Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-12-14, 10:25 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is online now
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 15,482
A tablet with Terabytes of storage space.

Meet the UbuTab - An Ubuntu powered tablet with Terabytes of storage space.



Join the discussion on the 1TB UbuTab here.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-14, 02:10 PM
Joao611 Joao611 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 7
Very good idea, but I really need to know the price (or an estimation, at least) before forming an opinion on its worthyness. Also have to know if the HDD will make it vibrate too much or not.

And on the specs you listed... "Quad-Core GPU"? You sure about that one? :P
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-14, 02:14 PM
KING_OF_SAND's Avatar
KING_OF_SAND KING_OF_SAND is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao611 View Post
Very good idea, but I really need to know the price (or an estimation, at least) before forming an opinion on its worthyness. Also have to know if the HDD will make it vibrate too much or not.

And on the specs you listed... "Quad-Core GPU"? You sure about that one? :P
Quad core GPU in tablets and phones is not that uncommon any more.
__________________
AMD rig 2013



Intel rig 2014

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-14, 02:41 PM
Joao611 Joao611 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_OF_SAND View Post
Quad core GPU in tablets and phones is not that uncommon any more.
I know about the quad-core CPU's (which this tablet has), but GPU? Last time I checked, the number of cores of a GPU should be lots of times higher than "4" to be anywhere near decent for basic tasks. Unless "GPU core" actually means something else for them?

EDIT: I checked ARM's website, I think I'll just have to go research myself on their GPU architecture. Eh. Nevermind, then.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-14, 02:53 PM
KING_OF_SAND's Avatar
KING_OF_SAND KING_OF_SAND is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joao611 View Post
I know about the quad-core CPU's (which this tablet has), but GPU? Last time I checked, the number of cores of a GPU should be lots of times higher than "4" to be anywhere near decent for basic tasks. Unless "GPU core" actually means something else for them?

EDIT: I checked ARM's website, I think I'll just have to go research myself on their GPU architecture. Eh. Nevermind, then.
They are much different. Hell the Tegra 4 has 72 GPU cores.
__________________
AMD rig 2013



Intel rig 2014

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-14, 06:19 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,011
Besides they don't need that many cores. They have thermal and energy criteria they have to meet. Mobile/tablet devices rely more on optimization to get the most out of it anyways to make everything run smoothly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-14, 07:06 PM
Master&Puppet's Avatar
Master&Puppet Master&Puppet is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: London
Posts: 2,055
Most interesting thing for me is the use of Ubuntu. I've been waiting for years to get Ubuntu OS on tablets and phones. Looks like it is happening... Slowly.

1TB is an interesting angle to go for but I'm surprised they didn't start off with a competitive tablet that compares to the rest of the market to begin with. Must be a reason.
__________________
Ivy Bridge Overclocking
Overclocking pt2-LLC & Vdroop

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #006 (Alec Trevelyan was always harder than Bond anyway)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-14, 07:23 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is online now
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master&Puppet View Post
Most interesting thing for me is the use of Ubuntu. I've been waiting for years to get Ubuntu OS on tablets and phones. Looks like it is happening... Slowly.

1TB is an interesting angle to go for but I'm surprised they didn't start off with a competitive tablet that compares to the rest of the market to begin with. Must be a reason.
I wouldn't be surprised if its just a slightly different PC version tbh. Considering how little hardware it takes to run. If its a smaller version of the PC the 1TB of data is actually useful.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-14, 07:58 PM
iBeInspire iBeInspire is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Dirty North of London
Posts: 1,314
What impresses me more than any specs is the lack of bezels around the screen, I think it looks awesome
__________________
/|i5 4690k @4.6Ghz @1.315v /|\ Asus Z97-AR /|\ 8Gb G.Skill RipjawsX /|\ Asus GTX970 Strix |\
/|TX550m /|\ Samsung 840 Pro |\
/|Asus Essence STU /|\ Hifiman HE-400S /|\ AKG K551|\
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-14, 08:42 PM
yassarikhan786's Avatar
yassarikhan786 yassarikhan786 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 8,899
I've used Ubuntu a little bit and I have to say it's quite a good experience. I think it would translate quite well on a touch interface.
__________________
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + HP w1907v

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 04:24 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.