Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 21-01-15, 06:16 PM
Average Penis Too

Microsoft Announces Windows 10 Will Be Free Upgrade

During the Windows 10 Media Briefing, which is live now, Microsoft has announced great news existing for current Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users: they'll get updated to Windows 10. For free.

Read more on the Free Windows 10 Upgrade.

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 21-01-15, 06:19 PM
AMD Enthusiast

So this means every single device right? Mainly the surface products? My mom has one and i'm sure should would like it better with W10.

Also if you have an OEM key and you upgrade to W10.. is it like a brand new non oem install or??? Just curious
Old 21-01-15, 06:25 PM
Average Penis Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
So this means every single device right? Mainly the surface products? My mom has one and i'm sure should would like it better with W10.

Also if you have an OEM key and you upgrade to W10.. is it like a brand new non oem install or??? Just curious
Microsoft only mentioned Windows (Phone) 8.1 and Windows 7. I think you can't upgrade your key to Windows 10. It has to be installed on a system I think, as it'll probably go OTA in the Windows Store, just like Windows 8.1

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 21-01-15, 06:27 PM

Any idea if this is retail copies only or does it cover OEM Windows7/8.1 too?

Missed that this was asked up above as well ^^.

Old 21-01-15, 06:28 PM
too many shrooms

why is windows 8 left out more to the point? people still have windows 8 keys
Old 21-01-15, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
why is windows 8 left out more to the point? people still have windows 8 keys
Isn't everyone on Windows 8 allowed to upgrade to 8.1? I'd bet that there is no upgrade from 8 -> 10, you'd have to install 8.1 first.

Old 21-01-15, 06:34 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
Microsoft only mentioned Windows (Phone) 8.1 and Windows 7. I think you can't upgrade your key to Windows 10. It has to be installed on a system I think, as it'll probably go OTA in the Windows Store, just like Windows 8.1
But win7 doesn't have a store, how would that work?.. i'd rather have a full new install on a new OS tbh rather than install on top of an exisiting one
Old 21-01-15, 06:35 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
From what I have heard (not certain if I am allowed to reveal this or not, but I not been told otherwise ), it will be like the usual new machine upgrades, you go to a web address, fill in your information and login with you Microsoft Account, and download a piece of software that checks you Windows key, hardware and software, and then you get the OTA upgrade like normal, and like the Windows 8.x Upgrades when it was first released, you will get to download and install, or download and create installation media, and will also be e-mailed your sparkly shiny new Windows 10 key, but this is still not 100% confirmed as of yet but has been listed as the main option for the upgrade distribution for it.
Old 21-01-15, 06:37 PM
too many shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
Isn't everyone on Windows 8 allowed to upgrade to 8.1? I'd bet that there is no upgrade from 8 -> 10, you'd have to install 8.1 first.
yeah but not a fresh install upgrade, you have to mod a windows 8.1 install for that, an i for one prefer a fresh install
Old 21-01-15, 06:37 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

YAY I'm getting win10 for freeeeeeeee (Win7 user)
I actually got win7 for free too, lol :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why