Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 30-04-15, 12:30 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 14,828
Nvidia GTX 980Ti to have 6GB of Memory

It looks like Nvidia's upcoming GTX 980Ti will have 6GB of Memory, but how far will the Titan X be cut down?



You can read more on the GTX 980Ti with 6GB of VRAM here.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-04-15, 12:34 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 12,386
I heard it was going to be called 980 Metal.

Either way I don't think we'll be seeing it until AMD show their hand.
__________________
"Those really high 20 series prices are just place holders"



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30-04-15, 12:47 PM
Doomslayer Doomslayer is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
I heard it was going to be called 980 Metal.

Either way I don't think we'll be seeing it until AMD show their hand.
You could be right
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-04-15, 06:29 PM
kostya70 kostya70 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 9
Nvidia GTX 980Ti - 165W ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30-04-15, 06:59 PM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
Either way I don't think we'll be seeing it until AMD show their hand.
This.

If NVidia had the choice they would sell the new card with as many shaders disabled as possible so they can shift the maximum number of chips that did not make the grade for the Titan X. If the 390X is a very fast card NVidia will not be able to sell cards with a lot of shaders disabled.

If the new card has all the shaders enabled I think NVidia should call it the "Titan Lite" as it will come with 6gb instead of 12gb of VRAM.
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30-04-15, 07:07 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaapstad View Post
This.

If NVidia had the choice they would sell the new card with as many shaders disabled as possible so they can shift the maximum number of chips that did not make the grade for the Titan X. If the 390X is a very fast card NVidia will not be able to sell cards with a lot of shaders disabled.

If the new card has all the shaders enabled I think NVidia should call it the "Titan Lite" as it will come with 6gb instead of 12gb of VRAM.
The card is already being produced.. i guarentee that. It's not just a case of them all of a sudden not lasering the chips and then within a month start selling them. Takes years to design/produce and then months to ship a consumer product. So in the end they will sell it either way.. and Nvidia fanboys will still buy it even if it is the same price as a 390x despite it being slower(based off rumors).

Then AMD will stumble and fall people will blame eachother despite the fact nearly everyone is running Nvidia... That's how i'm viewing the future for AMD this year if this 390x is not a super star.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30-04-15, 09:57 PM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
The card is already being produced.. i guarentee that. It's not just a case of them all of a sudden not lasering the chips and then within a month start selling them. Takes years to design/produce and then months to ship a consumer product. So in the end they will sell it either way.. and Nvidia fanboys will still buy it even if it is the same price as a 390x despite it being slower(based off rumors).

Then AMD will stumble and fall people will blame eachother despite the fact nearly everyone is running Nvidia... That's how i'm viewing the future for AMD this year if this 390x is not a super star.
Deciding how many shaders to have enabled can be done very quickly as it does not change the basic design of the card.

R9 290P and 290X spring to mind here.
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-04-15, 10:30 PM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 4,605
Quote:
The GTX 980Ti will have a stock cooler with the same design as the Titan X
Does this mean just the blower style cooler or the black matt as well?, or will they just use the old titanium blower style cooler design for the 980Ti?...

So the 980Ti name is confirmed then?...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-05-15, 01:14 AM
Luscious's Avatar
Luscious Luscious is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alien Cryogenics Lab, Groom Lake, NV
Posts: 65
nVidia are going to have to do more than just halve the RAM to distinguish the 980Ti, otherwise it will make the Titan X a rather pointless SKU.

My guess is the 980Ti will have the 6GB RAM but ship with 2560 CUDA cores, 160 TMUs and 80 ROPs - essentially Titan X silicon that didn't quite make the cut. I am guessing they will also boost the core clock to sit around 1200 MHz seeing that it's a nerfed GM200 but still has that 250W TDP headroom. Another tweak that nVidia will definitely change is the power delivery, since the Titan X is using molded inductors and 6+2 phase VRM. A 5+1 phase 980Ti could be the compromise.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-05-15, 03:47 AM
Kaapstad's Avatar
Kaapstad Kaapstad is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Skaro visiting family
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luscious View Post
nVidia are going to have to do more than just halve the RAM to distinguish the 980Ti, otherwise it will make the Titan X a rather pointless SKU.

My guess is the 980Ti will have the 6GB RAM but ship with 2560 CUDA cores, 160 TMUs and 80 ROPs - essentially Titan X silicon that didn't quite make the cut. I am guessing they will also boost the core clock to sit around 1200 MHz seeing that it's a nerfed GM200 but still has that 250W TDP headroom. Another tweak that nVidia will definitely change is the power delivery, since the Titan X is using molded inductors and 6+2 phase VRM. A 5+1 phase 980Ti could be the compromise.
The Titan X is a rather pointless SKU unless you want to use them for high resolution work.

At the moment they happen to be the fastest thing @1080p as well but this will change in the next few months when the 390X or other GM200 cards arrive.
__________________
OC3D Overclockers Club Member
#041

GTX 960 owner and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 05:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.