross and paint it black, To me that would look like sex !
^This...
Old 10-07-15, 08:55 PM

Good review Tom. I have a pair of MSI 980 Ti Gaming.Through their gaming app, i can control the led. Shame Asus doesn't do that with GPU Tweak.Also i have a Nvidia SLI bridge. With that i can control the bridge/Cards LED's through Nvidia Geforce Experience LED Visualizer.
Old 11-07-15, 04:52 PM
Old N Gold

I've been seeing large temperature discrepancies with the 980ti AIB cards. The reviewers claim the MSI 6G tops out at around 73°C, but those with the card are claiming 80°C or more. And on a more related note, Guru3D's review of Strix 980ti showed 82°C, only a few degrees lower than reference while TTL's showed much, much better temps. Obviously it was a great deal quieter, but still. Also, I recognise that case airflow makes a big difference, but it makes me doubt the testing methods of a lot of reviewers. I prefer TTL's layout of actually using a case. Most are on test benches.
Old 11-07-15, 05:06 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I've been seeing large temperature discrepancies with the 980ti AIB cards. The reviewers claim the MSI 6G tops out at around 73°C, but those with the card are claiming 80°C or more. And on a more related note, Guru3D's review of Strix 980ti showed 82°C, only a few degrees lower than reference while TTL's showed much, much better temps. Obviously it was a great deal quieter, but still. Also, I recognise that case airflow makes a big difference, but it makes me doubt the testing methods of a lot of reviewers. I prefer TTL's layout of actually using a case. Most are on test benches.
You also need to consider some may be testing in summer heat, my tests are always done at 20c

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 11-07-15, 05:08 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
You also need to consider some may be testing in summer heat, my tests are always done at 20c
Yeah, ambient temperatures will definitely play a role, but I haven't noticed it ever making this big of a difference before.
Old 11-07-15, 05:13 PM
OC3D Elite

With modern GPUs I think testing methods need to be looked at again.

There are far too many results on various tech web sites where the cards are CPU bottlenecked @1080p.

I think more testing @2160p with max settings is needed as this will identify the faster cards rather than letting the CPU get in the way.

A good example of this is Valley where it is pointless benching a couple of TXs @1080p as there is no CPU even on LN2 that can keep up. If the resolution is raised to 2160p then you can bench 4 OCed TXs without problems.

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.