Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-06-15, 11:18 AM
News Guru

Samsung Quietly disables Windows Updates on their Laptops

It looks like Samsung are preventing Windows from updating on some of their laptops, by installing a program automatically without the users consent or knowledge. This is unacceptable.

Read more on Samsung Silently disabling Windows Update here.

Old 25-06-15, 11:20 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
It looks like Samsung are preventing Windows from updating on some of their laptops, by installing a program automatically without the users consent or knowledge. This is unacceptable.
Hmm, not if the update breaks their laptop it isn't.

I disable Windows Update now. It really never improves anything as it seems perfectly stable to me and I don't like some of the DRM they install.

Old 25-06-15, 11:25 AM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

[s]Bloody[/s] OEMs and your bloatware and other things!!
One of the reasons Ι don't like laptops.. If I were to buy a laptop I would get those that run freeDOS and install my self-owned retail version of windows

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 25-06-15, 11:28 AM
born in a.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
I disable Windows Update now. It really never improves anything as it seems perfectly stable to me and I don't like some of the DRM they install.
Security innit. Windows 7 also did get a decent boost in performance for certain hardware configs.

Lol, this is a company who stopped selling their laptops in the EU. Their laptops are full of junk and for the most part were overpriced pieces of plastic. Its stupid but then again, the people who depend on updates more aren't going to buy a £800 macbook air copy made out of plastic.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 25-06-15, 11:48 AM

It amazes me that people still buy Samsung products anymore. They are becoming very well known for the amount of bloatware they put on their devices, having things run secretly in the background, and in being very resource hungry without knowing why.
Bitfenix Ghost - Asus Z87-Pro- [email protected] - Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus GTX 770 OC DCII - Seasonic 860Platinum - Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD - Samsung EVO 120GB SSD - WD Black 2TB HDD
Old 25-06-15, 11:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbalaz View Post
It amazes me that people still buy Samsung products anymore. They are becoming very well known for the amount of bloatware they put on their devices, having things run secretly in the background, and in being very resource hungry without knowing why.
This... remember purchasing an Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 and I was usprised of how much of a crap tone of apps it had preinstalled. Like a full 8GB of it were full cause of them ...
Old 26-06-15, 12:24 AM

Disgusting. I hope toshiba is not doing the same, as I have not seen anything running in my task manager. Anyway I might do a format later on just to make sure. Btw question : If I format my laptop and then reinstall windows using a backup that I have made based on the ones that are installed on my laptop, will I get all the bloatware back ? Or is it going to be clean, as if I installed a copy of windows I bought myself ?
Old 26-06-15, 12:58 AM

Do they have a program that they install that will install all the important security and stability updates for windows after they disable windows update? If not then this is enough for me to recommend to everyone that I know to never buy a Samsung computer (do they even make desktops anymore?).
Honestly, one of the biggest signs that you have a serious malware infection is that windows update and/or windows defender has been disabled or not working. How many Samsung laptop users are going to have their computers wiped and reinstalled just because of this stupid program disabling windows update?
Old 26-06-15, 01:36 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Every laptop should get a clean reinstall from the moment you get it. With Windows10 this should become easier as they have that option built in.
Old 26-06-15, 02:48 AM
OC3D Elite

I don't see how some people can stand all the annoying bloatware that comes installed on most notebooks. Clean install every time.

Watercooling - custom