Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 18-05-13, 08:59 AM
OC3D Crew

[Project] Copperhead

I've had this case for a while now and finally decided to use it.
This build will have copper pipe running through it instead of the 'standard' tubing. I have also got parts for a remote controller RGB lighting system.

Hardware

i7 3930k
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z with Arctic RC coolers
Zotac GTX 680 4GB
Corsair HX1000

Stock Case

CF Wrapping

Wrapping (and spraying) Complete

Reservoir and Pump

Fittings

RGB Controller

Mayhems

Copper Pipe

Configuration Option 1

Need some advice on radiators for my system.
I am going to cool my i7 3930k, and the GPU (7970 or GTX 590 plus GTX 580) and possibly the motherboard down the track.
At the moment I am thinking of just using the HWLabs Black Ice SR1 420mm but I also have a bunch of other radiators (in the garage) which I can add; HWLabs Black Ice Stealth 360, HWLabs Black Ice Stealth 240, XSPC RX240, and Swiftech MCRx20-XP 120
Would I be fine with the single 420 rad or should I add extra?

P.S. Sorry for the large chunk of pictures uploaded. I was working on this and didn't end up posting the build log until now.

i7 3930k, Rampage IV Extreme, GTX680 4GB, 16GB Ripjaws Z

Nuclear Fission
Nuclear Poison
Copperhead
Old 20-05-13, 09:27 PM
OC3D Crew

Always good to see another build using copper rather than plastic tubing.

I can't answer your question regarding radiators, but I always work on the premise that more is better! Don't worry about lots of pictures, more the better really.

I'll give you a tip when working with copper tubing - push-fits are better as you can just push them in (obviously doh) but compression fittings will be a pain when it comes time to connect. Spanners etc, and the risk of slipping. Also, plan the routing carefully - copper doesn't flex anywhere near as much as the plastic tubing so it can be difficult to get them in place with your hardware.

By the way, good job on straightening out that copper tube!
Old 20-05-13, 10:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeper250 View Post
Need some advice on radiators for my system.
I am going to cool my i7 3930k, and the GPU (7970 or GTX 590 plus GTX 580) and possibly the motherboard down the track.
At the moment I am thinking of just using the HWLabs Black Ice SR1 420mm but I also have a bunch of other radiators (in the garage) which I can add; HWLabs Black Ice Stealth 360, HWLabs Black Ice Stealth 240, XSPC RX240, and Swiftech MCRx20-XP 120
Would I be fine with the single 420 rad or should I add extra?

P.S. Sorry for the large chunk of pictures uploaded. I was working on this and didn't end up posting the build log until now.
If you have the space for an extra rad and can make it look nice and tidy I don't think it
would be a bad idea.

But: I remember Linus doing a build with 2 x 590's and 1 x 990x with one 480 radiator (I
think). I don't know how high the fans were on that, but from the video the rig did not seem
all that loud, and he got pretty decent temps IIRC.

One 420 is about equivalent to one 480, so I think it would probably be feasible. Personally,
I'm a stickler for low noise, so I'd probably go for more radiators though. If you already have
the radiators, maybe you could put the loop together provisionally with some plastic tubing
and to some tests to see if you have to turn the fans up too much to get good temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterae View Post
Always good to see another build using copper rather than plastic tubing.
for that!

Quote:
Don't worry about lots of pictures, more the better really.
Also for that!
Old 21-05-13, 04:16 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
I'll give you a tip when working with copper tubing - push-fits are better as you can just push them in (obviously doh) but compression fittings will be a pain when it comes time to connect. Spanners etc, and the risk of slipping. Also, plan the routing carefully - copper doesn't flex anywhere near as much as the plastic tubing so it can be difficult to get them in place with your hardware.

By the way, good job on straightening out that copper tube!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenwasser View Post
If you have the space for an extra rad and can make it look nice and tidy I don't think it would be a bad idea.

But: I remember Linus doing a build with 2 x 590's and 1 x 990x with one 480 radiator (I think). I don't know how high the fans were on that, but from the video the rig did not seem all that loud, and he got pretty decent temps IIRC.

One 420 is about equivalent to one 480, so I think it would probably be feasible. Personally, I'm a stickler for low noise, so I'd probably go for more radiators though. If you already have the radiators, maybe you could put the loop together provisionally with some plastic tubing and to some tests to see if you have to turn the fans up too much to get good temps?
Thanks for the feedback. If a build isn't quiet I'm not satisfied with it so I think I'll add the RX240 to the loop with the SR1 420. Both are thick rads with low FPI so it should be very quiet.

I am planning on using copper for all the visible sections (above the mid-plate), then standard tubing with compressions below the mid-plate for added flexibility.

It is a good idea about setting it up temporarily with standard tubing to test temperatures though.

Not sure if I should put the XSPC Raystorm CPU block in there or get something else.

i7 3930k, Rampage IV Extreme, GTX680 4GB, 16GB Ripjaws Z

Nuclear Fission
Nuclear Poison
Copperhead
Old 21-05-13, 04:32 AM
OC3D Crew

GPU-wise I would just stick with the 7970 honestly. Less mess, less tubing, and probably better performance since running the other card as a physX card (I imagine that would have been the configuration?) would be minimally beneficial overall and just require more energy than is needed.

LOVE the look of this chassis as well. Simple, smooth and functional. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out!

Corsair Graphite 760T : Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 : FX 8350 @ 4.7 GHz : 8 GB Vengeance LP Low Voltage memory @ 2133 MHz : PowerColor AXR9 280X (1100 MHZ core, 1600 MHz mem) : Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB SSD : Cooler Master Glacer 240L : Fractal Design Newton 800W PSU : NZXT Sentry 3 Fan Speed Controller
Old 21-05-13, 10:04 AM
The Webmaster

Really, REALLY like how that case turned out.. nice work.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 21-05-13, 10:21 AM
OC3D Elite

I think you've got a nice mix between the amount of vinyl & paint. Are you going to polish the copper piping? I'm really interested to see how this turns out as well.

Old 21-05-13, 10:23 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
Really, REALLY like how that case turned out.. nice work.
Agree, I love what you've done to it!

Can't wait to see how this build turns out

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 21-05-13, 10:39 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. If a build isn't quiet I'm not satisfied with it so I think I'll add the RX240 to the loop with the SR1 420. Both are thick rads with low FPI so it should be very quiet.
That sounds pretty reasonable I'd say.

Quote:
Not sure if I should put the XSPC Raystorm CPU block in there or get something else.
Temp differences between CPU blocks are pretty small these days, although differences in
flow resistance are a bit higher. In the end I'd say go with the block you like the best based
on looks (I would recommend reading a review or two about your choice just to avoid any
major pitfalls though).

Personally I rather like the Raystorm (bought myself two copper ones for my SR-2 build), but
there's lots of other good choices out there (Aquacomputer's Kryos for example).
Old 21-05-13, 01:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
Lian Li take note. This is how your cases should be looking when people open the box.