Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 06-10-14, 11:23 AM
News Guru

Steam Ask Users to Label Sponsored Content

Steam want full disclosure when it comes to sponsored content on their new Curation System.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...ored_content/1

Old 06-10-14, 11:48 AM
OC3D Elite

Seems only fair to be honest, some reviewers could recommend a game that is actually extremely poor and has some serious issues and flaws, but because they have been paid to review it then they might not want to say the truth about it.

I know with the likes of Hardware Reviews you get that happening, but atleast with OC3D you always, get a none biased review whether it is by a staff member or member, even if it comes in White.
Old 06-10-14, 12:53 PM

this is totally Turtlebiscuits doing
Old 06-10-14, 01:03 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Seems only fair to be honest, some reviewers could recommend a game that is actually extremely poor and has some serious issues and flaws, but because they have been paid to review it then they might not want to say the truth about it.

I know with the likes of Hardware Reviews you get that happening, but atleast with OC3D you always, get a none biased review whether it is by a staff member or member, even if it comes in White.
Understandable really especially after last year when Steam pulled quite a few Greenlight games after they were caught reviewing their own products and giving full thumbs up ratings.
Old 06-10-14, 03:17 PM
OC3D Elite

the more i think about it the better this oc3d recommendations is.
we are all independent, not paid, have no vested interest in the franchise, and so will only recommend games we think deserve it.

one of the issues i have with review sites is many of them will gloss over points that really should be mentioned because not glossing over them can lead to them being denied review samples in the future.
tech radar for example seem to be glossing over anything apple simply because since "bendgate" if any one says anything derogatory about apple phones then apple will no longer supply them with samples or information..

it has to be the same for many other websites and review pages..
So i have to generally wait for the games to be full release and then read reviews that come form people who actually paid for them..
If you were given the game for free and hope to get given another one for free at a later date then that will probably sway your opinion slightly.

the good thing about toms reviews is they are so indepth that even if he was to gloss over something "which i really have not seen him do" you would usually be able to come out with the correct conclusion regardless just by how much you get to see and the time spent on each aspect of the object..

So some people are good with reviews that are sponsored or the product was supplied for review.
but others like tech radar really do sell out just to ensure they keep the mfr/dev on side.
Old 06-10-14, 03:23 PM

The reason Steam want it done is because it is actually a law in both the United States and in Europe. It isn't because of random YouTubers or because Steam are being proactive.

For instance, see here: http://www.business.ftc.gov/document...ple-are-asking or the rules overseen by the FCA in the UK.
Old 06-10-14, 03:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to WillSK
I think this is a great step forward.

As shambles said it's what makes things like forums and "OC3D recommends" so good. Take Shadow of Mordor for example. I had absolutely no intention of buying that game but having seen the discussion about it here and the decent chatter about it across the web I decided to give it a go and i'm loving it!
My Rig : Fractal S2 Case, ASUS RoG Gene VIII, Intel i5 6600K 4.5Ghz, Corsair H115i Platinum, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO, 32 Gb Team Pro Dark RAM 3200Mhz, Kingston Hyper X Fury 480GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 500GB SSD, Corsair AX760w
Old 06-10-14, 04:51 PM

Weather it's forced or not, this is good for the players. A company gains more respect from me when they do things like this that show they aren't only avoiding manipulation for their own gain, but going above and beyond by possible hurting their bottom line to make sure MY experience is honest and reliable.

Cheers Valve.
Old 06-10-14, 08:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Does that include if you are shagging the game maker, or just if they paid you?
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 06-10-14, 08:56 PM
Banned

Steam has been in so many court battles because they are basically unscrupulous and have very low morals. I stay away from their games. They got sued by Australia recently because they don't give refunds even if a game is of poor quality and that's not allowed in Australia. I have been forced to do charge-backs on them for selling sub par games and refusing a refund. Consumers do not have to put up with that.
This is just the latest battle they have lost.