Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 20-01-15, 01:41 PM
AverageNinja's Avatar
AverageNinja AverageNinja is offline
Average Penis Too
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,251
AMD Developing Trinidad GPU To Replace Pitcairn

AMD's Pitcairn has been around for quite a while now, so it can be said that its due an upgrade, and it seems AMD will be doing just that. The Californian company is supposedly working on Pitcairn's successor, which will be codenamed 'Trinidad'.



Read more on AMD's Trinidad GPU.

__________________
JavaBean: Ryzen 5 1600 / Corsair ML240L RGB / ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero / 16GB Corsair LPX / ASUS RX 580 Strix / Corsair RM750X / Fractal Design Meshify C

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20-01-15, 04:06 PM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 7,216
I disagree with "amd making it easy for Nvidia in the mid range market".

The 760 is the same price as a 280 and 285, which is a faster card. The 270x, which is the 760's competitor is slightly slower than it, but not worth the extra cash between the two in terms of performance.

Don't get me started on the 280x vs 770 either.

AMD have a chance against the 960 I reckon. The 960 doesn't seem all that impressive so far.
__________________
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-01-15, 06:23 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I disagree with "amd making it easy for Nvidia in the mid range market".

The 760 is the same price as a 280 and 285, which is a faster card. The 270x, which is the 760's competitor is slightly slower than it, but not worth the extra cash between the two in terms of performance.

Don't get me started on the 280x vs 770 either.

AMD have a chance against the 960 I reckon. The 960 doesn't seem all that impressive so far.
I disagree with that statement to.. You're supposed to be objective Ninja!

the midrange cards were scewed.. 280/285 were faster than the 760 and same price(in the US). 270x was usually far cheaper than a 760 and if you spent anymore money you might as well gotten a 280/280x.

Also agree with 280x vs 770.. they performed the same and 280x was cheaper.. :P

Also.. to all those in that other thread where i said they would be announcing GPUs soon.. told you so!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-01-15, 06:25 PM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Also.. to all those in that other thread where i said they would be announcing GPUs soon.. told you so!
But technically that was about the higher end stuff, not a 270x replacement
__________________
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-01-15, 05:22 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
But technically that was about the higher end stuff, not a 270x replacement
Technically yes.. never specifically stated however! I did say they would announce new cards soon.. lo and behold!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-01-15, 07:12 AM
AverageNinja's Avatar
AverageNinja AverageNinja is offline
Average Penis Too
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
I disagree with "amd making it easy for Nvidia in the mid range market".

The 760 is the same price as a 280 and 285, which is a faster card. The 270x, which is the 760's competitor is slightly slower than it, but not worth the extra cash between the two in terms of performance.

Don't get me started on the 280x vs 770 either.

AMD have a chance against the 960 I reckon. The 960 doesn't seem all that impressive so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
I disagree with that statement to.. You're supposed to be objective Ninja!

the midrange cards were scewed.. 280/285 were faster than the 760 and same price(in the US). 270x was usually far cheaper than a 760 and if you spent anymore money you might as well gotten a 280/280x.

Also agree with 280x vs 770.. they performed the same and 280x was cheaper.. :P

Also.. to all those in that other thread where i said they would be announcing GPUs soon.. told you so!
Aye, I guess I shouldn't have been so vague. Performance wise AMD's are on-par with the Nvidia cards. It's just the power consumption and the heat that's a deal killer for me personally. I really hope Trinidad will fix that.

I agree though, I should've been more objective. I'll avoid picking sides in the future! I'm new to hardware news, with gaming news it was a bit easier
__________________
JavaBean: Ryzen 5 1600 / Corsair ML240L RGB / ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero / 16GB Corsair LPX / ASUS RX 580 Strix / Corsair RM750X / Fractal Design Meshify C

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21-01-15, 08:04 AM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
Aye, I guess I shouldn't have been so vague. Performance wise AMD's are on-par with the Nvidia cards. It's just the power consumption and the heat that's a deal killer for me personally. I really hope Trinidad will fix that.

I agree though, I should've been more objective. I'll avoid picking sides in the future! I'm new to hardware news, with gaming news it was a bit easier
You'll get better at it bud. Don't sweat!

If the 285 was any indication of the advancements in power consumption, then these new cards should be much better, plus with the added time they have had it should be even better than before. We will see!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-01-15, 08:08 AM
MadShadow MadShadow is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: St Andrews, Scotland
Posts: 3,282
I wonder why of all things they would call it "Trinidad"

I used to live there and its not the nicest place in the world
__________________
|i5 4460|8GB RAM|R9 380 4GB|ASUS Z97-I Plus|WD Blue 1TB|Corsair RM650|Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX|


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-01-15, 07:04 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Middle-Earth
Posts: 15,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadShadow View Post
I wonder why of all things they would call it "Trinidad"

I used to live there and its not the nicest place in the world
Just easiest to name something that already has a name then create a new one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
amd gpus, islands, pitcairn, trinidad, video cards

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 01:36 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.