Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 07-08-14, 03:49 PM
News Guru

ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Crossblade Ranger

ROG's first AMD FM2+ motherboard is equipped with core game-boosting features including Intel Gigabit Ethernet, GameFirst III, LANGuard and many more.

Read more about the ROG FM2+ Crossblade Ranger here

I know I have reported on this earlier in the year guys, but full specs are now here etc. The 2666MHz ram speeds could be interesting, would be great to see numbers on this, but I'm doubtful many will try it.

Old 07-08-14, 04:41 PM
Bettyswollocks

What what what.... eye eye fishy pie! Asus?, ROG?, Motherboard?, FM2+?... has the world gone mad, have I just awoken from a very deep sleep. I'm at a loss for words really, I never thought I'd see team red get some ROG attention, I need to see numbers now and settings and maybe some booby.
Old 07-08-14, 04:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
What what what.... eye eye fishy pie! Asus?, ROG?, Motherboard?, FM2+?... has the world gone mad, have I just awoken from a very deep sleep. I'm at a loss for words really, I never thought I'd see team red get some ROG attention, I need to see numbers now and settings and maybe some booby.
Asus wants the moneys

Old 07-08-14, 04:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddenShadow View Post
Asus wants the moneys
I read 'monkeys' at first.
Asus wants the monkeys.

Anyway, I don't really see the point in expensive FM2 gaming boards tbh. In my opinion, there are two reasons for going FM2:
- You are on a tight budget and want a gaming rig, so you pick up an Athlon (like the 750/760k). You then pair it up with a low-end to mid-range GPU.
- You want an APU build, which are usually used for HTPCs but also as very, very low budget 'gaming' machines, with the option of adding a very low-end GPU in later for CrossfireX.

In the first case, if you're on a tight budget, why would you spend more on a motherboard than on the CPU? And with a CPU like that you really don't want to be running any type of SLI/CrossfireX set up either. You'd be better off putting that money towards an 8320/i5 with low-end board or put it towards a better GPU.

In case of the second scenario; ATX boards aren't exactly great for HTPC builds. An APU + dedicated GPU is still weak for serious gaming and there is no reason at all to buy an APU when you're getting a proper video card anyway.

Can anyone please enlighten me with a scenario in which the purchase of an FM2 gaming board would be a good idea (serious question)?

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 07-08-14, 04:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I read 'monkeys' at first.
Asus wants the monkeys.
Im cool with that. It'd probably be good advertisment.

Old 07-08-14, 05:25 PM
Suspended By Request of Police

FM2+ and republic of gamers expensive motherboard dont go well togeather
Old 07-08-14, 05:26 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Everyone read monkeys apparently (me too :P)
A friend pointed out the naming sceme that goes on AMD sockets
AM3+ CROSShair
FM2+ CROSSblade
If ASUS was to make a cinematic about AMD products they would name it "The CROSSing"

Anyway, let's see if this motherboard can achieve some gobsmacking OC on that new Athlon CPU that's coming out soon
Old 08-08-14, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

I think FM2+ ROG motherboard is just an answer to Gigabyte's G1 Sniper A88X and MSI's Gaming A88 boards. They want to have a copetitor in this segment too...

I think these boards are really good for those who just want to play online games. These are supplied with better integrated audio, and enhanced networking sollutions like Killer 2100 or 2200 controllers.

For those who want to build a graphics monster gamingrig they will go on 1050 or 2011 boards or maybe AM3+.
Intel i7-5930K/\Gigabyte X99-UD7 WiFi/\Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-2666MHz 16GB kit CL13/\2× Gigabyte R9-290X 4GB DDR5 + EKWB Full Cover + Blackplate/\Samsung SP961 m.2 1TB SSD/\WD Green 3TB/\3×WD 2TB Caviar Green/\2×Seagae Barracuda 1TB 7200.10/\Corsair AX1200i/\XSPC H2O 750 with Alpha Cool 240mm RAD + EK Waterblocks XT240 rad + EK Supreme HF + EKWB 290X FullCover block + Hardtubes.

Old 08-08-14, 11:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Can anyone please enlighten me with a scenario in which the purchase of an FM2 gaming board would be a good idea (serious question)?
So little kids can feel like they have sick rigs. IT SAYS GAMING M8, IT MUST BE THE BEST. I LOVE MINECRAFT WHOOOOOOOO.
Old 08-08-14, 11:57 AM
News Guru

Quote:
Budget users who want to have a high class looking product. I can see people buying this and overclocking the balls of a Athlon 860K. Looks just as great as a higher end ROG with a 4790K, at a fraction of the cost.

Not everybody can afford a i5 K-series processor or higher.