Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-08-14, 03:02 PM
News Guru

All AMD GCN GPUs support DX12

At the company's 30 Years of Graphics event, AMD disclosed that all AMD GPUs based on the GCN architecture will support DirectX 12, Microsoft's next generation multimedia API.

Read more on AMD's compatibility with DirectX 12 here

Old 25-08-14, 03:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Is mantle going to die now? Why would developers develop for mantle if they can just do DX12 and hit two birds with one stone?

Old 25-08-14, 03:10 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Is mantle going to die now? Why would developers develop for mantle if they can just do DX12 and hit two birds with one stone?
Mantle has a lead on DX 12, we won't see DX 12 games until the end of next year.

And there is a good likelihood that a Mantle will come to Linux, which direct X will not.
Old 25-08-14, 03:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
Mantle has a lead on DX 12, we won't see DX 12 games until the end of next year.

And there is a good likelihood that a Mantle will come to Linux, which direct X will not.
That's a good point, but when/if the day comes that DX12/13 offers benefits like mantle and works with all platforms, it wont be a great situation for mantle. Its cool that AMD support both mantle and DX12, but I don't really see it as the best business move ever.

Old 25-08-14, 03:18 PM

So i am new to PC building and i a decent budget and i was thinking of getting corsair 300r with some LED lights and and z97 asus maximus 7 hero with a 4790k and corsair power supply with a samsung ssd and barracuda 1tb hardrive with 8 gb of hyper x ram and for the graphics card i was thinking saphire r9 290, one for now and curretn games and then i could pick up another one later on for crossfire when more demanding games come out in the future like star citizen. What do you guys think or suggest?
Old 25-08-14, 03:18 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Its cool that AMD support both mantle and DX12, but I don't really see it as the best business move ever.
AMD NEED to support DirectX 12, they would simply lose the ability to play too many games if they didn't.
Old 25-08-14, 03:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke0222 View Post
So i am new to PC building and i a decent budget and i was thinking of getting corsair 300r with some LED lights and and z97 asus maximus 7 hero with a 4790k and corsair power supply with a samsung ssd and barracuda 1tb hardrive with 8 gb of hyper x ram and for the graphics card i was thinking saphire r9 290, one for now and curretn games and then i could pick up another one later on for crossfire when more demanding games come out in the future like star citizen. What do you guys think or suggest?
I suggest you make a thread in the build advise sub-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsyerproblem View Post
AMD NEED to support DirectX 12, they would simply lose the ability to play too many games if they didn't.
I didn't think about that. I guess you are right.

Okay so once DX12 is out and it provides benefits like mantle, the only reason to develop for mantle would be for support for platforms like Linux with an AMD GPU. That's a pretty small market as far as I'm aware. I wonder if developers would develop for mantle or just take the easy way out and go for OpenGL which has support from AMD and Nvidia and supports Linux, right?

Old 25-08-14, 03:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
That's a good point, but when/if the day comes that DX12/13 offers benefits like mantle and works with all platforms, it wont be a great situation for mantle. Its cool that AMD support both mantle and DX12, but I don't really see it as the best business move ever.

directx will never be available to anything other than MS os's. its Microsoft's only real leverage to make you buy the OS.
If it wasnt for direct x being MS only Most people here would probably be running linux and im sure they would have made distros that even a newbie could use if such an exodus of MS users ever wanted to use linux, because it became a viable gaming platform (look at steam os for instance)
MS would be in a really bad position if that happened..
they don't have enough market share any where else "IMO" to be able to wave good bye to their bread and butter.

mantel or an improved open gl is our best bet for a more level playing field when it comes to OS choices.
open Gl is just a mess though. developers do not want to program for open gl any more due to all the years of added code and stupid programing rules, open gl would need a complete over haul and clean up for it to be viable.. which is a shame because really it has always had low level hardware access which is what mantle and dx12 are claiming is so great about their new api's..
having said that dx 12 will also come with more work. previous direct x api's would do a lot of work for you releasing resources and so on automatically. this however slowed it down a bit and made it a bit less efficient.. with direct x 12 they stripped all that out so programers will have to make sure that they have it using and releasing things as and when needed which will be extra work. and possibly make it more like open gl. I dont know much about mantels usage of resources though or how you would go about allocating them or if it releases them its self /you have to code it specifically to release them..

The main problem with mantel IMO is amd wouldn't let any one have a look at it when they asked for access to it to start it. even though they claimed it was open source. nvidia and intel asked and were denied. Which is not a great move.. i have a feeling if amd had just let them have a look at it when they asked then it would have had more support, but i guess "and i don't know" that amd wanted to do more work on it so it worked better when they let them look at it "or even make sure it worked the best it could with their own hardware". but if they had shared it when asked then every one could have had a look at it and made it work better for everything.

mantel could well end up a bit like 3dnow and end up being amd specific but cross platform. this could at least let Some games work on linux/macs and so on. but then it would be a small selection. i dont see game devs coding for 2 or more api's as a default. the only way it would have a chance is if the xbox and play station used mantel as its api. but we already know the xbox will be dx 12. which just further limits mantels scope.
Old 25-08-14, 05:32 PM
OC3D Elite

How do I get dx12 to work on my R9 270x or is it just a software update?
Old 25-08-14, 05:36 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocent159 View Post
How do I get dx12 to work on my R9 270x or is it just a software update?
It will be a driver update whenever DX12 is released.