Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 06-08-12, 06:47 AM
OC3D Crew

Project: MATX Water Cooling

Hello guys and gals. I have been researching water cooling for some time now. I have asked some questions on what the best components are among other things. I have been piecing together some components and finally have everything I need to get started. Here is my list of components.
-XSPX Raystorm CPU water block
-XSPC EX240 radiator
-2 Corsair SP120 fans
-Bitspower Multi Res 150
-Swiftech MCP35B Pump
-Bitspower 3/8 ID 1/2 OD Shiny Silver compression fittings
-Bitspower 45 and 90 degree rotary fittings, extensions and other miscellaneous fittings.
-Black 3/8 ID 12 OD tubing
-Silver Kill Coil
-Distilled Water

I started off by running a test on pump because I bought this used so I wanted to be sure that the pump actually worked. I assembled a simple test loop with the res and pump. During the pump test I discovered a leak on hte cap of the res. I posted another thread about my leaking Bitspower Cap here:http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=45387

I made a short video of the leak test here: http://www.youtube.com/user/PirateMods?feature=mhee

I have not decided on the case I want to use for this build and have narrowed my choice to either an NZXT Phantom 410 or a CM Storm Trooper.

I have not purchased the case yet but that does not mean I cannot do a little experimenting.

I have an Inwin Dragon Slayer case I have considered trying to mod it to accept some water cooling components.

First thing I needed to do was make some room inside the case so I could fit the EX240. I drilled out the upper 5.25/3.5 drive cage.

Time for a test fit.

I used some standoffs to push the Rad away from the front panel to allow more air to the fans.

The difficult part is figuring out how I will get everything else in such a tight space. I devised a nice little all in one type unit that can easily be removed as an entire assembly. The res is mounted to the rad via a bitspower mounting bracket. the pump is connected to the res using a 50mm extension, a Bitspower Dual G1/4" High Flow Fitting - Male to Male Thread, and a Bitspower G 1/4" Silver Shiny Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter. Coming out of the pump I have a triple rotary 90 Degree which goes straight up the back side of the res and into the rad.

More to come.

Old 06-08-12, 07:23 AM
OC3D Crew

good luck with ur first watercooled build m8
I know that it's temporary but won't that res be heated by the res heat?

I'm a player Not a payer
I'm a Greek not a geek
Old 06-08-12, 04:13 PM
OC3D Crew

Here is an update.
Pic of the Raystorm on my 775 motherboard. This is just temporary until I get my new motherboard and CPU.

I installed the motherboard and got everything tubed up.

The GPU is next up. I was a little worried that it would not fit.

Very close but it fits.

Here is a shot of the system filled with water. I ran a leak check over night and there were no leaks.

I am glad I decided to test the pump early and found the leaking cap. It would have been a disaster if I got everything in the system and then discovered the leak.
Old 06-08-12, 04:46 PM
OC3D Elite

The block looks mahoosive on the motherboard
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + Dell U3818DW

Old 06-08-12, 05:47 PM
Average Penis Too

I really like that rig mate
And as Yassarikhan (if I spelled it correct) said, that block looks Ginormous on that board.

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 06-08-12, 06:40 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by yassarikhan786 View Post
The block looks mahoosive on the motherboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
I really like that rig mate
And as Yassarikhan (if I spelled it correct) said, that block looks Ginormous on that board.
Thanks, the block does look large in comparison to the motherboard. I can hardly wait to get some new hardware to replace the old 775 stuff. With the leak check done I am doing some stability testing and am going to see how the temps look.
Old 06-08-12, 06:59 PM
Banned

Looking very nice mate
Old 06-08-12, 07:14 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by seumasbeathan View Post
Looking very nice mate
Thanks seumasbeathan.

Here are some shots of the system all put together and running some Prime 95.

These temps are after running prime 95 for about 5 hours in my garage. The air temperature is about 29C/84F. Not to bad for running 100% for the past 5 hours. I don't think the position of the res is causing to much temperature increase. You can see that the GPU is at 39C in the closed case. There are the two 120 fans pushing air into the case and one 140 fan blowing air out of the roof.
Old 27-08-12, 06:03 PM
OC3D Crew

UPDATE:
I got some of my new components for my build and will updating the progress as I go for anyone interested. I picked up an Asus Maximus IV GENE Z/GEN 3 over the weekend, It am still trying to test it to be sure everything is okay, I posted a thread earlier. http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=45966

I also got an I5-3570K to use. I was unsure if this would work well with the motherboard but after some searching online I updated the BIOS and am hoping it works out. I also got some uchannel molding to use around the window cutout and the cable management holes on the motherboard.

I installed the RayStorm block on the CPU and have begun my internal layout and tubing routing. I also posted an installation video (
Old 27-08-12, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Looking good dude, the raystorm block looks sweet.