Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 31-03-12, 12:18 PM

Hey guys, I visited a computer market about 30 miles up the road from me today, just to have a nosy around at what sort of stuff they do. While i was there i picked up a Trendsonic Zeus midi tower (see image below) that I have decided to build my old computer into. The build is supposed to be a entry level rig and is not replacing my main Xieron MK 3 rig, its either going to be used as a home server or just kept as a spare incase my main rig decides to kill itself. This build will also be done slowly as an ongoing project as i am not in a rush to finish it so will probably be updated once a week.

Unfortunately, and i know a lot of you (including myself) aren't going to like this but i am not putting much effort into cable tidying as there is literally less then half a centimeter behind the mobo tray.

The components will be what i made redundant from my MK 1 Xieron Rig but only the motherboard, and cpu / cooler and ram

Specs:

Motherboard - Gigabyte Gaming GA-EP45T-UD3P

GPU - Either my old 8800GTX OC or my old 280GTX

RAM - OCZ Reaper 6GB (2 x 1gb, 2 x 2gb)

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.31Ghz

PSU - Undecided

HDD - 1 x WD 250gb HDD

COOLER - Stock

Operating System - Used all Win7 licenses so will have to go for Windows XP

I plan on doing some work on it tomorrow so will upload proper pictures of it then.

Old 31-03-12, 12:45 PM
OC3D Elite

This would be a nice little powerhouse with those specs

I may even start to make a similar spec rig myself with win xp, just to play old games that don't work great on Win7 and some old game like GTA vice city, the fps is too high to play the game, everything happens too fast

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out
| Asus X399 Zenith Extreme | AMD Threadripper 1900X | 32GB Gskill Trident Z RGB | Nvidia Titan Xp | Western Digital 500GB & 512GB NVME M.2 SSDs | Corsair AX1500i | LG 32" 4K HDR Monitor | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS Edition | Corsair M65|
Old 01-04-12, 01:31 PM

Well i made a start, unfortunately because i bought the case from a market, the top and rear fans where missing which i didn't realize, no biggy though. And here is a lovely shot of the side of the case without the side panel in case you are interested in seeing what it looks like, you will get an idea of how much room there is once the components are installed, but i checked to make sure a GTX 280 would fit in it and it does, with a little room to spare, although its quite heavy for the case xD

And a view of the front for ya

I had to sit there shining a torch at it because my phones flash now gets picked up by the camera, as you may notice in images that are yet to come I know this isn't much for now but i will upload some more tonight
Old 01-04-12, 08:14 PM

just a quick update, i have fitted the mobo, and cooler and top exhaust fan, not much room there for it though haha, it just fits.

Yes the fan is held on by an elastic band as i need to find the clip for it, i lost it...
Old 10-04-12, 11:31 AM

Finished it, will post images shortly
Old 10-04-12, 10:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to oO_KoPiTe_Oo
Waiting for pics
Old 07-05-12, 03:30 PM

Sorry for the HUGE delay getting back to you been a little bit busy with stuff

I realized when installing things such as the motherboard and graphics card that the quality of the case isn't the best... which to be honest with its price wasn't really surprising. You are doomed if you screw things in too tightly. I also had to replace the front LED fan as i had noticed it was not working properly. It wouldnt spin unless i gave it that initial push to get it started. But apart from that everything else is fine.

The following image was something i notice just after installing the mobo / cpu cooler, although i hadn't taken the photo until it was a complete build. there was just enough space left over

And again here with the side panel on, it just fits...

Next we have the GPU originally i went for the GTX 280 i have spare, but then switched it out for my spare BFG 8800 GTX OC to reduce overall noise. Both cards fit nice and snug with room to spare.

When i was fitting the PSU i was going to put it upside down with the fan facing up to hide the label (like it is in my Xieron Rig) However due to the design of the case, you can only put it in one way, which then made the cabling slightly more difficult.

Next image is of the case completed, with the side panel off so you can get an idea of the space

I know about the cabling, but there is literally no gap behind the motherboard tray, so this is the best i could do with a non-modular PSU

And then finally 2 more images of the front and rear of the case.

Its a nice little powerhouse, and surprisingly its a lot quieter than my main Xieron rig. Temps are nice and cool as well, i will try and post them at some point. but thats about it, its a shame about the cabling, but there is nothing much i can do there to be honest.

sorry for the big delay in posting updates, got a bit carried away haha
Old 03-07-12, 10:58 AM
Average Penis Too

*Thread-Revive* Looks good
Are you going to fold on this rig?

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)

Old 11-03-13, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
*Thread-Revive* Looks good
Are you going to fold on this rig?
Sorry for such the late delay.

It's not been used for folding, i used it as a server for a little bit until I got a VPS, now its lying around as a spare, didnt actually think about that xD
Old 29-01-14, 12:00 AM

I can see the first photo at top of post, but w.i.p. and completed photos are just small X What setting do I need to use to see these?

Thanks